how do i avoid fainting in gross anatomy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenpink

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I know most people say 'don't worry - it's not so bad as you think' and i'm willing to accept that that might be true.
The thing is - I'm a fainter. Seems by body deals with stress really physiologically rather than emotionally. Like I'll see a disturbing scene in a movie, and my reaction is to feel lightheaded rather than freaked out.
So anyway, without going on and on about these silly details -- anyone have any advice?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Don't build it up too much before you start because it probably won't be as bad as you think.

2. Have a chair handy.

3. Remove yourself from the situation if and when you need to.

The reason everyone says that it won't be as bad as you think is that it gets much easier with time. You will be so busy learning thousands of new things that you won't have time to contemplate what you're actually doing every moment you're doing it. The first moments are the hardest. Seeing the cadaver's face for the first time, cutting for the first time, etc. If you're feeling overwhelmed, step outside for a few minutes. Everyone should understand. Good luck. It's a pretty awesome experience.

Thank you, I appreciate your reply. Sound advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by greenpink
Hi,
I know most people say 'don't worry - it's not so bad as you think' and i'm willing to accept that that might be true.
The thing is - I'm a fainter. Seems by body deals with stress really physiologically rather than emotionally. Like I'll see a disturbing scene in a movie, and my reaction is to feel lightheaded rather than freaked out.
So anyway, without going on and on about these silly details -- anyone have any advice?
Thanks!

If you actually have passed out on more than one occasion, I think that you should consider having a tilt test. Tell your doctor about your "fainting" spells and ask about neurally mediated syncope. See this site for more information:

Neurally Mediated Syncope

DALA

I'm not so sure. Lets say this tilt test is positive. Is this young medical student going to go on long-term beta-blocker (or other) therapy for this benign condition? Only consider this if your fainting episodes are debilitating (in which case work-up is probably needed)

Otherwise, just follow the other advice of taking deep breaths and keeping a chair handy or leaving the room if necessary. No one will care at all and soon it will become routine. Basically, once you are past the first day you will be fine.

I go by the "it's better to know for sure what's wrong first and then worry about whether or not to treat it later" philosophy.

If she really has had syncopal episodes she should definitely discuss it with her physician. That's all I'm saying.

DALA

Originally posted by greenpink
Hi,
Thanks!

If in fact movies can make you feel faint i would take a direct approach to the problem. Since its possible you might faint the best thing to do is to prewarn people around you including professors and have something to lean on or sit in. You dont want people to get out of your way because they think your trying to get past, you want them to catch you if possible! Another good trick is to remember not to lock your knees, move your leg muscles a bit and get that blood back to your heart.

A good (and cheap) way to help yourself get ready would be some self or professional (not cheap) desensitization techniques. Get that anatomy atlas with pictures of cadavers, see if there are pictures online(is that legal), watch videos of surgeries or super gory movies, whatever, it is much safer to faint on the couch than the lab floor.

Good luck,

Zach

MSII USC school of medicine

I really appreciate all the advice!
Though at this point my insurance won't cover a tilt table test, I'm told they would if my fainting began to "severely interferes with my daily life". (my insurance only covers emergencies).
So basically I'm going to go to anatomy lab, keep a chair handy, not lock my knees, make my lab partners aware of my situation (without freaking them out), and do my best. If, after a few days in the lab I'm still dealing with feeling lightheaded or worse - then I'll get the TTT and go from there.
Thank you all very kindly!

I had the same worries when I started, then I realized that the horrible smell and burning of the formalin drenched bodies was enough to keep me from fainting.
Good luck in anatomy. :)

Every time I read the title to this thread, I substitute an "r" for the "i" in "fainting" and I get confused. Is this a problem? Should I be watching out for this? But then I remember I'm an rdrot.

If you start feeling woozy, you could also try seeing the body in a different way. Instead of focusing on the body as a whole, pick an individual vessel or nerve and recall everything you can about it.