How do I answer these job interview questions appropriately?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackBantie

The Black Bantam
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on leaving my hardcore "posters!!! prestige!!! publishing!!!" academic job for jobs that still allow me to work with residents and students during patient care but I'll have overall significantly less academic responsibilities and making more money. It's win-win in my book as I've learned that the career for pursuing academic promotion is not for me but I like making money and I like working with residents and students on rounds.

How do I appropriately and professionally convey this feeling during job interviews? I'm sure they're going to ask about it. I want them to know that I'm still interested in academics but I'm tired of using up my free time in the evenings and weekends working on abstract submissions for conferences, working on schedules, working on powerpoint, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Exactly as you have. Although I’d put a more positive spin on it and say you enjoy providing direct supervision and bedside teaching to students and feel the current academic environment demands too much of other things that take you away from being able to focus on clinical care and education.

Reactions: 1 users