How do address the question of "What other schools have you applied to"?

• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

FutureDoc2011

10+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2006
Richmond, VA
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hi all - I'm prepping for an interview and need some advice. What's the best way to address the following question: "What other schools have you applied/been accepted to?"

It's an even stickier situation for me b/c I've applied and been accepted to both Osteopathic and Allopathic schools, however the school I'm interviewing at tomorrow is my top choice and is Osteopathic.

Help!:eek:

Lfribble

10+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2007
Erie, PA
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I'd certainly be honest and tell them where you have applied. I'd make it clear that you wanted options. If there is a specific thing about this school that you really like, or something about the osteopathic philosophy that you really like, make it known. Let the school know that you are very interested in their program. I've always taken that question as the admissions people trying to decide if a DO school is a "fallback" in case you don't get in to allo schools. Let them know that's not the case (not necessarilly in those words). Good luck

Entgegen

10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I second the notion of being honest...and definitely let them know that you've been accepted to other schools. It shows that you are interested enough in them that you are willing to (at least temporarily) forego taking an acceptance offer from somewhere else. Schools don't want to accept people that they think would rather attend elsewhere. Good luck!

About the Ads

grinchick5

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I was in the same boat. DO was my first choice, but I needed to stay in a particular geographic area, so I had to apply MD as well. When I interviewed at the DO school I said something like “This is my first choice and if it were totally up to me, this is where I’d go. However, I have a number of other considerations, geographical and otherwise…blah, blah, blah…” That being said, make sure you have a few VERY solid reasons why the school is your first choice b/c they will surely ask.

Good luck tomorrow!! :luck:

Dr.Inviz

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
You go about it as if it's any other school, tell them that they're your #1. That's what I'd do. What are they gonna do when you reject them, threaten you? :laugh:

It's all part of the game. They play theirs, and you can certainly play your own.

Taty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2002
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Well...I honestly told him that I applied to about 30 schools MD +DO...I was asked why...I told something like u see my MCAT is not that amazing. When I was asked about my score and interviewer was like 9 in VR for somebody who is ESL is very good. After I was asked if I was accepted would I go, I said yes because I got very impressed. That was it...

MaximusD

Anatomically Incorrect
10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2006
State of Delirium
www.lmgtfy.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hi all - I'm prepping for an interview and need some advice. What's the best way to address the following question: "What other schools have you applied/been accepted to?"

It's an even stickier situation for me b/c I've applied and been accepted to both Osteopathic and Allopathic schools, however the school I'm interviewing at tomorrow is my top choice and is Osteopathic.

Help!:eek:

Just tell them the truth. In my interviews, I used it to explain how I would do anything to get into medical school and proceeded to explain why I thought that their school was top notch and on the list.

Addendum:

While I agree in part with Inviz, I would just like to add that honesty is always best when possible but you should be confident in your responses. If they ask, would you come here if accepted? A good response is one that is not noncommittal. If you are uncomfortable with saying "this is my first choice" instead say something like "this is an incredibly strong program and I'd be foolish to overlook it"... or something to that effect.

DocOB

10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2006
Gladwin, Michigan
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I'd certainly be honest and tell them where you have applied. I'd make it clear that you wanted options. If there is a specific thing about this school that you really like, or something about the osteopathic philosophy that you really like, make it known. Let the school know that you are very interested in their program. I've always taken that question as the admissions people trying to decide if a DO school is a "fallback" in case you don't get in to allo schools. Let them know that's not the case (not necessarilly in those words). Good luck

here here

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2000
www.pcom.edu
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
What's the best way to address the following question: "What other schools have you applied/been accepted to?"

1. Open mouth
2. Take deep breath
3. Tell them the schools you have applied to

Thats it

Good luck

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.