How do dental students support themselves through dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slash

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who will receive no parental support, how are you supposed to support yourself through dental school? I'm assuming loans...but do you get enough in loans to pay your tuition, fees, and books (PLUS) rent, utilities, food, car payment, car insurance, etc? Just wondering how it all works for dental students. Are you all eating ramen, or do loans cover you enough to live comfortably and focus purely on classes?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm running on a combination of loans ($7,000 living allowance this semester), National Guard benefits, and a couple small class jobs. I suspect the loans alone would be enough to see me through a pretty comfortable lifestyle, but the three combined provide well more than necessary to live on.

Originally posted by Slash
For those who will receive no parental support, how are you supposed to support yourself through dental school? I'm assuming loans...but do you get enough in loans to pay your tuition, fees, and books (PLUS) rent, utilities, food, car payment, car insurance, etc? Just wondering how it all works for dental students. Are you all eating ramen, or do loans cover you enough to live comfortably and focus purely on classes?

Grad loans are different than undergrad loans... you get all the money that you need. Which includes everything you listed except car payments/insurance. Although you do get a small amount allocated for transportation (ie bus/sub pass). There are plenty of private education loans available for you to take out a bit extra if you wanna live a slightly more comfortably but just remember you be paying interest on whatever you buy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Turnpike
Grad loans are different than undergrad loans... you get all the money that you need. Which includes everything you listed except car payments/insurance. Although you do get a small amount allocated for transportation (ie bus/sub pass). There are plenty of private education loans available for you to take out a bit extra if you wanna live a slightly more comfortably but just remember you be paying interest on whatever you buy.

You don't get any grant money like undergrad so all of it seems to be on loans.

Some schools offer their own grants however.

I am fortunate that my parents give me a small allowance.
The loans cover the basics---housing, food, etc. But yes, expect to eat Ramen if you are on no other support than loans.
:(

Oh no---I meant, my loans cover my housing, period (in my case), because I chose to live by myself in a studio which costs a fortune in nyc.
So my parents give me a small allowance so I can eat!
If my parents gave me the allowance for housing and rent in nyc, than I would have a LOT of spending money...no more top ramen!

For those of us who are married, we rely on our spouse. My wife is working to get her residency, so I hope I can get some money for food while in dental school. LOL.

In my opinion the best way to support yourself is with the brunnet scholarship.(They also offer the blond, black, and rare red scholarship). The application process is simple, you have to find either of the above mentioned. Take the female on many dates win her heart and she will put you through D-school. My Brunnet scholarship is an Occupational Therapist, So the scholarship generates around 46,000 a year per year. As long as my scholarship continues to love me and stays with me. Of course my scholarship is investing in me cuz when i finish she will accrue intrest from her brown haired scholarship(me). Im hoping around 100-200 G'S per year.

Originally posted by bucktooth
For those of us who are married, we rely on our spouse. My wife is working to get her residency, so I hope I can get some money for food while in dental school. LOL.

Not all married students have spouses who work. I'm married with a son, and another child on the way this spring. My wife doesn't work. We have free rent, as well as food stamps.

I figure I'll be paying into the government programs for years to come (40% tax bracket? eeeek), so might as well use it while I need it.

How do you get free rent and food stamps?

Originally posted by ShawnOne

Great question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ItsGavinC
so might as well use it while I need it.

I may support my family same way if I go to dental school...... free housing,food stamp and medicaid. ..... Our government is investing on me.....

Originally posted by ShawnOne

By apply for housing.....

I did help lots of people get that kind of stuffs .. hm.. part of my community services.

Crittibug:
In houston: free medical servive --> Gold Card

in texas: free children health insurance -->CHIPS
medicaid,food and housing allowance if you have no income

There are lots of free stuffs around houston if you get rite connection.

Gavin I disagree but hey, that is part of what makes America great. I hope you don't take this personally.

Government food and housing programs SHOULD be for people who CAN'T afford food and housing, not people who don't WANT to. You could take out more loans, borrow from your family, put your wife to work, or put off having kids until you could support them youself. ****edited for poor discernment****.

I'm sure you have reasons for doing this and they may even be good reasons.

Of course you realize this means you can NEVER complain about your 40% tax bracket or the welfare abusers who live off of it.

JMHO espoused while doning the NOMEX

Rob

Not all married students have spouses who work. I'm married with a son, and another child on the way this spring. My wife doesn't work. We have free rent, as well as food stamps.

I figure I'll be paying into the government programs for years to come (40% tax bracket? eeeek), so might as well use it while I need it.

Originally posted by no2thdk999
Government food and housing programs SHOULD be for people who CAN'T afford food and housing, not people who don't WANT to.

Of course you realize this means you can NEVER complain about your 40% tax bracket or the welfare abusers who live off of it.

Agreed... I never imagined dental students fitting the description for gov't programs till I saw a number of my classmates taking advantage of this loophole. I have patients who can't qualify for the gov't handouts who actually need them - then my roommate mentions applying for Medicaid "because I'm poor and I don't have any money." Right, coming from someone who drives a brand new car, has a cell phone, fancy gym membership, etc. I think most of my classmates fit this description as well. My friends tell me the gov't never gives anything away for "free" - if you hit it big and start earning lots of money, they will come back and get your payback for the dole they gave you in dental school. Don't know if it's true.

You know these are the first people who will be complaining about the 40% tax bracket being so unfair.

NOTE: Not everyone fits the description I gave above. There probably are dental students who need the gov't handout to survive day to day and deserve it. But I'm just shocked at the number of dental students who think they deserve the gov't freebies while they are living it large in professional school.

BTW, isn't this why they ask for parental info on the FAFSA for professional school, no matter how old you are? To figure out who actually grew up in a poor family, as opposed to those who grew up in luxury and are now just starting out on their own in dental school and therefore look poor on paper. Otherwise, we could all put down zero for our incomes while in school and all be poor dental students on Medicaid and food stamps while driving our Beamers and Jags to school.

Bottom line is that these programs are for people who the GOVERNMENT decides needs them. If an individual has 2 kids, and a wife who opts to raise children, and the government grants him food stamps, subsidized housing, and medicaid, then the GOVERNMENT must have decided HE QUALIFIED (and, possibly, approves of what he is doing (i.e. going to dental school and not working). The State requires tons of financial information to reach their decisions, and then, at least in some states, you must reapply every 3 months. This is so they can verify that you still need the assistance. How can you argue with that?

If your buddy has a Jaguar that he drives around, and he wants to apply for state sponsored programs, then he must list the luxury car as an asset. If state XYZ decides he needs assistance, then either he REALLY does or the people in the state office are a little easy with their money.

Everyone doesn't fit the same mold. It's too difficult to say what applies for one person appllies for the other too. That's why we allow the government to make the decisions and to set the standards.

In Gavin's defense, which is unsolicited, his wife decided to raise children full-time rather than work. I think, depending on your values, that the monetary value of having a mother stay at home to raise her children is higher than any other service she could provide out of the home--not only to the family, but also to society. Sometimes staying home isn't an option for the mother, and then she must go back to school or find a job. Just my opinion.

Without getting into a lot of mumbo-jumbo about this or that, I don't think anyone can really say one way or the other whether a Dental student who makes use of State sponsored programs REALLY needs it or not--it's not up to us to decide.

I'll agree with most of that; but, as a student who also benefits substantially from government subsidy (I'm getting TONS of money from the National Guard, relative to the amount of actual work required from me), I'll also second the previous motion that those of us in this fortunate situation will have no grounds at all to complain about our tax bracket in a few years.

So if I understand many of you correctly, you'd rather crackheads with 4 kids who prostitute themselves take part in government programs, rather than families trying to obtain an education.

