Medical How do I ask for an expedited decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a hefty scholarship from a mid-tier school which I like, but I am on 4 WLs at top schools which I would rather attend. The school giving me the scholarship wants me to CTE on May 1st, not giving me much of a chance getting off of WLs. Can I ask for an expedited decision on a waitlist? How would I do that? Also, what if I withdraw my other A's but CTE and still stay on WLs? AMCAS told me that schools do not have access to see if any of their students are on other school's WLs.

You don't ask for an expedited decision. They have no reason to give you on. And it's less simple than just a decision. It's a waitlist for a reason - they preferred others to you, but can you see potentially matriculating depending on how everything works out.

Having an acceptance to a mid-tier school also does not give you any leverage, nor does the scholarship.

What is your reasoning for wanting to attend a "higher ranked" school when you're receiving a "hefty" scholarship otherwise? Generally, one should attend the cheaper school within reason.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in going into research and the schools I'm waitlisted at are research power-houses and would likely help me with my career more/are a better fit. They also provide good need-based aid to the point where the costs would likely be very similar.

Thanks for the advice.

Understandable.

It's just a waiting game for now. You could send a LOI approaching May, but it's not going to do much of anything as you don't really have leverage. Your reasons for wanting to go to them is the same as many others, but you don't have another school of similar or higher caliber as a bargaining chip and you make no mention of being from the area of any of the schools, nor any mention of attending undergrad or grad school at any of them. That's why it's a waiting game here.

Research can be pretty overrated, even when it comes to medical schools that are research powerhouses. You can always find a way to do research over a summer at a lab that is willing to fund you, even if it's at a lab at a different medical school. HHMI funds NIH summer research fellowships for medical students (very competitive) so don't be disappointed if you don't get off the alternate lists.

I received a hefty scholarship from a mid-tier school which I like, but I am on 4 WLs at top schools which I would rather attend. The school giving me the scholarship wants me to CTE on May 1st, not giving me much of a chance getting off of WLs. Can I ask for an expedited decision on a waitlist? How would I do that? Also, what if I withdraw my other A's but CTE and still stay on WLs? AMCAS told me that schools do not have access to see if any of their students are on other school's WLs.
You can ask, but you won't like the answer. What you're doing is showing off a sense of entitlement and asking to jump tot he head of the line in terms of getting a decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.