How do I bring up my 6 year old DUI in my PS? Do I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroPA

PA-C
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a DUI when I was 18 years old, my mother suffered from cancer since I was 10 years old. After she passed away (when I was 18) I started partying too much and drinking (I was devastated losing her).

My question is.... How do I bring up my DUI? Should it be brought up right alway? Then have supporting evidence how I am rehabilitated? I believe I have a great story to tell, but I don't want to focus too much on my mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Many applications ask if you have ever been convicted/charged and then gives you a chance to explain the situation. I believe the primary application gives you a chance to do this, but am not certain. Many secondaries ask the same thing as well. It is definitely something that should be addressed and this is the proper place to do it. You may also choose to address in your personal statement if you believe this situation played a prominent role in your decision to pursue medicine.

I was told by advisors and adcoms not to use personal statement as an area for explaining negative parts of your profile (like DUIs). Best of luck.

Sorry about your mother.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do not put this in your personal statement.

Unless 1) your DUI was a vital first step toward your discovery of medicine, 2) you have an impressive list of accomplishments that could not have been possible without the DUI, AND (not or) 3) you're the goddam Mozart of persuasive writing....

DO NOT PUT THIS IN YOUR PERSONAL STATEMENT.

Reactions: 9 users

Unless 1) your DUI was a vital first step toward your discovery of medicine, 2) you have an impressive list of accomplishments that could not have been possible without the DUI, AND (not or) 3) you're the goddam Mozart of persuasive writing....

DO NOT PUT THIS IN YOUR PERSONAL STATEMENT.

Yeah, this.

PS isn't the time to talk about a DUI unless a DUI was pivotal in your decision to pursue medicine.
You will have a chance to explain your DUI later in your app. Not your PS.

Reactions: 2 users
I see, thank you! Is it almost certain that it will come up in the interview?

If you have 5 interviews, it will probably come up in 4... at least.

Protip: they're probably not going to be too tough about something you did when you were 18, but you DO need to do the following:

1) Take responsibility. Do not say stupid **** like "I was barely over the limit!" Or "I really did only have 2 beers!" Even if it's true.
2) Demonstrate the steps you took, and continue to take, to not do it again.
3) (and this is inportant) acknowledge that you are aware of the high ethical standards required of doctors, and relate your mistake to your future in medicine. This is hard to do, and it's absolutely essential.

Reactions: 4 users
If you have 5 interviews, it will probably come up in 4... at least.

Protip: they're probably not going to be too tough about something you did when you were 18, but you DO need to do the following:

1) Take responsibility. Do not say stupid **** like "I was barely over the limit!" Or "I really did only have 2 beers!" Even if it's true.
2) Demonstrate the steps you took, and continue to take, to not do it again.
3) (and this is inportant) acknowledge that you are aware of the high ethical standards required of doctors, and relate your mistake to your future in medicine. This is hard to do, and it's absolutely essential.

How would I associate it to my mothers death? or do you think they could connect the dots? I don't want to make it seem that it is an excuse of because my mother died it should be overseen that it still was a stupid decision. She passed away in May 2010, and my DUI was in January 2011.

How would I associate it to my mothers death? or do you think they could connect the dots? I don't want to make it seem that it is an excuse of because my mother died it should be overseen that it still was a stupid decision. She passed away in May 2010, and my DUI was in January 2011.

Saying that it was because of your mother's death, or even implying that it was, definitely falls under the category of "making excuses." Yes, I know it's not fair.

I wouldn't even mention your mother's death in the same essay as the DUI. It signals to the adcom that you're not entirely taking responsibility. It also comes off as a bit manipulative - like you're trying to appeal to the adcom's emotions and make them feel sorry for you.

Do not imply a link between the 2 events. Let the adcom make the connection.

Reactions: 2 users
YOU DON'T

Capeesh?

There will be a box asking for an explanation.

I got a DUI when I was 18 years old, my mother suffered from cancer since I was 10 years old. After she passed away (when I was 18) I started partying too much and drinking (I was devastated losing her).

My question is.... How do I bring up my DUI? Should it be brought up right alway? Then have supporting evidence how I am rehabilitated? I believe I have a great story to tell, but I don't want to focus too much on my mistake.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you! Does anyone know if Western-Pomona, Touro, or any of the Nevada/Arizona schools will not accept anyone with criminal records?

Do new schools tend to be more lenient?
I have cGPA 3.6 sGPA 3.6, EMT with 4 years experience, 1 year volunteering in underprivileged areas, and I am an underrepresented minority (Mexican). I am taking my MCAT in April.

Members don't see this ad :)
Or does anyone know schools that tend to be more lenient?

