Ultravox Vienna

2+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Interested in pursuing full time or part time job as a PCA with the elderly in a nursing home for my gap year. Despite not being considered clinical work experience, is this seen as favorable by adcoms? Most of my application is centered around geriatrics and it's something I potentially want to pursue as a fellowship. I would be continuing to accumulate clinical hours through hospice volunteering throughout my gap year as well. Thanks

Moko

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Interested in pursuing full time or part time job as a PCA with the elderly in a nursing home for my gap year. Despite not being considered clinical work experience, is this seen as favorable by adcoms? Most of my application is centered around geriatrics and it's something I potentially want to pursue as a fellowship. I would be continuing to accumulate clinical hours through hospice volunteering throughout my gap year as well. Thanks
I would see this favorably. You will be caring for some of the most vulnerable in our society. You will also show that you are willing to go out of your comfort zone and get your hands dirty (both figuratively and literally) in service of others. Not everyone is willing to do these things, as many are content to stay inside their college bubble. As an added bonus, this will also enhance your narrative of wanting to practice geriatric medicine. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 1 users
Dec 4, 2020
Madison, Wisconsin
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I was a PCA last summer and it was a great experience. In terms of being considered as clinical work -- the great thing is some adcoms will see it as clinical experience, so you never know. EITHER WAY, IT WILL NOT HURT! It will only be seen as good because it is working with vulnerable people, shows that you are a caring person, similar to CNA work, etc. Also if geriatrics is something that you are very interested then it will be such a great addition and will be a great thing to add to your application and bring up in interviews! I hope you find a great person like I did -- because that makes the work a good time!

Reactions: 2 users
About the Ads

Ultravox Vienna

2+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I would see this favorably. You will be caring for some of the most vulnerable in our society. You will also show that you are willing to go out of your comfort zone and get your hands dirty (both figuratively and literally) in service of others. Not everyone is willing to do these things, as many are content to stay inside their college bubble. As an added bonus, this will also enhance your narrative of wanting to practice geriatric medicine. Just my thoughts.
This is a relief to hear! Thanks so much @Moko

Reactions: 1 user

Ultravox Vienna

2+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I was a PCA last summer and it was a great experience. In terms of being considered as clinical work -- the great thing is some adcoms will see it as clinical experience, so you never know. EITHER WAY, IT WILL NOT HURT! It will only be seen as good because it is working with vulnerable people, shows that you are a caring person, similar to CNA work, etc. Also if geriatrics is something that you are very interested then it will be such a great addition and will be a great thing to add to your application and bring up in interviews! I hope you find a great person like I did -- because that makes the work a good time!
Glad to hear someone had a meaningful experience in this field of work. Looking forward to pursuing this then. thanks @Laura Jean !

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.