How do I become angrier?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Misterioso

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Suffice it to say, there's a direct correlation between how angry a surgeon is as a person and how good he is in the OR. The angriest surgeons make the best technical surgeons. If he throws something across the room followed by a string of expletives then that automatically tells you he's the real deal.

Now I don't wanna hear any lip about how angry surgeons are actually "insecure" or any of that other farce that always get said when talking about surgeons who don't go around making nice with everyone.

I'm already an angry guy as it is, but I wanna get it up to old school surgeon style. Like just a few days ago I was walking down the hall and someone said to me "Good morning!" I actually smiled back and said "Hello, good morning." A few minutes later I realized how by doing this I had a long way to go. A heavyweight would've just kept walking past, either giving him a look that would freeze even an eskimo or looked straight ahead with a 1,000 yard stare as if the other person didn't even exist.

So how to I become like this, so full of hate and anger? So much so that people in the hospital will go out of their way to avoid me unless they absolutely have no other choice. I wanna be one of the bad guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Suffice it to say, there's a direct correlation between how angry a surgeon is as a person and how good he is in the OR. The angriest surgeons make the best technical surgeons. If he throws something across the room followed by a string of expletives then that automatically tells you he's the real deal.

Now I don't wanna hear any lip about how angry surgeons are actually "insecure" or any of that other farce that always get said when talking about surgeons who don't go around making nice with everyone.

I'm already an angry guy as it is, but I wanna get it up to old school surgeon style. Like just a few days ago I was walking down the hall and someone said to me "Good morning!" I actually smiled back and said "Hello, good morning." A few minutes later I realized how by doing this I had a long way to go. A heavyweight would've just kept walking past, either giving him a look that would freeze even an eskimo or looked straight ahead with a 1,000 yard stare as if the other person didn't even exist.

So how to I become like this, so full of hate and anger? So much so that people in the hospital will go out of their way to avoid me unless they absolutely have no other choice. I wanna be one of the bad guys.

:laugh:

That's just funny. I'm a tool, and hell, I just can't see myself being old-school like that as a current med student or later as a resident. I don't want to get burned ...

Although I can't give you any advice, I think you have just discovered my dream personality.

Members don't see this ad :)

Do a General Surgery residency. :laugh:

ok I laughed. I also was able to guess who the original poster was immediately after I read the thread title.

Do a General Surgery residency.

Thank you for the advice Dr. Viejo. I will of course do a GS residency. Although they've eliminated the pyramidal programs our heroes trained under, I am in the process of determining which of the programs I applied to have the largest turnover of residents, which is the next best thing that mirrors those great pyramidal programs of the past. I just don't want to be at a program where everyone is coddled on their way to the ceremonious, empty "Chief Resident" title but can't operate independently at the end of 5 years and then end up in a CT or breast fellowship.

Thank you for the advice Dr. Viejo. I will of course do a GS residency. Although they've eliminated the pyramidal programs our heroes trained under, I am in the process of determining which of the programs I applied to have the largest turnover of residents, which is the next best thing that mirrors those great pyramidal programs of the past. I just don't want to be at a program where everyone is coddled on their way to the ceremonious, empty "Chief Resident" title but can't operate independently at the end of 5 years and then end up in a CT or breast fellowship.

:sleep::sleep::sleep:

I'm thinking maybe you should lacerate your anus with a rusty knife and then shove a corncob with habanero sauce on it up there.

Just my opinion, yours may differ.

-Mike

How do you get angrier?

You continue to make snide comments such as those in your last sentence, directed at the Moderator of the forum in which you post. A Moderator who also happens to be an Administrator who is quite sick of these comments.

She bans you from SDN.

That should make you angrier.

How do you get angrier?

You continue to make snide comments such as those in your last sentence, directed at the Moderator of the forum in which you post. A Moderator who also happens to be an Administrator who is quite sick of these comments.

She bans you from SDN.

That should make you angrier.

If you should ban me it will only prove that I have struck a nerve with you. That you've let me get to, that I've ultimately won.

Strike me down and I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you should ban me it will only prove that I have struck a nerve with you. That you've let me get to, that I've ultimately won.

Strike me down and I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

It was only a matter of time before you exposed your true-life nerdiness with a Star Wars quote.

I'm with you. The problem with our current trolls is that they are becoming over-eager. Misterioso has like 2-3 new threads per week now, so anyone who wanders into the forum need only scroll down to see how FOS he is.

Also, Kinetic (I think) can't wait more than 1-2 days to create a new screen name and start back in.....

You guys just need to relax, take a few days off from SDN, and come back with fresher material.

It was only a matter of time before you exposed your true-life nerdiness with a Star Wars quote.

