how difficult it is to get into nephrology ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nsaid

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,

i know, it is not easy to get into any fellowship after IM....
i am specifically interested in nephrology and i want to know that how difficult it is to get into it after IM provided the place i m doing Im doesnt have it.

shred some light on it plz.

I will like to know what r the plus points to be specifically considered during the residency in IM.

thanks and god bless.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by nsaid
hi everyone,

i know, it is not easy to get into any fellowship after IM....
i am specifically interested in nephrology and i want to know that how difficult it is to get into it after IM provided the place i m doing Im doesnt have it.

shred some light on it plz.

I will like to know what r the plus points to be specifically considered during the residency in IM.

thanks and god bless.

I'd say it's probably considered "average" among fellowships in terms of pure competitiveness. Some IM fellowships (ie. ID, geriatrics) is not difficult at all to obtain if you are not choosy about the location.

Most nephrologists (that I know, anyways) have an special attitude and an aura of weird, hardcore geek (oxymoron??) personae that is less seen in other areas of IM. You will know what I mean once you interacted with them. How well you fit that personae can very much determine your fit with nephrology fellowships.