How do adcoms view re-takes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DennisdaMenace

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently debating between re-taking O-chem I or taking another upper div. bio class.

My cGPA is rather poor: (3.48 from a good school)
First two years average = 3.1 :scared:(science + non-science)
Last two years average = 3.85 :D (mostly science classes)

O-chem I: C
O-chem II: B
O-chem III: A-

I already took the MCAT (33), so the knowledge wouldn't really help me out there, but I know that many schools weigh pre-req GPA's heavily. I have 2 other C's in my pre-req classes. I'm not really sure how adcoms view re-takes, and want to portray myself as having matured / developed into a better, more motivated student. I figure I already have an upward trend in O-chem so "replacing" the first grade with an A might not do me much good. However, most of my recent grades have been in Bio classes and I want to demonstrate my capability to handle any course.

I'm worried that adcoms might view a re-take as an attempt to get an "easy A." I have not re-taken any courses thus far and don't want to be seen as "dwelling on past mistakes."
One more consideration: re-taking a class at my institution does not affect my GPA whatsoever, though I know AMCAS averages the two grades. Some schools ask to self-report your GPA in their secondary app. and I taking a bio class instead of re-taking O-chem would allow me to report a higher GPA.

Any and all suggestions are much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

AMCAS doesn't replace, they average. So if you got an A the second time around, you'd get 6 credits of B, basically.

Don't retake anything C or better, especially if you've already continued the sequence.

Have you done b-chem?

3.48 is respectable. .02 nets you a 3.5, how many courses will that take?

http://www.back2college.com/raisegpa.htm

AMCAS doesn't replace, they average. So if you got an A the second time around, you'd get 6 credits of B, basically.

Don't retake anything C or better, especially if you've already continued the sequence.

Have you done b-chem?

3.48 is respectable. .02 nets you a 3.5, how many courses will that take?

http://www.back2college.com/raisegpa.htm

By "b-chem" do you mean bio-chem? If that's the case, yes. However, our bio-chem is part of the biology, rather than chemistry department. I did fine in bio-chem.

It will take me about 3 classes (assuming A's) to get to a 3.5.

I think you make a good point with "especially if you've already continued the sequence." It seems rather illogical to go back after finishing the sequence. Just so ashamed of those C's :smack:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you make a good point with "especially if you've already continued the sequence." It seems rather illogical to go back after finishing the sequence. Just so ashamed of those C's :smack:
Eh, I think you proved them out.

If there's a 3/400 chem class that's not something awful like physical chem, you could try that. Sometimes a seminar course will be cake and fun.

What are your other Cs in?

Eh, I think you proved them out.

If there's a 3/400 chem class that's not something awful like physical chem, you could try that. Sometimes a seminar course will be cake and fun.

What are your other Cs in?

1. Physics II electro-mag (engineering)
2. Gen Chem III

Both taken during my regrettable 1rst & 2nd years. The rest of the pre-req's were B's and A's.

Our seminar classes are only offered pass / no pass. The remaining chem classes are....awful to say the least.

Thanks very much for your input!

Wouldn't worry about it then.

Do something easy and interesting.