General How do I deal with a very negative patient review as a new healthcare provider?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
Have just begun my career in a small family practice clinic, after completing a 2-year Residency at a well-respected institution. Received a very negative review from a patient, for which I was reprimanded by my employer. How do I recover from this, in that the review suggested other patients not see me as a physician, and would not say why? They implied my knowledge base was poor. I know my stuff, but may not appear as confident as others. Some articles suggest contacting the patient directly; I don’t think that would help at all. I am so new, have no idea how to handle this. Thanks.

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

This stinks.

Have you asked some of the other physicians in the practice if this has ever happened to them and how they responded? Hard to advise without knowing the dynamics of the practice, the employer, your happiness in the practice otherwise, etc, so your peers may be able to give you more useful, personalized advice.

We all get negative reviews. It happens.

If the majority of your reviews are positive, then I wouldn't think too much about it. Do reflect on why you think this patient may have been unhappy. It can range from you having a bad day, them having a bad day, you honestly not fulfilling their expectations, etc.

I once got a negative review because apparently there was a cobweb on one of the chairs. There are all kinds of people out there. It's tough as physicians because for the most part, we've been told our whole lives how we've done such a great job, so when we get to this point and get negative reviews, it stings.

TBH, I find it hard to believe that a regular patient understands what the knowledge base is for a fp. I would chalk this up to you being a little green. You will gain your confidence over the next few years. Use this as a mark in your career to work on that (without coming off as too over confident).

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a few patients transfer care early on in my career because I wasn't experienced enough and, like you, wanted to make sure that I had everything right before embarking on a workup or treatment plan. Good f***ing riddance. I got upset about it early on, but long ago left that in the past.

As mentioned, you can't please everyone all the time, and some people are just a-holes.

Don't blow this off completely, as there may be a kernel of truth and/or a learning opportunity for you here, but don't let it drag you down.

You gotta remember that the majority of patients leaving you reviews will be the patients who are unhappy. You may have 1000 happy patients and 5 unhappy but you better believe only 30 of the happy ones and 4 of the unhappy are gonna leave you reviews.

You'll toughen up your skin to this as well. There are patients who I see either alone or with residents and when the encounter is over, you say to yourself "They're going to leave me (us) a crappy review".

There's just a certain patient type you can tell from a mile away so to speak. You learn to just shrug it off. And as pointed out, they'll go to someone else so you don't have to deal with them any longer (thankfully). They'll leave the next one a bad review too...you're starting to get where I'm going...it's often not you that's the issue.

The older guy who says "Just tell me what you think I should do doc" isn't going to leave you a bad review. The 53 year old woman who tells you about how she googled this and that and what she has HAS to be this and wants so and so specific treatment...possible bad review incoming.

You'll toughen up your skin to this as well. There are patients who I see either alone or with residents and when the encounter is over, you say to yourself "They're going to leave me (us) a crappy review".

There's just a certain patient type you can tell from a mile away so to speak. You learn to just shrug it off. And as pointed out, they'll go to someone else so you don't have to deal with them any longer (thankfully). They'll leave the next one a bad review too...you're starting to get where I'm going...it's often not you that's the issue.

The older guy who says "Just tell me what you think I should do doc" isn't going to leave you a bad review. The 53 year old woman who tells you about how she googled this and that and what she has HAS to be this and wants so and so specific treatment...possible bad review incoming.
...or bad mouthing the last doc that is an "idiot."

Status
Not open for further replies.