1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I do this

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by MS05', Oct 12, 2001.

1. MS05'

MS05' Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Say someone wanted to go into pediatric oncology, how would they go about the residency thing? 2 years in internal medicine, then a hem/onc or onc. fellowship? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AJM

AJM SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    To do peds onc or peds heme/onc you must first do a 3-year pediatrics residency. Then you do either a 2-year peds onc fellowship or a 3-year peds heme/onc fellowship. The most common way to do peds onc is to do your fellowship in peds heme/onc. Having the dual fellowship is often considered more desirable.

4. MS05'

MS05' Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If you decided to go into adult oncology then you'd do a 2 year residency in internal medicine before a fellowship right? What about a med-peds residency...is it 3 years just like the peds residency? Thanks!

5. AJM

AJM SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Actually, for adult onc you do a 3-year IM residency, then fellowship. Similar to the peds fellowships, the adult fellowship is either 2 years onc or 3 years of heme-onc.

I know a whole lot of nothing about med-peds, but I do believe that it's at least a 4-year residency. :)