Interesting.

How will getting off the government dole make me like myself better in the morning?

What, exactly, do you think the programs are for?

If they aren't for people trying to better themselves (not to mention those who will be paying into them for years to come), then who are they for?

I find your hypothesis ignorant and unsubstantiated.

Originally posted by JavadiCavity
Bottom line is that these programs are for people who the GOVERNMENT decides needs them. If an individual has 2 kids, and a wife who opts to raise children, and the government grants him food stamps, subsidized housing, and medicaid, then the GOVERNMENT must have decided HE QUALIFIED (and, possibly, approves of what he is doing (i.e. going to dental school and not working). The State requires tons of financial information to reach their decisions, and then, at least in some states, you must reapply every 3 months. This is so they can verify that you still need the assistance. How can you argue with that?

It's true. It isn't like the applications for that stuff is a piece of cake-- it's quite a pain in the ass.

Further, we are audited every month.

As a sidenote, the lady at the government office looked at my wife and I and said "We are always happy to help you guys, we know you have goals and plans." Her words, not mine. Read into that what you may, but I suspect those sentiments are the same as most government workers who deal with aid.

Originally posted by no2thdk999

Government food and housing programs SHOULD be for people who CAN'T afford food and housing, not people who don't WANT to. You could take out more loans, borrow from your family, put your wife to work, or put off having kids until you could support them youself. I know it's easier this way now but get off the government dole, you'll like yourself better in the morning.

Rob, I'm curious as to who CAN'T afford those things then. I think 99% of the people on the government programs don't WANT to.

Seriously, why can't the dope user with 5 kids put themselves to work?

And I won't complain about helping people in NEED with my tax money, but my philosophy is quite the opposite of yours. I'll help people going through school with all they need, but I have no place in my heart for addicts, dealers, felons, ****** and the like, living off my tax money.

If you're trying to better yourself and your position then I'm happy that my tax money is assiting you. Still, I feel perfectly justified in whining about the tax bracket I'll be in, simply because 1) I don't think the money is helping those who I would like it to help and 2) tax money is used for a great array of things, many of which I disagree with. Aid funding is only the tip of the iceberg.

Originally posted by JavadiCavity

heh buddy ! Most of ya dental students are benefits substantially from government subsidy ------> STAFFORD LOAN. I am paying your student loan's interest with my sweat tax money right now. I have to work my @ss off to pay for part of your education .. well but it's worth.

sorry Gavin, I understand your situation but I don't think you have the right to deny assistance to the familes of people who call "addicts, ******, and dealers". What about the kids of those people? Do they not deserve basic care and a chance at education? Granted, their parents will likely abuse the money, but to deny them means no escape for their kids, and the vicious cycle continues.

Also, I believe you have a second baby coming? Why have the baby now then, when you know you can't afford it?

I'm sure you're a good guy and a great father, but sometimes your total disregard for the marginal people in society and almost elitist attitude is hard to swallow. I too am unhappy about paying high taxes to support some unsavorable members of society, but their children shouldn't be denied of benefits and there ARE those who try to turn things around. Didnt you ever have former drug addicts/gang members give motivational talks in your high school? Without compassion and assistance, their rehabilitation would not have been possible. Nothing is black or white. Tax money will always be inappropriately spent, but i think denying assistance to those marginal in society will only create more problems in that they are totally denied the chance to rehabilitate and also they may resort to more violent means of obtaining money.

The worst case scenario by giving them assistance is that they use them to buy more drugs and waste their own lives and people's hard earned money. Ultimately social assisatnce won't solve the problem, but that's another issue.

Like I said in the first paragraph I wrote, please don't take this personally.

So if I understand many of you correctly, you'd rather crackheads with 4 kids who prostitute themselves take part in government programs, rather than families trying to obtain an education.

No, you don't understand me correctly. I said government funding for housing and food should be for people who CAN NOT provide for themselves. To me that means physically or mentally disabled people, children under 18, and some elderly.

How will getting off the government dole make me like myself better in the morning?

Self respect. Just like the good feeling you get when you study hard for a test and do well even though your friend went to the beach and did the same because he had a copy of the old exams. Hard work is it's own reward.

What, exactly, do you think the programs are for?

If they aren't for people trying to better themselves (not to mention those who will be paying into them for years to come), then who are they for?

Like I said above these programs SHOULD be for people who can't provide for themselves. They are a safety net, not a convenience. God bless you for trying to better yourself! Your hard work and sacrifice will pay off 100 fold. The fact that you don't WANT your wife to work, and you WANT two kids now, and you don't WANT to take out additional loans doesn't mean the rest of the country should have to finance you.

I find your hypothesis ignorant and unsubstantiated.

Fair enough.

Rob

It's true. It isn't like the applications for that stuff is a piece of cake-- it's quite a pain in the ass.

Further, we are audited every month.

As a sidenote, the lady at the government office looked at my wife and I and said "We are always happy to help you guys, we know you have goals and plans." Her words, not mine. Read into that what you may, but I suspect those sentiments are the same as most government workers who deal with aid.

My heart is breaking over the strenuous application for free stuff!

Of course the lady at the Gov office likes you, it's not her money your getting (but actually it is), and you're the reason she has a job!

Rob

Rob, I'm curious as to who CAN'T afford those things then. I think 99% of the people on the government programs don't WANT to.

Seriously, why can't the dope user with 5 kids put themselves to work?

AMEN!! You are telling Noah about the flood. Like I said physically or mentally disabled, some elderly, and kids. Everybody else can take advantage of a great program they have in many local businesses. You show up 40 hours/wk and they give you these green pieces of paper that you can swap for whatever you want.

And if they don't WANT to, they can deal with the consequences on their own nickel.

And I won't complain about helping people in NEED with my tax money, but my philosophy is quite the opposite of yours. I'll help people going through school with all they need, but I have no place in my heart for addicts, dealers, felons, ****** and the like, living off my tax money.

But Gavin that's just it you don't NEED it. It's more convenient, and gives you money to have a 2nd child (who I hope is a good looking as the first), go out to eat, not have to borrow as much, see a movie or two..... Loans are plentiful, you have an I assume able bodied spouse, family to depend on. Why not take responsibilty for yourself instead hitching a ride on the government dole?

If you're trying to better yourself and your position then I'm happy that my tax money is assiting you. Still, I feel perfectly justified in whining about the tax bracket I'll be in, simply because 1) I don't think the money is helping those who I would like it to help and 2) tax money is used for a great array of things, many of which I disagree with. Aid funding is only the tip of the iceberg.

Nope. You can't have it both ways. You can't get mad at everybody else using the system to their advantage if you do it yourself.

Rob

My opinion:

You save around $100k+ if you go to your state's dental school. Guess who is paying for that ? The people in your state through their property taxes. You are worse than people on welfare's roll.

With that $100k+, your state will able to provide free housing, medicaid and foodstamps for several families for 4 yrs.

Why not take responsibilty for yourself instead hitching a ride on the government dole? ----> go to .....

PRIVATE SCHOOLS

Rob,

Thanks for your posts, I respect your opinion.

I also realize that you DID preface your initial comments with a warning to "not take it personally," however you then went on to critique my values, life choices, personal goals, and self respect all in one post.

How could I NOT take that personally? I can FULLY understand you having a difficult time with those who take advantage of government programs, and even perhaps those who do so while in a professional program such as dental school. That's fine and because we disagree isn't the end of the world.

I don't, however, appreciate the direct and personal insults included in your statements. My initial post was merely answering the question of the OP. It is an undisputable fact that some students at all dental schools are partaking in some form of governmental aid (be it food stamps, cash assistance, subsudized housing, Medicaid, etc.). Your response directed solely and pointedly at me was, to be honest, a bit hurtful. It indeed did make me quite sad to have somebody who knows me only through an internet forum question choices that are very personal and dear to my heart.

You, nor Lestat who questions why I'm having another child, know of my wife's health conditions. To be frank, not everybody can get pregnant at any time they choose. We are inclined to take what we get. Certainly everybody has a different situation, and there ARE those who unrightfully abuse government assistance. Rather or not *I* am one of those (in your eyes) probably ought to be kept to yourself.

For what it's worth, we don't eat out, I'm wearing the same shoes right now that I wore three years ago, our newest piece of furniture is a loveseat from 1987 (Goodwill special), and our idea of a big spending spree is buying a $4.99 T-shirt for my son at Target. We can't take out any more private or federal loans (we already checked into it PRIOR to applying for assistance).

I'm more than open to hearing your opinions, but go easy on ME and my family, will ya?

:)

Edit: And yes, I certainly CAN still gripe about taxes when I'm out in the profession, simply because I don't agree with where our tax dollars go. It has NOTHING to do with assistance programs, I just don't appreciate the other ways the $$ is spent, both on a federal and local level. If there was a box to check for "helping those who need it," I would gladly pay into it--but I'd rather the spinning heads in Washington get none of it to use as they see fit.

gavin

my post was not meant to critize your family planning. if your wife's health necessitates that you have a second child now, i understand. what i did not agree with was your criticism of helping marginal people who made terrible mistakes but may be trying to turn their lives around, and also their children, who may be suffering because of their father/mother's sins.

it was not meant to be a personal attack, since i did not understand why you would go on having a second child if you're dependent on food stamps. i now understand your situation. so, as you can see, it's all too easy to pass judgement on people, whether they're drug addicts, ******, or single mothers with one too many children, or a dental student who is on food stamps but is having another child. some of them dont deserve sympathy, but some may have a back story that would help us better understand their predicament.

anyhow hope your wife is doing ok and best of luck with your second kid!! :p

Rob,

Thanks for your posts, I respect your opinion.

Dangit Gavin there you go getting all personable on me. It's much easier arguing politics with some one who argues back!

So you made me go back and re-read what I typed. I had honestly never heard of a grad student getting such aid. While I meant what I said, I did not convey that message in the most uplifting manner, especially the part about respect in the morning. I apologize for that caustic jab, you deserve better than that and I'll go back and edit it. My intention was not to insult or humble. Well honestly maybe it was a little but as usual now I wish I hadn't. I'm sorry.

Read those last two words again.

I hope you and Mrs. C have a soccer team full (plus subs and free agents) of future little dentists.

Rob

Wow. Now I can fully appreciate when somebody tells me NOT to get married and have kids while I'm in school.

Originally posted by D.M.D dude
Wow. Now I can fully appreciate when somebody tells me NOT to get married and have kids while I'm in school.
Getting married doesn't necessarily have to be a financial burden. My fiancée and I will be getting married at the end of my second year, right after she finishes college. She'll be working while I finish dental school and any post-doctoral training, and THEN we'll start thinking about little feet and their pitter-pattering. Everything's a trade-off, but we think this is the one that will make us happiest.

Bill's post is right on the money. Things that we often view as being mutually inclusive rarely are. Not all students are poor, not all married students are poor, etc., etc.

Rob,

No hard feelings at all, I've been on SDN long enough to recognize that such an attitude won't get me anywhere.

I HONESTLY appreciate your opinions, and your posts are the other side of the story to posts--and that is something that everybody deserves to hear.

Hey everyone,

This is my first time browsing the "dental" forum although I frequent the "pre-dental" one. I just got some acceptances this past week, so I took the priveledge to browse this forum. Reading this thread has been great. It showed people discussing real life issues that dental students go through and how everyone has a truely unique situation as they go through school. What I read from all of this is that people do what they need to in order to make it through dental school, which is commendable in itself.