Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

How do I choose a lender?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Susan, Jul 15, 2000.

1. Susan

Susan Member

I've heard both that is matters and it doesn't matter which lender I choose for the Stafford loan. I'm headed to NYCOM and they suggest Chase, Citibank, Key Bank, or Medifunds because they are compatible with their system. Are there differences between these banks? What should be considered when making this decision? All thoughts are greatly appreciated. Susan

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AMS-007

AMS-007 Member

Susan,

Glad to hear you're coming to NYCOM. I'm currently a third year NYCOM student. If you recently graduated from college and you had Stafford loan from lender, then I suggest that you stick with SAME lender. It makes life much more easier later on when it comes time to pay because you know that you will be dealing with just one lender. My friend borrowed money from NELLIE MAE when he was in college and he has continued to borrow money from NELLIE MAE in order to come to NYCOM.

STICK WITH THE SAME LENDER REGARDLESS OF WHO NYCOM RECOMMENDS. IF YOU RECEIVED GOOD SERVICE FROM THEM IN COLLEGE, YOU'LL GET GOOD SERVICE FROM THEM AT NYCOM. YOU'LL THANK YOURSELF LATER WHEN YOU HAVE TO PAY THESE PEOPLE OFF.

Amit
    NYCOM, Class of 2002

4. Susan

Susan Member

Thanks for your reply, Amit. I don't have any other loans now. Sorting through all the possible lenders seems a bit overwhelming. Anyone have any directions to go in? I'm not sure but I think that NYCOM doesn't have the direct loan option. Susan