Schools I know to be *relatively* lenient (at least from my and my friends' experiences) are the touros, LECOMs and the AT stills. I also had a friend who had a pretty nasty red flag from college that many would consider *at least* on par with a DUI. He got interviews at AZCOM, KCOM, Western, MSU, and 5 MD schools. He has 3 acceptances so far.

Schools I know to be absolutely unforgiving are Campbell (don't bother applying there. They will not send you a secondary with a DUI) and Liberty. State schools (MSU, Rowan, TCOM, OUHCOM) will probably not *outright* reject you but they will be VERY tough on you. Apply broadly and practice talking about it.

Last edited:
Thank you! Does anyone know if Western-Pomona, Touro, or any of the Nevada/Arizona schools will not accept anyone with criminal records?

Do new schools tend to be more lenient?
I have cGPA 3.6 sGPA 3.6, EMT with 4 years experience, 1 year volunteering in underprivileged areas, and I am an underrepresented minority (Mexican). I am taking my MCAT in April.

Why are you even applying DO? If you get a 505+ or so on your MCAT you have an excellent shot at MD.

Reactions: 1 user
I will also be applying to some MD schools located on the west (Arizona, Cali, Nevada, Texas, New Mexico, Washington, Oregon)

3.6 GPA is average, EMT experience is a glorified buss driver job and a 505+ is not even close to acceptable to have excellent shot at MD.
Thats not to mention how arbitrarily adcons will perceive your DUI.

Ignore it. EMT does not equal buss (sic) driver. Take your advice, your praise and even your insults only from people that can accurately spell 3 letter words.

That moment when even AdCon on the forums call EMT glorified bus drivers. Use search before insulting next time, nice try though.

That moment when even AdCon on the forums call EMT glorified bus drivers. Use search before insulting next time, nice try though.
Despite your continued reference to AdCon (sic, again) I feel compelled to one again correct you. It is adcom. Try using a dictionary next time. Poor effort on your part. Sort of makes your overt insult to front line medical personnel completely without merit.

Despite your continued reference to AdCon (sic, again) I feel compelled to one again correct you. It is adcom. Try using a dictionary next time. Poor effort on your part. Sort of makes your overt insult to front line medical personnel completely without merit.

You must be trolling right? :troll:
there is a strict difference between adcon and adcom figure it out.
:smack::smack::smack::smack::smack::smack::smack:

Stop digressing from original point, EMT = glorified bus driver if you dont agree with my view point take it from an adcon.

You must be trolling right? :troll:
there is a strict difference between adcon and adcom figure it out.
:smack::smack::smack::smack::smack::smack::smack:

Stop digressing from original point, EMT = glorified bus driver if you dont agree with my view point take it from an adcon.
Your arrogance is amazing. Your ignorance is sad. Good luck with those special attributes.

Your arrogance is amazing. Your ignorance is sad. Good luck with those special attributes.
Thank you! You contributed nothing but insults in this thread. Please try to be a better and more loving person in the future. I hope your medical school experience is going fine.

Thank you! You contributed nothing but insults in this thread. Please try to be a better and more loving person in the future. I hope your medical school experience is going fine.
Dude, hurts when it's you getting insulted instead of the one throwing them out, huh? Now go away. I'm sure somewhere there is a wall that needs you to scribble on it with a crayon.

Can you guys stop it?

I've never heard of an "Adcon." I'd like to know what it is.

Second, as for EMT experience, there will always be some people who think it's lame experience. It's not like pre-meds have tons of options for clinical experience and patient interaction, so EMS is a pretty good option. "Glorified bus driver" is a pretty extreme view, but I'm sure there are some who have it. I think a better description would be "nothing special necessarily, but a pretty decent addition to a medical school application." ECs are what you make of them.

Can you guys stop it?

I've never heard of an "Adcon." I'd like to know what it is.

Second, as for EMT experience, there will always be some people who think it's lame experience. It's not like pre-meds have tons of options for clinical experience and patient interaction, so EMS is a pretty good option. "Glorified bus driver" is a pretty extreme view, but I'm sure there are some who have it. I think a better description would be "nothing special necessarily, but a pretty decent addition to a medical school application." ECs are what you make of them.

adcon is just a member of the admission committee

Good luck @Socal_emt, I would omit it from your PS, but I think you have a great shot at matriculating pending your MCAT scores. You will have time to discuss it during your interviews.

adcon is just a member of the admission committee

I thought "adcom" was a member of the admissions committee, as in "admissions committee member."

I looked up "adcon" and it seemed to say it was an "admissions consultant," I.e. Someone who you hire to advise you as to how to get into medical school. Is this incorrect?

A new question stemming from my DUI. Would completion of an SMP help my chances IF I get a rejection from all schools I am applying to. My goal is to attend Western-Pomona, they have an SMP program, what do y'all think?

A new question stemming from my DUI. Would completion of an SMP help my chances IF I get a rejection from all schools I am applying to. My goal is to attend Western-Pomona, they have an SMP program, what do y'all think?

You have a 3.6 GPA. Doing an SMP won't help you. Your grades aren't a problem, so there's nothing to fix. Take the MCAT, apply broadly, and practice your interviewing skills and talking about the DUI.

If for some reason you don't get in anywhere because of your DUI, the best course of action would be to focus intensely on volunteering and community service. If your DUI is a problem (though I doubt its going to be too serious if you can talk about it well), it means that the problem in your application is your character. So you'd need to address that aspect, with volunteering/community service. Making your strong grades stronger won't help your character.

If this does happen, and you end up having to do some volunteering, make sure you actually do something worthwhile. Do not choose a "token" volunteering activity. You should have something to show for it, something that makes a real difference.

I have been volunteering with an organization called School on Wheels. The basic description is below.

"Volunteer tutors are positive role models who provide consistency and educational assistance to a homeless child through weekly one-on-one tutoring."

I am also thinking of approaching a member of the Mothers Against Drunk Driving (M.A.D.D) and see if I could volunteer with their organization.

Can I ask what the final disposition of your DUI charge was? Undoubtedly, you will still be addressing this incident but the disposition does affect the manner in which it is disclosed. PM me if it is more comfortable for you.

Unless the DUI contributed to you wanting to become a doctor, then no, I would not mention it in the personal statement. As others have said, you can explain this in other part of the applications. Own the mistake, make no excuses, and show that you have learned from it and grown. Mistakes happen.

This is my current situation.

MCAT
: Not taken yet (planned for April or May 2017)
cGPA: 3.62
sGPA: 3.6

Worth Noting:
-No withdraws,
-No grades lower than a B.
-Worked full time and took full time course load
-Mother Died when I was 17 years old from cancer (in 2010)
-Exposed to medicine since I was 10 years old
-I had to drop out of high school to help support my family (went back and graduated high school at 21 yo)

Extracurricular Activities:
1st
Journal Club Member - American Association of Clinical Chemistry
2nd Disaster Response Team Member - Medical Reserves Corp of California
3rd Tutor and Mentor - School on Wheels - Provide one on one weekly tutoring to homeless children throughout high risk areas throughout Los Angeles (Watts, Compton, Inglewood)
4th Volunteer Physician Shadowing - 75 Hours

Letters of Recommendation:
1st:
Medical Director at Current Medical Facility. I have built a very close relationship. Will provide a stellar letter. His credentials is MD, FACC, FACP.
2nd: Associate Medical Director at Current Medical Facility: I have also built a very close relationship with this person. Will Provide a stellar letter. Credentials are MD, FACC, FACP.
3rd: Biology Professor and Biochemistry Professor: I received 3 A's in his class sequence. He will be able to write a good letter of my ability to learn difficult concepts.
4th: Lead Pastor of Church I have Volunteered at. They will talk about my character and how I have helped their community church through blood pressure and blood glucose screenings.

Sex: Male
Ethnicity: Mexican
Residence: Southern California

This is my current situation.

MCAT
: Not taken yet (planned for April or May 2017)
cGPA: 3.62
sGPA: 3.6

Worth Noting:
-No withdraws,
-No grades lower than a B.
-Worked full time and took full time course load
-Mother Died when I was 17 years old from cancer (in 2010)
-Exposed to medicine since I was 10 years old
-I had to drop out of high school to help support my family (went back and graduated high school at 21 yo)

Extracurricular Activities:
1st
Journal Club Member - American Association of Clinical Chemistry
2nd Disaster Response Team Member - Medical Reserves Corp of California
3rd Tutor and Mentor - School on Wheels - Provide one on one weekly tutoring to homeless children throughout high risk areas throughout Los Angeles (Watts, Compton, Inglewood)
4th Volunteer Physician Shadowing - 75 Hours

Letters of Recommendation:
1st:
Medical Director at Current Medical Facility. I have built a very close relationship. Will provide a stellar letter. His credentials is MD, FACC, FACP.
2nd: Associate Medical Director at Current Medical Facility: I have also built a very close relationship with this person. Will Provide a stellar letter. Credentials are MD, FACC, FACP.
3rd: Biology Professor and Biochemistry Professor: I received 3 A's in his class sequence. He will be able to write a good letter of my ability to learn difficult concepts.
4th: Lead Pastor of Church I have Volunteered at. They will talk about my character and how I have helped their community church through blood pressure and blood glucose screenings.

Sex: Male
Ethnicity: Mexican
Residence: Southern California

You seem to be in a really good position to me. Just ace the MCAT!