Technology How do I convert mp3 files to double-speed versions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So let's say I've got mp3 files for lectures, and I want to convert them to double-speed versions of themselves to put on my mp3 player. What program allows me to do this?

My mp3 player does not play in double speed, and I am not looking for a solution that involves me buying a new one. I would like software that will allow me to save double-speed versions of my files so that they are always double speed. Anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

Audacity will allow you to do this very easily:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

Once you have Audacity running it will complain that it can't read mp3 files. Simply download the plugin (the LAME mp3 encoder):

Windows:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows

Mac OS:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/mac

Linux
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/linux

After you load in an mp3 file, you can change its speed by highlighting the region you want to speed up, then going to Effect->Change Speed. Just make it a 100% change and you'll accomplish the doubling.

To save the file as an mp3 file go to File->Export and choose mp3 as the file type for export.

vlc will let you do this too. If you just want to listen on your computer, it's as simple as opening the .mp3 and hitting (command =), or something similar if you're on windows...

Members don't see this ad :)
vlc will let you do this too. If you just want to listen on your computer, it's as simple as opening the .mp3 and hitting (command =), or something similar if you're on windows...

TT was looking for a way to SAVE the files in sped-up format, which I gather from your post VLC does not do. I use Audacity as well and it's great.

I'm pretty sure there's a way to do it with VLC as it has a lot of output options but it would take some tinkering.

I agree with the above though, just go download Audacity. It's free and fairly easy to use for basic audio editing. Haven't done batch file edits with it so not sure if there's an easy way to automatically do this for a bunch of files at one time.

Several media players also allow you to adjust the speed of an audio file. So you can easily increase/decrease the speed by clicking on a button. This gives you flexibility and that's what I would suggest.

Windows Media Player has this "playback speed" option.
Another great player is GOM player.

Quicktime also has the option to edit playback speed, though not to save the file that way. Maybe quicktime pro would, but I'm fine with just moving one bar over to mess with my speed

Perhaps some of you might get emails, stating this thread was replied to. If so, shout outs to Dr. Joseph Kim, neat website and practice concept. It reminded me of a version of myself in the future...

Anyway, you can do this several ways.

Here is one method using two pieces of software; one will play your stuff at 2x and the other will record whatever output your sound card is processing. There is no loss in quality because this is a 1:1 digital copy. If you however recompress an mp3 to another one, there might be small loss, but usually non significant for a lecture or audio book.

I prefer VLC because not only does it let you speed up the movie, mp3, wav, pcm or any file it supports for that matter in 10% incriments, it does not distort the audio at all. You can set this in the preferences under audio, plugins and simply checkmark the "scaletempo" box. This will allow you to listen to your audio at 2x the speed you like.

Download total recorder standard edition and set it so that it captures everything your card outputs. It has a nice "recording wizard" to assist you with this.

Combine all your audio lectures into one file, using audio editing software such as the recommended Audacity or Wavepad (my preferred choice) and save it as an uncompressed PCM (No quality loss). This is just about as easy as highlighting text and copy and pasting.

Take that newly generated PCM file, load it into VLC, and press the + button twice to play it at 2x, or decrease/increase the speed by pressing the bracket buttons; [ and ]. Do this with Total Recorder open in the background ready to process and capture your new file at your favorite speed. This new file can be directly saved to mp3, wav, or other formats.

*Note, of the software listed here, VLC, Audacity, and Wave Pad are all free; Total Recorder however is not free and will insert small .5 second noises every 60 seconds of your new file (you will notice). I do however find this software (TR) useful since it allows you to use it for other projects not only this type. It has been helpful for me and I purchased it for less than 1/5 of a Benjamin Franklin bill.

Step #4)

Last edited: