How difficult is it for someone without a bachelors to get accepted to a school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Dustbunny, May 15, 2007.

1. Dustbunny

2+ Year Member

I've got about 150 undergraduate credits under my belt, but no degree(!). Someone mentioned in my other thread that getting into school without a bachelors was rare, which I found surprising.

Does the lack of a BA or BS really make that much difference? If it does, is this partially mitigated by the fact that I have so damn many undergrad credits? Does switching from another integrated program (PharmD) offset this as well?

It never even occurred to me that this might hold me back. :confused:

(Yes, yes I should talk to admissions people, I know. Yes, thank-you.)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    While it isn't a formal requirement, per se, most medical schools will expect you to have earned your undergraduate degree prior to matriculation. There are exceptions, but I think it's fairly rare. That's all I know and can tell you about it. As you mentioned in your parenthetical statement, yes, you would be best served by talking with some actual admissions advisors at your medical schools of interest.

4. scpod

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There will be people on SDN who will tell you about themelves, relatives, or friends with no degrees who went to med school, but the truth is that very, very few people ever actually do it. Most schools have a minimum of 90 hours...my two home-state MD schools are a good example, but neither of them has actually accepted anyone without a degree in over 15 years. There are just way too many people with a degree who are ultra qualified for med school to take a chance on students without one.

The huge number of hours you have could actually prove to be a detriment, not an asset.

5. Dustbunny

2+ Year Member

Maybe I should aim to finish my degree this fall. Hrm... That might not be a bad idea anyway.

6. organic37881

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    While it optimal to have a Bachelors, you can be accepted without one. I was accepted to LMU DCOM without a Bachelors. I have 158 u-grad hours, and 2 Associate degrees. I was not even questioned during my interview about not having a Bachelors. I have repeatedly asked if I need the Bachelors prior to matriculation and was told no. So I think it depends on how strong your application is. Also, my MCAT was not stellar.:)

7. StringerBell

StringerBell It's the final countdown!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Sometimes SDN is so predictable in can be like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

To the OP - Yes, there are those who can get accepted to med school without a bachelor's degree...and they are indeed more the exception than the rule. As competitive as the applications process is, and as much as we go over every detail with a fine-toothed comb, and we are constantly comparing ourselves against our peers, the lack of a bachelor's degree is not easily overlooked. If we are all competing for a very limited number of spots, and the person to your left has a bachelor's degree, and the person to your right has both a bachelor's and a master's...it would behoove you to have one as well. If you're in a position where you can obtain a bachelor's degree at this point, it would be beneficial to do so.

8. DocBR

DocBR MS-3
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I got an unconditional acceptance to AZCOM with roughly 100 credits completed towords a BS in Biology. Not sure how common it is, but I was not an extraordinarily stellar applicant (29 MCAT, 3.7 GPA).

I would complete your degree even if you are accepted as is.

9. youngtraumadoc

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Most schools require an undergraduate degree prior to matriculation. It also shows the schools that you have what it takes to earn a 4 year degree, which means you know what it will take to earn the 4 year DO/MD degree.

However, I am not sure what the requirements are at your school, but by taking too many credits without a degree may lead to iinteresting interview questions. (Why did you take so many credits and pay for school when you did not get a degree? or Why did it take you so long to get the degree?) At my school, if you do not have your degree by 120 credits (needed to graduate) you need to pay extra for any more credits you take-incentive to get your degree within 4 years/120 credits.

Hope that helps.

10. Dustbunny

2+ Year Member

It's easily explained, because I left a six year integrated PharmD program...

I'm thinking I'll just do my BS in Psych with a Bio minor, since I'll probably only have a handful of credits to complete it. Hum. Might mean I have to move for a year, though, since I refuse to take 4 semesters of a foreign language just to get a degree in Psych. :rolleyes: (The state school campus near me requires it, none of the others do.)

11. GreenShirt

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Since a lot of people apply during their senoir year of college, technically they're accepted without a degree. Just a thought. It maybe more obvious that you're not planning to get one if you're not currently enrolled.

12. lrobin15

lrobin15 OMSI
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have also been accepted without a bachelors -I will have 93 hrs at matriculation. I was accepted a LMU-DCOM, LECOM-E, and WVSOM and am waitlisted at PCOM-GA. I do want to make a point that those who are most often accepted w/o a degree are older students who decided to return to school after an absense. If you are on the younger side, you may be told that you need to finish your degree for the extra year of "maturity" -even if that isn't necessarily true.

I do feel it would benefit you to continue working towards your degree while applying. If you get in -fantastic you don't have to finish your undergrad, but if you don't you will have to go back and complete it anyway. Why not just plan smart and continue working towards your degree.

Good luck :luck: Remember not to be discouraged by others. :)