How difficult is it to get in to GI straight out of residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Don

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard some people do an additional chief year to increase their chances of getting into a fellowship...my program's chief year is actually the third year, so no extra year needed...wondering if it really makes a difference or not?

Members don't see this ad.

so any responses? come on guys help a brother out....btw just found out my abstract got accepted to DDW...who else will be in Chicago in May?!

I'm interested in hearing the answer to this as well. Are we talking about derm/integrated plastics type difficulty to match in GI now?

Members don't see this ad :)
GI fellowship is competitive due to the limited number of available spots. I don't know how it would compare to derm/plastics, since they are looking at completely different things. Grades/board scores don't seem to carry much importance at all (not even required at many programs). I don't think that a chief year is absolutely required, but it can certainly help. There are many GI fellows that did not do a chief year. From what I have seen, the most important factors are letters and research (presentation/publication). As an extension of that, where you did your med school/residency (the latter obviously more important than the former) and who you know (i.e. big-name attendings in the field) also play a large and important role. In fact, a strong endorsement from a big-name attending alone can often land the candidate a spot.

In short, not having a chief year is not going to hurt you. Having a poster or oral presentation at DDW is definitely a good start.

Does the research have to be directly related to GI (either basic or clinic research)?
I have a PhD and lots of Research experience, but not in GI field. Will this kind of research help for GI fellow application? Thanks.

You need to be strategic when choosing a residency program right out of med school...find an IM program with a proven track record of hiring most of their GI fellows from within. These are your best bets. It also helps if the prog has a relatively small number of IM residents in comparison to the number of GI fellows, this will maximize your chances. Of course you'll have to show keen interest and be a strong resident.

Using this strategy I matched to my own university hospital's GI program coming out of a foreign med school with no real research or publications...just a poster presentation at a major conference and tied myself to an ongoing project with one of the GI fellows. Now I'm loving life as a GI fellow and can look forward to a lifetime of rewards :thumbup:

I'm interested in hearing the answer to this as well. Are we talking about derm/integrated plastics type difficulty to match in GI now?

Absolutely not. You are talking about a different applicant pool. There just aren't as many AOA people with 250's board scores applying to any medical subspecialty. Not that there aren't some, but there aren't as many.

GI is harder to get into than cards right now, though. GI still I think has a match rate in the 60 something % for US allopathic grads, I think.

We had multiple people not match into GI at my residency program (top 30 or so allopathic IM residency) but most of them got it the 2nd time around. Having good LOR's from GI doctors and having done some research would generally be necessary. It would help to be from a well known IM program, especially one with a well known GI division in its IM department.

A PhD might help, but really you need to do research in something GI related.