How do ADCOMS view "U" shaped trends?" did bad last year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBiologist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
here is my GPA by semester

3.9 -> 3.85 -> 3.93 -> 3.2-> 3.0 -> spring 2017

I kinda got lazy in 2016 but am hoping I am kicked back into gear this coming spring semester. Lets say I get back into gear and score a 3.8.

With some summer classes I have my GPA will be a 3.63/s3.64 at the time of my application. My MCAT is good - 519 (130/130/130/129)

I am also a BME at UCB, if that is any saving grace at all.....

I really want to go to a 2nd tier like BU or UCSD

Are those bad semesters going to destroy me?

Members don't see this ad.

tumblr_m140q3aWMu1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That's a LizzyM score of 73... Top 10% of all applicants.

Rule of thumb: if GPA is above 3.5, then you are good if your high MCAT score offsets low gpa...

In terms of your gpa trend, if you do get a 3.7+ next semester and during the summer then admission officers would be able to see that you are not still slacking, so that is good.

In all, I would rather be in your situation than have a 3.7 gpa with a consistent trend and 510 MCAT... a 519 is just very high, making gpa not a big problem when it comes to 2nd tiers.

Currently what I'm seeing is an applicant who nailed his prereqs but struggled with the higher courses in his difficult major. An upward trend would certainly help your case. However even if you didn't nail this last semester, a 3.65ish (even with a downward trend) wouldn't be a death sentence. Plus you have a great MCAT so that always helps.

Reactions: 1 users
Currently what I'm seeing is an applicant who nailed his prereqs but struggled with the higher courses in his difficult major. An upward trend would certainly help your case. However even if you didn't nail this last semester, a 3.65ish (even with a downward trend) wouldn't be a death sentence. Plus you have a great MCAT so that always helps.
yup that's exactly it - my pre med reqs are all solid

They're very common, and typically not lethal. Orgo is the biggest cause. A period of illness or some other negative life event is another.

A 519 MCAT score is nothing to sneeze at, either.

I kinda got lazy in 2016 but am hoping I am kicked back into gear this coming spring semester. Lets say I get back into gear and score a 3.8.

With some summer classes I have my GPA will be a 3.63/s3.64 at the time of my application. My MCAT is good - 519 (130/130/130/129)

Keep in mind that application GPAs are displayed year-by-year, not term-by-term. That should smooth your dips out a bit, especially if you do well spring semester of your junior year.

That said, a J trend is better than a U trend, as it suggests more consistency. Ideally, you intend for some excellent senior year grades to be on your transcript before you apply.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry, but you don't have a U-shaped GPA... What I see looks more like a slide...

I would want to see more than one semester of good grades, and frankly, more than one semester plus one summer session before deciding on your application.

Reactions: 3 users