Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

How do I do this

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by MS05', Oct 12, 2001.

1. MS05'

MS05' Senior Member

Say someone wanted to go into pediatric oncology, how would they go about the residency thing? 2 years in internal medicine, then a hem/onc or onc. fellowship? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AJM

AJM SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    To do peds onc or peds heme/onc you must first do a 3-year pediatrics residency. Then you do either a 2-year peds onc fellowship or a 3-year peds heme/onc fellowship. The most common way to do peds onc is to do your fellowship in peds heme/onc. Having the dual fellowship is often considered more desirable.

4. MS05'

MS05' Senior Member

If you decided to go into adult oncology then you'd do a 2 year residency in internal medicine before a fellowship right? What about a med-peds residency...is it 3 years just like the peds residency? Thanks!

5. AJM

AJM SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    Actually, for adult onc you do a 3-year IM residency, then fellowship. Similar to the peds fellowships, the adult fellowship is either 2 years onc or 3 years of heme-onc.

I know a whole lot of nothing about med-peds, but I do believe that it's at least a 4-year residency. :)