How do Canadians fund dental education in US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinguette

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

just thought I'd ask how those who got accepted in a US dental school how they intend to fund their education. Where do you get loans from etc?

I called OSAP and they told me that I would probably get 215 dollars a week...HAHA...thats 8000 dollars a year...what am I gonna do with this? :eek:

so yups...anyone with some input?

btw CIBC said that they dont recognize US schools for student line of credits and that I should ask my parents to get a line of credit on their house.

Members don't see this ad.

this is a difficult topic, and i haven't found anything on it. so it's a tough spot....

makes you wish you studied harder to get into a canadian school, doesn't it?

privately funded education loans

Members don't see this ad :)
Try Bank of Montreal and CanHelp

this is a difficult topic, and i haven't found anything on it. so it's a tough spot....

um....so are u saying that onlyloser canadians come to the US for their dental education?

I think the US schools are a lot better than Canadian ones. I dont think it is fair to assume that the canadians who go to the US are the ones who didnt get high enough marks to get into Canadian schools.

Also, consider those who live on the border with the states and would rather cross the border than move miles away from home...

HAHA...I love it how tons of ppl replied to this before me...but listen, if you're american, look at it this way. I'm using your system and getting an education from you school. I will pay twice the amount I would pay in a Canadian school but I'll also make twice the amount once I graduate. I'll pay less taxes in the state and I will also be richer.

So nopes, I'm not the loser coz I essentially took a spot of an american student. He doesnt get a life. I do!

Um okay... Going to school in the states does not guarantee one finding a job there after if they are foreigners since we need a Green Card following our education.

Also, I don't believe dent1021 is American... and in many ways he is belittling the applicant pool since if we were lazy in undergrad, then there would be no way we would've been accepted to dental school. Also, the application process for the states is more rigorous and looks at more than just numbers. Even though the education costs double, you get what you pay for compared to Ontario schools (not sure about the rest of the country).

okay, to answer the OP's question...go to RBC and get a student health professional loan...you can get a max of $150,000 CDN. they fund american schools. then, to fund the rest, look up private loans in the states that fund international students. you may need an american cosigner tho so hopefully you know someone. these loans usually cover the full cost of dschool but RBC rates are much lower so only take out what you need. good luck

150,000 isnt that bad..... do you know at what % though?

wow, you guys are funny. I really enjoyed the responses...don't pop a vessel.

All I was saying was that dental school is cheaper for canadians. And that I'd rather pay 20 than 40 k per year, or a total tuition debt of 80 vs 160, 000 k.

So stop being a bunch of *****s and take some criticism like an adult.

clearly, that's not the way you made it sound. My suggestion is that you spend more time phrasing your answers...and not reply to posts where you cant help, for that matter.

Hope you dont act like a ***** and that you take this criticism like an adult.

wow, you guys are funny. I really enjoyed the responses...don't pop a vessel.

All I was saying was that dental school is cheaper for canadians. And that I'd rather pay 20 than 40 k per year, or a total tuition debt of 80 vs 160, 000 k.

So stop being a bunch of *****s and take some criticism like an adult.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks dizzle23x,

Do you know if you need a cosigner for RBC's loan?..and if you have taken a loan in the past, can you share from which branch you took the loan?

prime + 0% floating

Thanks dizzle23x,

Do you know if you need a cosigner for RBC's loan?..and if you have taken a loan in the past, can you share from which branch you took the loan?

i'm not sure about the cosigner for RBC but i used my parents just to make things easier...i'm sure any branch you go to will have the same regulations but just call the closest one to your house before going just to make sure

I thought Ontario schools are pretty good and on par with American schools in general. Is that not the case?

HAHA...I love it how tons of ppl replied to this before me...but listen, if you're american, look at it this way. I'm using your system and getting an education from you school. I will pay twice the amount I would pay in a Canadian school but I'll also make twice the amount once I graduate. I'll pay less taxes in the state and I will also be richer.

So nopes, I'm not the loser coz I essentially took a spot of an american student. He doesnt get a life. I do!

dent1021's response was rude and insulting, but you just expanded the argument to include all Americans. There's no need to sport the cocky attitude. Just thank the US for making education a priority and allowing you the opportunity to have one. Thanks.

This response explains why I believe that Americans should have the first opportunities to be admitted to graduate programs before foreign students. Thanks for making my argument for me and solidifying my position.

This response explains why I believe that Americans should have the first opportunities to be admitted to graduate programs before foreign students. Thanks for making my argument for me and solidifying my position.

maybe you should take some advice from your fellow american and not let one dude piss you off and then rip on all canadian/foreign kids...

dent1021's response was rude and insulting, but you just expanded the argument to include all Americans. There's no need to sport the cocky attitude. Just thank the US for making education a priority and allowing you the opportunity to have one. Thanks.

maybe you should take some advice from your fellow american and not let one dude piss you off and then rip on all canadian/foreign kids...

I agree with you, but let's not be hostile about it. For some reason a lot of the canadians on here are really cocky - I don't know why cause I think for the most part, they're pretty grounded. Let's not judge all canadians based on the few irritating ones that post stupid things.

hehe no one considered the gorgous weather in florida or cali when us canadians are suffering in -27degree weather!
but i wouldn't say that american schools are "Better" than our canadians ones, just a change...also consider the perferct 4.0 u need to get into the limited canadian dental schools...
america just gives us a selection! thank u america!

the only canadian dental school with good weather is UBC.. and it has the grand total of 40 seats... with 4 reserved for out of province applicants!

p.s. "good weather" in BC can be subjective;)

the only canadian dental school with good weather is UBC.. and it has the grand total of 40 seats... with 4 reserved for out of province applicants!

p.s. "good weather" in BC can be subjective;)

I hate this truth, but my province (BC) does not reserve quota for anyone. In or out of province makes no difference. I hate how ppl from other provinces can come and take our seats while we can't go to other provinces and take their seats.

Hmm, maybe it's U of Alberta that reserves 4 seats specifically for OOP. And I coudln't help but notice, but you got 30 in carving!!! me too!! can i be carving king?? :p your cDAT stats are very close to mine, but i got rejected by UBC, and I wasn't even close, so therefore i conclude that your GPA must be miles ahead of mine... :thumbup:

Um okay... Going to school in the states does not guarantee one finding a job there after if they are foreigners since we need a Green Card following our education.

Also, I don't believe dent1021 is American... and in many ways he is belittling the applicant pool since if we were lazy in undergrad, then there would be no way we would've been accepted to dental school. Also, the application process for the states is more rigorous and looks at more than just numbers. Even though the education costs double, you get what you pay for compared to Ontario schools (not sure about the rest of the country).

they better give me a green card to practice in the U.S. after taking out all that loans so I can pay back or I'll just go back to my country and they'll never find me (I'm not from Canada)

kids, kids,

I'm gone for 1 day and ppl label me as a cocky canadian...lord have mercy!...LOL

no honestly, I retract my statement. I'm very grateful that I got in American schools.

sure I was a lil pissed about the earlier comment and acted on the spot when I wrote my comments...but...ummm, in simple terms....I apologize...:D

Love you all :love: