How do DO schools view not having a committee letter?

nm825

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2012
Status
I'm pretty close to having a nervous breakdown here. My school committee requires a minimum of 3 LOR (one from a science professor, one from a professor in your major (economics), and a third LOR). The committee has a deadline of February 28.

Unfortunately, I graduated last May and idiotically really never made an effort to get to know my science professors. It's absolutely killing my inside that I didn't, but at this point, it is what it is. I've emailed one who I think might remember me to see if I could get something generic, but he hasn't responded. I am going to give it a few more days, and if he doesn't respond, I might send another email or email the other professors whose classes I got As in, even though they don't know me.

Regardless, I was planning on taking a class at a community college to try and get a decent science letter before I apply in June. Now, if I can't get anyone to respond, I am going to have to take a second science class, pray I do well in both, and try to get a second LOR from a community college.

My question is how bad is it that I might not have a committee letter but instead just use a group of letters? Second, and maybe more importantly, how bad does it look that my only two science letters are from a community college after I already graduated? For the record, my stats are going to be pretty competitive for DO schools (3.66, 3.43, 13/11/11 = 35 MCAT) and my other LORs will be fairly strong (economics professor, work supervisor, and a DO).

guylewis

5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I didn't have a committee letter. but then again my school didn't do committee letters. but the individual letters were totally cool for the places I applied at. None of my interviewers or adcoms ever mentioned anything about the committee letter to me, come to think of it.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2007
Narnia
Status
Medical Student
1.) I didn't have a committee letter and ended up with 7 interviews. Sending in individual letters is fine.

2.) You have a freaking 35 MCAT. Just make sure your LORs aren't written with crayon on a paper napkin. No DO school is going to screen you.

darklabel

PGWhy
7+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
2.) You have a freaking 35 MCAT. Just make sure your LORs aren't written with crayon on a paper napkin. No DO school is going to screen you.
Well, hopefully your teacher will use Crayola and not the cheap knock off ;)

But in all seriousness, I agree. OP will be fine.

OP
N

nm825

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2012
Status
Thanks for the responses guys, but what are your thoughts on the fact that my two science LOR are coming from a community college?

I'm hoping like hell I can just get one of my UG professors to write one.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2007
Narnia
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for the responses guys, but what are your thoughts on the fact that my two science LOR are coming from a community college?

I'm hoping like hell I can just get one of my UG professors to write one.
I was out of school for 3 years and just emailed every science professor I ever took a class with. My emails were very individualized and I wrote what I had learned and why I liked their classes. Don't send a generic request.

Most of them admitted they didn't remember me but my email compelled them to write one.

I don't think it will matter if they come from CC professors. If the LORs are strong (eg. Mm825 was extremely compassionate about his studies. He ranks at the top of my class and I would love to have him as my physician one day) then you're good.

With your stats, it's even less of an issue.

If you would like to see an example of what I emailed the professors then PM me.

Dr. Zombie

5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2013
Indianapolis
Status
Medical Student
I think Committee letters were a "thing" back in the days, but nobody cares anymore to be honest. With the internet and social media rising, pre-meds are becoming more and more self-educated that many are not using their premed advisors/committee for advise or letters--especially since alot of these "advisors" and committee are ignorant, biased, and malignant based on MANY testaments I've learned of.

Reactions: happypremed1

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Quit fussing; you're fine. We don't care if we see seven different LORs or one committee letter. The latter is nicer because it's a summary, but we never ding anyone for not having one.