Medical How do I explain a gap due to motherhood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some secondaries ask to explain any gap in full-time activity > 3 months. I took several months off, right after my Army discharge, during which I had a high-risk pregnancy. When this child was young (age 1-3), I worked and volunteered only 3 days/week. Later, I returned to full-time activity. The child is healthy now, but how do I mention these gaps in my resume, without triggering concerns from an adcom? In the real world outside of medicine, women seeking employment don't disclose the fact that they have a family, because bias is very real. People wonder if she will be as committed as a non-mother.

(a) Do adcoms hold those same concerns? How can I reassure them?

(b) I have waited a long time to apply to medical school, for a reason -- my husband is finally retiring from his own military career and will be a stay at home dad while I take my turn. (I didn't want to single parent during med school if he deployed.) Should I mention this? Or will it just seem like I don't prioritize my career?
It's too hard to predict how any person or committee will receive your disclosure, so just tell the truth. Nothing disclosed here should warrant a negative flag, in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

Many people have children, and I very much doubt that any interviewer will question your commitment to medicine because you chose to have a child. The fact that the pregnancy was high-risk is a part of that. You reassure them by showing them all the wonderful things you've done in your application. Many physicians have children during their medical school and training, and no one expects you not to have normal life events happen to you during your training.

Status
Not open for further replies.