How do I become an dental assistant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Springs01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new to SDN. I hope I'm asking this question in the correct section.

Anyways, I have a couple of questions that I hope you guys could answer.

I'm thinking to applying to Dental school, but I want to get more insight on the job. So I want to do dental assisting for a while. I have no idea how you become a dental assistant but I've heard you have to get training. Some of my local community colleges offer training for two semesters. I'd sign up for it immediately, but I'm currently a full-time undergrad. at a private university. So here are my questions:

1. Can I attend two colleges at the same time? ( I don't want fin. aid for the community college)

2. Is this how most people get their assisting certificate? Are there easier/faster ways to become a dental assistant?

3. Is it easier/faster to become a dental hygienist?

Thanks in advance for all of your answers!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I'm new to SDN. I hope I'm asking this question in the correct section.

I'm thinking to applying to Dental school, but I want to get more insight on the job. So I want to do dental assisting for a while. I have no idea how you become a dental assistant but I've heard you have to get training. Some of my local community colleges offer training for two semesters. I'd sign up for it immediately, but I'm currently a full-time undergrad. at a private university. So here are my questions:

1. Can I attend two colleges at the same time? ( I don't want fin. aid for the community college)

2. Is this how most people get their assisting certificate? Are there easier/faster ways to become a dental assistant?

Welcome to the most addicting forum ever. lol

I don't know much about assisting but I will tell you what I do know.

It is possible to become an assistant without a certificate. Some dentists allow on the job training which is what one of my friends did. However, I think this depends on area in which you live. Some states require certificates while others don't.

Dental Hygiene is a 2 or 3 year program so becoming an assistant would be faster.

Also, some people on SDN have become assistants and applied to d-school this cycle. You can find them If you look at their predents profile. You might want to PM them and ask how they became assistants.

Good luck

Last edited:
I was a dental assistant in NY for 5 years, I was lucky enough to find a doctor who let me shadow and learn for a few months and once I learned the setups and procedures he started to pay me. You don't need to be certified but some offices require certification. If your a full time student earning a BA or BS I want to say don't waste your time working for an associates BUT I can in some sense understand why you want to take that route..Just out of curiosity what is your reason for wanting to pursue a DH degree rather than a DDS or DMD?

Members don't see this ad :)
I found a dentist that was willing to train me.

I wouldn't do dental assisting at a school if I was you... this is just your temporary job while you get into dental school. Currently, i'm a full time dental assistant for 2 periodontists. I got my certification while I was in undergrad on a website that offers online certifications. 3 sections, and you get tested. You can pretty much sit at your computer for a couple hours a day and finish it in less than a week. Look around for the websites, I forgot which one I did. But make sure you get a certification from the State Board of Dental Examiners.
Don't be a hygenist... that requires 2-4 years of school. Its similar to the process of dental school because you have to apply, get accepted, etc. The classes are way smaller though (maybe 50 or so people)

Dental assisting is a great way to get dental experience and see if that's what you really want to do!

Shadow.
Build skills.
Do your job so well your dentist wants to hire you.
Hired.

Voila

you can get an dental xray certification in a week or so, do that first and then ask dental offices

You can become a dental assistant with 12 months training course including + 300 hour internship with a licensed dentist. Working with a dentist can be very helpful to learn advance dentistry and future growth.

I think it depends on the state that you live in. I got a job as an assistant on Long Island with zero experience and I work with girls who took courses. The only edge they have is experience with different techniques but you will ultimately have to learn how to work in a specific office that has a certain way of doing things. I wouldn't waste my time on a degree/certificate that you don't need!