How do I become a more culturally aware and sensitive person?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronnicus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I find it very hard to relate to and even talk with people of different ethnicities and backgrounds. I'm very comfortable carrying a conversation with my own race but freeze up and get all quiet when I have to talk to others. I know that the best way is to try and make diverse friends to get comfortable around them, but it takes me so long to open up that they think I'm boring and shy and move on. I'm also a bit of a nerd and kind of socially awkward. What can I do? I'm really worried this will come across in my interview and kill my chances of becoming a doctor.

Members don't see this ad.

I find it very hard to relate to and even talk with people of different ethnicities and backgrounds. I'm very comfortable carrying a conversation with my own race but freeze up and get all quiet when I have to talk to others. I know that the best way is to try and make diverse friends to get comfortable around them, but it takes me so long to open up that they think I'm boring and shy and move on. I'm also a bit of a nerd and kind of socially awkward. What can I do? I'm really worried this will come across in my interview and kill my chances of becoming a doctor.

Forget the interview...thats the least of your problems. How are you going to practice medicine if you are unable to talk to people of different backgrounds??

My advice: get a job that forces you out of your comfort zone. For example, volunteer to work the information desk at your local hospital.

Reactions: 11 users
Be yourself, but demonstrate tact. Think before you speak, and if you think something may make someone uncomfortable, don't do/say it. As far as being "diverse ", just treat people equally. No need to adapt to their culture.

What I recommend is for you to put yourself in a volunteer arena where you deal with people of various backgrounds. Working at a free clinic has done wonders for my interpersonal skills and understanding of various idiosyncrasies among different groups.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's great that you are self-aware enough to understand that this is a social and professional limitation for you. My only advice is to somehow force yourself to start interacting with folks from different backgrounds - whether that be through a job, sports, hobbies, school clubs, whatever. The more you make an effort, the more progress you will make.

Reactions: 5 users
There might be socialization classes out there (believe it or not they exist). Also volunteer at an inner city academic medical center.

It's really something that comes with exposure. The more you spend time with people you perceive to be different than yourself, the more you ultimately realize how similar everyone really is. Poor, middle class, wealthy, black, white, Hispanic, or Asian, it doesn't really matter. We're all just people, most of which have similar hopes, dreams, fears, and troubles as the next guy. Volunteering in the inner city would be an ideal situation, but any job that gets you out there and dealing with the public will really help. I used to be really shy and socially awkward myself. I had trouble dealing with strangers, never knew what to say, and overthought everything. I got a job in sales to face my fears- five years after I started, you'd never know I was shy or quiet. That exposure and experience was immensely important both once I got a job in allied health and when I hit the interview trail for medical school.

The ability to relate to others is critical not just in health care but in life, but it is something that you can work on, so go on out there and get started!

Reactions: 4 users
Once you realize that race is just a social construct, you'll do much better.

Reactions: 8 users
I think it's great that you are self-aware enough to understand that this is a social and professional limitation for you. My only advice is to somehow force yourself to start interacting with folks from different backgrounds - whether that be through a job, sports, hobbies, school clubs, whatever. The more you make an effort, the more progress you will make.
Well said!

Step 1. Open door.
Step 2. Walk out open door.
Step 3. Walk until you see someone that looks different than you.
Step 4. Say hello.
Step 5. Profit.

Seriously though, this is an issue beyond just becoming a doctor. A successful, tolerant and respected member of society can interact with others, including those that are different. If you find yourself completely incapable of conversing with others it may be worth a mention to your physician. If it just plain shyness, growing up in the country I was taught "never let them see ya sweat, all creatures can smell fear".

Reactions: 3 users
Bro, you need to travel.

Edit- Just based on your post and my observations, I suspect I know what race/culture/ethnic group you are a part of. Interesting...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Kudos for recognizing the problem and thinking of ways to solve it. Simplest and most effective solution in my eyes is volunteering. It did wonders for my application, and I wrote extensively about how I learned how to relate to other cultures.

Start hanging out with people who don't look like you. Join some clubs.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you become socially aware? 1) You've started already by recognizing your need to do this. 2) Travel. 3) Live somewhere outside your "comfort zone". 4) This may sound strange at first, but eat different types of food and recognize different traditions (Cinco de Mayo is coming up!)

Last edited:
Well you are aware enough to realize you have this difficulty.
That's way better then being oblivious.

As others have suggested, spending time with people of different races/SES/sexual orientations etc is probably your best bet.

While you may have cultural differences, just remember at the end of the day we are all just people

Reactions: 1 user
Well you are aware enough to realize you have this difficulty.
That's way better then being oblivious.

As others have suggested, spending time with people of different races/SES/sexual orientations etc is probably your best bet.

While you may have cultural differences, just remember at the end of the day we are all just people

I am not a human being.

Reactions: 2 users
Bro, you need to travel.
Backpacking through Europe and crashing in some hostels will suck the socially awkward out of people really fast. I holed up for basically a year knocking out my prereqs while working damn near full time. At the end of it I was all
air_quotes_by_castiel_by_cherry619-d314610.gif

But by the time I got back from two months in Europe I was like
tumblr_mcaeo3GAKX1ru0eak.gif

Work in downtown retail for a year. Ideally something with a wide SES customer base like Walmart or target.

Backpacking through Europe and crashing in some hostels will suck the socially awkward out of people really fast. I holed up for basically a year knocking out my prereqs while working damn near full time. At the end of it I was all
air_quotes_by_castiel_by_cherry619-d314610.gif

But by the time I got back from two months in Europe I was like
tumblr_mcaeo3GAKX1ru0eak.gif

Honestly, I'd be intimidated and feel awkward staying in a hostel by myself :/

I've heard great things about them for people who love to travel. I never bothered to travel much before due to being too poor, but in the future, going out to Europe one day might be cool(or other countries!)

In addition to the great responses I'll just add that I'd try out some ethnic cuisine in your area for something that's not too "involved" in people-chatting.

I've heard great things about them for people who love to travel. I never bothered to travel much before due to being too poor, but in the future, going out to Europe one day might be cool(or other countries!)
If you ever get the chance, just do it. I went alone, and it actually helped me reach out to other people because after a few days you're so longing for human interaction that the awkwardness stops mattering. Every other solo traveler is just as hungry for someone to chill with, so you end up forming spontaneous groups of awesome people and having a good time. Plus it's cheap- two months of traveling "extravagantly" by hostel standards ran me under 5k total.

Thank you for your submission to the forum. Your transparency takes courage.

After taking the time to understand a portion of your wonderful contribution, it is fair to say that your specific anxiety is brought on by socializing with people of a race other than your own. Certainly, you are not alone.

From what is read and understood, worry is both situation-based and CONTROLLED. Anxiety is the outward manifestation of your worry visible to others. Anxiety may be specific to a situation or generalized in nature. When an anxiety is a specific anxiety, the event is triggered by one thing. When anxiety is a generalized anxiety, a long list of things are of concerned to the affected (the weather, the price of china in Korea, et cetera...YOURE JUST WORRIED ABOUT EVERYTHING!). Ultimately, if this anxiety includes a level of social impairment, an anxiety disorder, generalized or specific, can be entertained to guide management by a healthcare professional.

The recommendations made by fellow SDN members are a great start! Above all, your boldness to conquer an obstacle will serve you well in medicine. All journeys begin with steps and leaps. Courage will bring you to the finish line. Remember, the finish line is always moving.

Your journey of overcoming obstacles makes for a wonderful personal statement as well as topics of superior talking point caliber that may make your interview memorable to any admissions committee!

Please consult your primary care physician if this problem becomes one that prevents you from enjoying and/or conducting your daily activities.

Best luck.

This may have been mentioned above, but an ER in a hospital that works with uninsured and underserved ppl is an excellent place to get exposure.

You study for and take the new mcat because it guarantees you'll be culturally aware and diverse if you can succeed on it (LMAO yes the AMCAS actually does say that). But seriously, listen to what people say, and make an effort to understand and help them. That's literally it. As you learn more and more about other people it'll come together and you'll be more understanding and better to address other people's needs.

Also, if you've had any adversity in your life it comes way easier, hence why most white collar doctors from privileged backgrounds have the empathy of the average dead person when interacting with patients, and only show up for less than the designated amount of time required, collect a check, and don't even bother with patients otherwise. Don't be one of them because it's inexcusable to be that callous and give that little of a **** about other people.

PS: social awkwardness dies the more you interact with people. Just put yourself out there, maybe you're naturally more shy and don't express yourself with bleeding heart passion by reacting strongly emotionally. There are more ways than just that that make you culturally aware and understanding. Just take them to understand others and even saying something like "I understand" or working your hardest to help them is cultural understanding and sensitivity. You have to find what suits your personality and who you are, and you can overcome anything with time and practice.

Find out what works for you. A lot of people will overgeneralize and assume that you can only be caring and compassionate in the most stereotypical fashion, but really there are a million different ways to be that way and those people aren't being culturally sensitive or understanding to you :p.

Last edited:
Lol because socioeconomic status is the only form of adversity that matters thanks SDN

Reactions: 5 users
Lol because socioeconomic status is the only form of adversity that matters thanks SDN

totally. just imagine the adversity one encounters in timeouts, not being able to use your weekly allowance. :p, or not getting into harvard or yale on a legacy endowment fund. Oh the humanity! it's right up there with getting an A- in one course and having your 4.00 dented into a 3.9999999.

totally. just imagine the adversity one encounters in timeouts, not being able to use your weekly allowance. :p, or not getting into harvard or yale on a legacy endowment fund. Oh the humanity! it's right up there with getting an A- in one course.

Not every problem in life can be solved with money

Not every problem in life can be solved with money

Notorious BIG would agree, but tell that to lobbyists, politicians, and those with enough money to make the rules. A privileged background can easily disconnect one from the harshness of reality, especially when you're stacking people with difficult circumstances into 30 minute slots, getting paid for it, and not having to live with any of the realities each patient has to encounter. Circumstances like that make it pretty easy to laugh them off , throw assumptions at people, and label them as inferior for being different. Adversity comes in many forms, but that's one supposed form that would definitely raise more than a few eyebrows. For people like that patient-doctor relationships only became a talking point and something to care about when foxnews started claiming they would be "destroyed by obamacare."

Last edited:
Wow, just wow. Be a normal person. Or at least think about what a normal person would do and then do that. All this advice is cracking me up.

My advice would be to get a retail job. Not even joking. You'll be forced to say hello and help whoever comes up and needs you.

I had really bad social anxiety as a kiddo/teenager. Would avoid people at all costs. Working for a large retail corporation brought me out of my shell and made me realize people are people no matter what their color or background is.

Most premeds aren't culturally aware and sensitive either, so you're not behind or something. Just learn to be as compassionate, understanding, and inclusive as possible. It can be as simple as changing your language, such as not using words like "******" or "gay" in the negative ways that they are used and being gender neutral like saying "Hey everyone" instead of "Hey guys".

My advice is get a job at a retail store. You basically are forced to talk to customers which in the long run will benefit you. I was a shy person, my first job was in retail and now I can talk to anyone without any problems. It just takes practice, the more to talk with different people the more you will loosen up and feel normalish. Good luck.

I worked retail for years. My only advice for that is to not be one of those a holes who follows around black people to see if they are stealing

Reactions: 10 users
Look for a common denominator with groups you identify as different. For me that's the family construct. Walking through Walmart I see a beautiful Latina around 2 yo in a cart seat saying Mira! Mira! Mira! to her distracted father. I
said it must be universal for toddlers to be constantly saying look! My son chuckled and said "yeah, to be followed up with YOU'RE NOT LOOKING". Pretty soon all demographics have been reduced to who they are presently at what age and stage in their family unit. It works for me.
We are an inherently shy family and it helps to practice pushing your comfort zone. When you approach strangers, seek out eye contact and smile. They may be as uncomfortable with your group as you sometimes feel. How they respond is on their head but you did your part to bring a positive acknowledgment to their presence.
This is important for reasons other than job performance. Your world is pretty small (been there)and it really is a daily joy to be able to connect with other people. Good luck!

Go volunteer at Americorps or some other organization that caters to refugees and minorities. Not only is it a personally rewarding experience, but you will face a lot of adversity and have cool things to talk about in your essays and interviews that'll make you stand out.

Go volunteer at Americorps or some other organization that caters to refugees and minorities. Not only is it a personally rewarding experience, but you will face a lot of adversity and have cool things to talk about in your essays and interviews that'll make you stand out.

SURPRISE SURPRISE SURPRISE Gomer Pyle!

YES! ADVERSITY is OPPORTUNITY!

Wow, just wow. Be a normal person. Or at least think about what a normal person would do and then do that. All this advice is cracking me up.

You'd be surprised how many people ask these questions. Or people who have never had any adversity in their life(due to not being challenged, everything being too easy, no problems with friends/relationships/sports)

Look and see if there any any abroad opportunities that are low cost. Example: you can volunteer in Israel for up to a month and have everything but the airfare paid for. If I did not have a medically disqualifying condition I would do it.

I traveled for the first time alone last year. And it was to another country where I lived out of a backpack for two weeks and didn't speak the language. My out of pocket expense was about $600 as I won a scholarship for part of the trip and the other costs people chipped in as everyone wanted me to leave the country.

I somehow suspect it was because they didn't want me to return, but I did. ;-)

You study for and take the new mcat because it guarantees you'll be culturally aware and diverse if you can succeed on it (LMAO yes the AMCAS actually does say that). But seriously, listen to what people say, and make an effort to understand and help them. That's literally it. As you learn more and more about other people it'll come together and you'll be more understanding and better to address other people's needs.

Also, if you've had any adversity in your life it comes way easier, hence why most white collar doctors from privileged backgrounds have the empathy of the average dead person when interacting with patients, and only show up for less than the designated amount of time required, collect a check, and don't even bother with patients otherwise. Don't be one of them because it's inexcusable to be that callous and give that little of a **** about other people.

PS: social awkwardness dies the more you interact with people. Just put yourself out there, maybe you're naturally more shy and don't express yourself with bleeding heart passion by reacting strongly emotionally. There are more ways than just that that make you culturally aware and understanding. Just take them to understand others and even saying something like "I understand" or working your hardest to help them is cultural understanding and sensitivity. You have to find what suits your personality and who you are, and you can overcome anything with time and practice.

Find out what works for you. A lot of people will overgeneralize and assume that you can only be caring and compassionate in the most stereotypical fashion, but really there are a million different ways to be that way and those people aren't being culturally sensitive or understanding to you :p.

Do you even know any doctors in real life? Or medical students? Stop posting nonsense, it's very offputting.

A simple answer to your q, Because ive done all 3.

Go to the international student office at your college and find when their events are. Meet people at them.

Watch documentaries on diff cultures/ take a look at their food

Go somewhere

Do you even know any doctors in real life? Or medical students? Stop posting nonsense, it's very offputting.

obviously hence the fact i'm not posting any nonsense. how many doctors have you interacted with in your life? like 1? otherwise you're just being super oblivious or just relate too well to them that it's hard to see the thinly veiled arrogance at play w/ some of them. I know good and great ones too, but i'm showing the glaringly obvious examples of what's wrong with some of them.

Last edited:
I have lost the ability to even