How do I become a psychiatric nurse practitioner?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beaconshome

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title states how do I go about becoming a psychiatric nurse practitioner? I am currently finishing up my undergrad degree in psychology and I will be done in the fall. What is the first step I have to take? What schools do I need to look at? Will any of my undergrad credits be of use? If anyone could help with a simple outline that would be very helpful! Also any links would be helpful as well. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

As the title states how do I go about becoming a psychiatric nurse practitioner? I am currently finishing up my undergrad degree in psychology and I will be done in the fall. What is the first step I have to take? What schools do I need to look at? Will any of my undergrad credits be of use? If anyone could help with a simple outline that would be very helpful! Also any links would be helpful as well. Thanks in advance!

Having already obtained a bachelor's degree in a non-nursing field, your best route is to do an accelerated BSN program (about 12-16 months) and then a MSN program with a psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner specialty or do a direct-entry MSN program as a psych NP. www.allnursingschools.com is a good place to start though not all programs are listed.

Having already obtained a bachelor's degree in a non-nursing field, your best route is to do an accelerated BSN program (about 12-16 months) and then a MSN program with a psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner specialty or do a direct-entry MSN program as a psych NP. www.allnursingschools.com is a good place to start though not all programs are listed.

I was a psych tech for 8 years (w/a BS in psych)

Even then, and a master's degree, I was not ready to hold those lives in my hands...

go enjoy life...

then try again in 10 years

Last edited: