how do i classify my shadowing of a physician on amcas...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pink3045

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello i am working on the work/activities section of the amcas application and one of my experiences involves the shadowing of a physician and i was not sure which classification i should be using...."other??" or community service/volunteer medica/clinical?

Thanks for your help- its greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

hello i am working on the work/activities section of the amcas application and one of my experiences involves the shadowing of a physician and i was not sure which classification i should be using...."other??" or community service/volunteer medica/clinical?

Thanks for your help- its greatly appreciated!

From reading other threads, you should use "community service..." if you were providing some service. If not, "other" might be more sensible.

From reading other threads, you should use "community service..." if you were providing some service. If not, "other" might be more sensible.

Shadowing = community service?? since when?? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I find shadowing a complete waste of time.

It totally depends on the doctor. Some doctors don't involve you at all (just completely ignore you), but other doctors will show you things, explain how they're making their diagnosis, explain the treatment, etc. I even shadowed with a pediatrician (at a teaching hospital) who would let me take histories and then "present" the patient to her. It was a pretty cool experience...

that's completely subjective.

even if it ad comms may not think anything of it, if the experience persuaded someone to become a physician or moved them to (or away from) medicine... it's well worth it in my opinion.

Wow that has nothing to do with what the OP asked...

Anyway I think it should be under "other". If you search around (I'm too lazy right now, gotta get to sleep), there's a huge thread about filling out activities on AMCAS somewhere, and if I remember correctly they pretty much say shadowing=other.

Man, I haven't even started on filling out that stuff yet, arghhhh. :thumbdown: