Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

how do i classify my shadowing of a physician on amcas...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Pink3045, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Pink3045

2+ Year Member

hello i am working on the work/activities section of the amcas application and one of my experiences involves the shadowing of a physician and i was not sure which classification i should be using...."other??" or community service/volunteer medica/clinical?

Thanks for your help- its greatly appreciated!

2. iduwanna

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    From reading other threads, you should use "community service..." if you were providing some service. If not, "other" might be more sensible.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. wizenedone

wizenedone Indeed...
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Shadowing = community service?? since when?? :laugh:

4. iduwanna

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    :laugh:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. AmericanPsycho

Removed

Pre-Medical
    I find shadowing a complete waste of time.

6. chad5871

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    It totally depends on the doctor. Some doctors don't involve you at all (just completely ignore you), but other doctors will show you things, explain how they're making their diagnosis, explain the treatment, etc. I even shadowed with a pediatrician (at a teaching hospital) who would let me take histories and then "present" the patient to her. It was a pretty cool experience...

7. disorder

disorder isrdero
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    that's completely subjective.

even if it ad comms may not think anything of it, if the experience persuaded someone to become a physician or moved them to (or away from) medicine... it's well worth it in my opinion.

8. CSnowFoxD

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Wow that has nothing to do with what the OP asked...

Anyway I think it should be under "other". If you search around (I'm too lazy right now, gotta get to sleep), there's a huge thread about filling out activities on AMCAS somewhere, and if I remember correctly they pretty much say shadowing=other.

Man, I haven't even started on filling out that stuff yet, arghhhh. :thumbdown:

9. Ella Shepherd

Ella Shepherd Screen. Stage. Studio.
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical