How do adcoms know what classes are prereqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Every school has their own system for numbering and titling their courses. How does adcoms now what courses are the correct courses to be taken as the prereq?

Members don't see this ad.

NRAI2001 said:
Every school has their own system for numbering and titling their courses. How does adcoms now what courses are the correct courses to be taken as the prereq?

Most medical schools have "institutional memory," i.e. they seem applicants from the same schools over and over again, so they have an idea what Brown University's premed prereqs are for example.

If they run into a school where they have no clue, they might call the school up or consult their catalog.

Doesn't AMCAS' verification of courses have anything to do with that, too?

Members don't see this ad :)
newbie1kenobi said:
Doesn't AMCAS' verification of courses have anything to do with that, too?

:confused: I dont understand your comment :confused:

Unless General Chemistry is named something goofy then it should be kinda obvious. It doens't matter though since you don't have to have your pre-reqs done yet.

NRAI2001 said:
:confused: I dont understand your comment :confused:

I was also asking a question, as I'm not sure about AMCAS' role in verifying prerequisites.

One of my acceptance emails indicated that I need to provide an updated transcript showing that I completed the required math and English courses which I took during the spring, and that the remaining balance of the prerequisites were already "verified by AMCAS."

Yea, courses don't transfer appropriately all the time. My gf is taking a combo course Physics 1 & 2 in Australia with labs. It is a 25 credit course there which translates to 5 US credits. However her school is only giving her 4 credits b/c that's what that school has for physics 1. And now she has to take physics 2 in summer school, at a CC. Is this going to be a problem? I mean it's already a problem for her since she has to retake part of that class but i guess that's what happens with study abroad especially when you don't get a good description of the class ahead of time. :(