MMMaaaaaannn.... You're on my hate list now.
pbbbtt.gif

Anyone else freaked out that this guy (supposedly an MS4) might end up in their residency program? I sure am. But then again, all the attendings at my program say good morning to me when we pass, so its probably not the place he wants to be.

Anyone else freaked out that this guy (supposedly an MS4) might end up in their residency program? I sure am. But then again, all the attendings at my program say good morning to me when we pass, so its probably not the place he wants to be.

Nah...we all assume he's a troll, making this persona up.

Also, Kinetic (I think) can't wait more than 1-2 days to create a new screen name and start back in.....

Kinetic isn't a troll. He's just a guy with an edge who says things as he experiences them. Unfortunately many users can't handle that. Honestly, I find his posts funny and take them with a grain of salt. Not sure why others have to get so offended.

Anyone else freaked out that this guy (supposedly an MS4) might end up in their residency program? I sure am.

Not at all. I'd be more than happy if he matched at my program.

Have you ever read the thread "Had my way with an anesthesiologist today"? My favorite thread ever on SDN. Highest of high comedy.

PM me if you want that list. :)

My question is, do you think the great surgeons that you refer to became great surgeons by spending their time trolling anonymous internet forums?

I can say with reasonable certainty the answer is no but I could be wrong...:laugh:

I hope you get banned for offending my mom. yes, she is a breast surgeon.

My question is, do you think the great surgeons that you refer to became great surgeons by spending their time trolling anonymous internet forums?

I can say with reasonable certainty the answer is no but I could be wrong...:laugh:

I'm curious, what do YOU think the great surgeons do on their free time? Sounds like you think they go home, set up podiums in their living rooms, and give Powerpoint presentations to their cats. Then they sit down and eat dinner with an 11 blade and then go and masturbate to maintain their hand dexterity.

Though I have to say that when his posts devolve to the one-liners about "wimmens" they're not as good.

You're married, aren't you? OH SNAP! :D

I'm curious, what do YOU think the great surgeons do on their free time? Sounds like you think they go home, set up podiums in their living rooms, and give Powerpoint presentations to their cats. Then they sit down and eat dinner with an 11 blade and then go and masturbate to maintain their hand dexterity.

brilliant. surgery takes the cake with the trolling.

I know the OP is probably a troll but I'd like to give a little insight on temper tantrums from the PGY7 perspective. Not only don't tantrums work but they are counterproductive. You might get to the room 3 minutes faster one time if you freak out at the front desk but in the long run you suffer. If you get a reputation of being a bastard people will try to avoid your room. WHen its 2:00 there will be half a dozen rooms about to come out but everyone in those rooms will be taking it as slow as possible so as not to be the unlucky crew to get your case. I see this over and over again and it isn't just in the university setting it is everywhere.

On top of that you will gradually establish a paper trail of 'disruptive behavior' and it won't be long before your privilages get yanked and you have to find another hospital, or worse, start over somewhere else. The 'old-school' guys may have gotten away with it 30 years ago but you won't.

You will get a lot more cases done a lot faster if people enjoy being in your room.

WHen its 2:00 there will be half a dozen rooms about to come out but everyone in those rooms will be taking it as slow as possible so as not to be the unlucky crew to get your case.

And will you be there lecturing them? Because it's people like you who are the problem. You basically turn everything back on the complainer. For example, when I complain that the ER calls with incorrect information and shoddy work, people say, "no, no, you need to put PATIENT CARE above everything else. Take that abuse and put it aside because who are you hurting? Just the patient!" In other words, I have to accomodate suckiness. And yet here, let's say Misterioso really is a jackass. Here you come, lecturing AGAIN. This time, oddly, nobody has to accomodate HIM. In fact, they can actively slow down an OR case just to spite him or avoid him. And what is to be done? Why, the answer is obvious! HE changes! Brilliant! In both cases, no matter who is at fault, the key is that YOU change.

Note: I'm not saying Misterioso is right or wrong. I'm just saying, if you condemn him for his attitudes and the impact thereof, then you need to be consistent. Condemn everyone with attitudes that will affect patient care or hospital stays. EVERYONE.

I think you misunderstood my post. I'm not lecturing anyone. I don't really care what you or Misterioso do in your own professional lives. In fact, I like it when people behave badly because I'm no saint myself and if there is someone worse than me I get off the hook a little.:)

All I am saying is realistically what will happen if you throw tantrums about stuff and if people fear working with you. It ends up being counterproductive. In the end you can bark all you want at the nurses but you don't have hire and fire power and they know it. Its a choice you can make and what you decide has no impact on my life. Consider it a public service announcement.

I particularly liked this quote:
This time, oddly, nobody has to accomodate HIM. In fact, they can actively slow down an OR case just to spite him or avoid him. And what is to be done? Why, the answer is obvious! HE changes! Brilliant!

That reminds me of when Janice in Sopranos had to take anger management classes because she attacked another mom at a soccer game. At the class Janice says "Why should I be taking anger management classes? Everyone in the world gets to act like an ass and they get a free pass?" It was precious. We've all had days where we felt like that.

And will you be there lecturing them? Because it's people like you who are the problem. You basically turn everything back on the complainer. For example, when I complain that the ER calls with incorrect information and shoddy work, people say, "no, no, you need to put PATIENT CARE above everything else. Take that abuse and put it aside because who are you hurting? Just the patient!" In other words, I have to accomodate suckiness. And yet here, let's say Misterioso really is a jackass. Here you come, lecturing AGAIN. This time, oddly, nobody has to accomodate HIM. In fact, they can actively slow down an OR case just to spite him or avoid him. And what is to be done? Why, the answer is obvious! HE changes! Brilliant! In both cases, no matter who is at fault, the key is that YOU change.

Note: I'm not saying Misterioso is right or wrong. I'm just saying, if you condemn him for his attitudes and the impact thereof, then you need to be consistent. Condemn everyone with attitudes that will affect patient care or hospital stays. EVERYONE.

All I am saying is realistically what will happen if you throw tantrums about stuff and if people fear working with you. It ends up being counterproductive.

Agreed. But all I'm saying is that this applies to EVERYONE, not just surgery residents. In other words, if an EM guy just calls consults without seeing the patient, people end up hating them and not wanting to see their patients (without cash up front). If a nurse is lazy, people end up despising her and not answering her pages. As you say, the way we act affects how people react to us. But I refuse to say, "well, I must accept any behavior from everyone else AND ALSO be mindful of my own behavior." It's all or none. Either everyone minds their behavior or they get what they get. I agree with the Sopranos. I'm not here to allow everyone else to beat on me.

I disagree with you. Im with surgeons all day long. I see a high correlation with angry surgeons and being less successful. They are the ones who are not gettin gthe consults, who have more trouble in the OR and take longer to finish cases. They are frustrated thats why they are angry. Just my observation in practice for the past few years. The cool calm collected ones are focused. They know their role they come and do it. The good surgeons are the ones who do thier case and you dont even know they are in the room.

Removing your genitals is a good first step. That's off the charts on a bitterness gauge.

:thumbup:

I used to know a guy who would walk down the sidewalk and "slap somebody just to see the look on their face." I imagine it wouldn't take but 2-3 random, unwarranted slaps across the face to get the reputation you desire. If that doesn't work. Give me a holler. I'm full of ideas.

I used to know a guy who would walk down the sidewalk and "slap somebody just to see the look on their face." I imagine it wouldn't take but 2-3 random, unwarranted slaps across the face to get the reputation you desire. If that doesn't work. Give me a holler. I'm full of ideas.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

This strategy works best on the rough and tough inner-city streets.

I also recommend doing this in front of the local ER to minimize any subsequent blood loss.

I'm thinking maybe you should lacerate your anus with a rusty knife and then shove a corncob with habanero sauce on it up there.

:laugh: OMG my stomach hurts now. I'm sick on the couch and you just made my day!

My work is done here.

Carry on.

Find a way to get yourself a massive dose of gamma radiation and then watch the Tyra Banks show nonstop for fifteen hours.

If you're not angry after that, you ain't breathin.

My work is done here.

Carry on.

You know what's weird? Did you ever work at the transplant lab here? Because I think I saw the photo from where your avatar originated.

(Three dogs, all with party hats or horns in their mouths.)

I did work in a lab, but nowhere near you and not in transplant.

To be quite honest with you if I never see the inside of a lab again it would be OK.

As to the picture, it is shamelessly pilfered from an internet search. It just reminded me of my dog who passed last August.

As to the picture, it is shamelessly pilfered from an internet search. It just reminded me of my dog who passed last August.

... From lung cancer?

I kid! I kid!

(I assume you have a bit of a sense of humor about it if a dog sucking on a cigar reminds you of your own dog... Sorry if I am mistaken...)

I wanted to be mad, but it was pretty funny.

I will also be funny when my hillbilly neighbors show up at your house for a banjo contest:D

JK

lol

The truth is they masturbate while presenting to their cats. That's the difference between good and great - time management.

1) Complete MS3.

2) Instead of MS4, ask to repeat MS3.

3) Proceed directly to internship.

4) Repeat internship.

5) Stay away from all sharp objects and other lethal weapons. You are now officially "angrier".

hulk-from-the-movie.jpg