How do I answer: Where does medicine fit in your life?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilverItchyMous

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not exactly sure what the question is asking. When asked where does medicine fit in my life, am I supposed to talk about how I plan on balancing my personal life and practicing medicine? or is it asking specifically about why I chose to pursue a career in medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

I would interpret this question as being: "What do you want to accomplish with your life and how do you see medicine helping you accomplish these goals" and/or "what values are important to you and how does medicine fit into the picture?" I get the feeling that it's asking more about the future rather than just a rehash of what you've done to reach this point in your life.

Bingo. This question if answered correctly can really make you stand out. Talk about your values, beliefs, motivations and goals and how they fit into medicine. Where do you see yourself and who do you want to help? What drives you to get out of bed in the morning? I'm older, and I always emphasize how medicine is actually a second priority to my family and they eat that up. They usually know your history so don't even mention anything unless it is an example of one of the above.

Edit: dpsPanda I take it you are from South Jersey?

Members don't see this ad :)
I take it as more of a work/life balance question.

I agree. I think it would be really fun to be an interviewer and hear all these bright students talk about their lives and how they hope to use medicine in the future.

I think you should tell them that you would like to fit medicine in between your wake 'n bake and your late night binge drinking.