How do dental schools view GPAs from Rutgers New Brunswick?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kavity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard several people say that dental schools view a 3.2 GPA at Queens as a 3.8.
How do dental schools view a Rutgers New Brunswick GPA of a 3.5?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
They don't view any GPAs different. A 3.2 is a 3.2.

If the schools are going to weight the different gpas from different school differently then whats the point of having a gpa verification system in aadsas?

Members don't see this ad :)
I really think that, by and large, a 3.2 is a 3.2 is a 3.2.

Human nature, maybe, would cause one to automatically assume that classes are going to be harder at an Ivy league (regardless of whether or not this is actually the truth). Regardless, I think GPAs are viewed as being pretty standard across the board.

That's why people who go to schools where As are nigh impossible in science classes are kind of just shooting themselves in the foot. At least in my opinion. :)

Reactions: 1 user

Human nature, maybe, would cause one to automatically assume that classes are going to be harder at an Ivy league (regardless of whether or not this is actually the truth). Regardless, I think GPAs are viewed as being pretty standard across the board.

That's why people who go to schools where As are nigh impossible in science classes are kind of just shooting themselves in the foot. At least in my opinion. :)

They really are and (this is purely my opinion too) I had a friend who went to Duke for undergrad and didnt do so hot cause the classes there are tough. And I used to be jealous of him for getting into such a prestigious uni for undergrad. But now he cant get into med school and is working as nurse.

Now I probably should have swallowed my pride and gone to a school with easier science major courses and get a 4.0 instead of trying to get into one with a rigorous science program. But I regret nothing, if it wasnt for my school, I wouldnt have met the awesome professors I met and the connections I now have.

Unless your going to Harvard for undergrade doesn't matter.

I've heard that there's a website floating around out there with rankings of schools, and that's how dental schools view our grades and how prestigious our institution is. There has to be some amount of truth to it. I mean, not all schools are created equal, and if this were really the case, wouldn't everyone just go to community for two years and then continue their last two years at a school with the highest grade inflation rate?
All in all, an A is an A, but there has to be some sort of accreditation for suffering through all that mental torture at the mercy of our professors... right?

I've heard that there's a website floating around out there with rankings of schools, and that's how dental schools view our grades and how prestigious our institution is. There has to be some amount of truth to it. I mean, not all schools are created equal, and if this were really the case, wouldn't everyone just go to community for two years and then continue their last two years at a school with the highest grade inflation rate?
All in all, an A is an A, but there has to be some sort of accreditation for suffering through all that mental torture at the mercy of our professors... right?

ranking of EVERY undergradute program in the united states...? Doubt it. That's more then 2,000+ schools. And then checking EACH student that applies. Yiiiiiiiiiikes.
You're right. Not all schools are created equal. That's why we take the DAT. And people who don't attend CC from the start is their own personal preferences. Whether they want that "college" experience or whatever. And a couple of dental schools don't accept the CC credits. So theirs that.

You're right, not all universities are created equal. However, there is a huge difference between CC and a 4-year uni, thats why there are often CC credit limits and CC restrictions on prereqs.

Even though it might not be as well known throughout the country but I hope my state school will recognize the rigorousness of my schools science program.

Reactions: 1 users
I've heard several people say that dental schools view a 3.2 GPA at Queens as a 3.8.

Just send your school transcripts to addsas, and ask them that same question when they calculate your GPA.

I see 3.2, and when I rub my eyes, again it looks like 3.2.

Who cares which school you went to.

Inag
I doubt they'll weight your GPA differently just because it's from Harvard.
we can agree to disagree then. So your saying if someone interviewing you saw that you graduated from hardvard (or some notoriously hard school) with a 3.2 and some other regular school with a 3.2 it's the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
Recent Rutgers Grad here, supposedly some schools in the Northeast know how competitive the science program here is. I remember our Orgo and System Physiology had like a 33% fail rate..crazy i know
But hopefully they see this!
http://news.rutgers.edu/news-releas...-according-center-world/20140716#.U8gsWvldWha
Thanks for the article. Hopefully schools in the area realize the rigor of the science courses at Rutgers (and other schools as well). It would be a shame to have all of our hard work overlooked.

I'm going to call aadsas.

And complain

Im gonna write a very strongly worded letter to AADSAS.

Unless your going to Harvard for undergrade doesn't matter.
kinda curious why people keep saying this....Isn't Harvard one of those schools where it's easy to pass once admitted? just harder to get into?

Just because it's easy to pass doesn't mean it's easy to have a high GPA. The schools with "good reputations" tend to make it easy not to fail, but it's rather hard to stand out from the pack.

who knows....