How do I express interest in schools as a prospective student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WinstonOBoogie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have read around and done some searching, but here it is anyway.

I am at the point in my undergrad degree where I want to more seriously scout out some med schools (about 10 months from the MCATs). What's the best way to get in touch with schools to say "Hey, I want to check out your school"? I suppose ideally I would like to stay and follow a student around for a day or two. Is this unreasonable? Do schools help out in this regard?

If it helps, one school in which I am particularly interested is University of Washington.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Unlike undergrads, most med schools don't offer any formal programs for prospective students. The expectation is that you'll get the tour when you interview. This is a good thing, as you don't have to waste time visiting schools that won't accept you.

You can certainly visit a school you're interested in now, but if you don't have any "connections" your visit will likely be fruitless. My best advice is to do your research from MSAR and these forums. You can visit the schools your interested in and get a better feel for it when you interview.

Umm, it would be great for you to visit the schools before the interview. That will certainly impress the interviewer and show you want to go to their school. You don't get into medical school you get into A medical school and each school wants to know why you want them. I'm not saying to visit every school in America but if there's one you like that's close give it a shot. If you do go, make sure to get as many questions answered that you can. Meeting with the dean of admissions would be a great idea as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools will send you a brochure if you ask. E-mail the admissions office and ask for more information from the school. I don't know if it had any bearing on my acceptance, but the one school I did this for (during spring semester, sophomore year) was the school that I was accepted to.

Maybe if you're from the area....maybe you can try to shadow a doctor that has affiliations with the school. Sometimes a recommendation or a familiar name from the school will help get you an interview from the school. if u impress them enough, they might even pull for you.

It also doesn't hurt to get in contact with the admission office to see if you can tour the school if you live near the area or visiting the area. If they do, great! If not, it wouldn't hurt.

What year are you anyways??

Thanks everyone for your replies. I guess I will email some admission departments and see what they offer.

My school status is complicated as I've transferred around a bit, but I am about to enter the sixth semester of my degree (microbiology). I guess that makes me somewhere between a "junior" and "senior."

Just call the admissions office and ask if they offer tours or meetings with college students or something. Also if you know any med students who go there, you could ask them to show you around. I've done that for some people I knew who wanted to come to my school.

Hello,

I have read around and done some searching, but here it is anyway.

I am at the point in my undergrad degree where I want to more seriously scout out some med schools (about 10 months from the MCATs). What's the best way to get in touch with schools to say "Hey, I want to check out your school"? I suppose ideally I would like to stay and follow a student around for a day or two. Is this unreasonable? Do schools help out in this regard?

If it helps, one school in which I am particularly interested is University of Washington.

Thanks!

do you own kneepads? they come in handy. wear them under your clothes though so you dont look silly

Well realistically, your shot at UWashington is ~0% regardless of interest.
UWash Website said:
Residents of the states of Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, or Idaho are eligible to apply. Applicants from outside this five-state region who come from disadvantaged backgrounds and/or who have demonstrated a commitment to serving underserved populations will be considered. Foreign applicants, in addition to the above requirements, must be permanent residents of the United States. Individuals with a demonstrated interest in research may apply for the MD/PhD Program (MSTP) regardless of residency. Applications will not be considered from persons who have failed to meet minimum standards in another medical or dental school.

You can also post a message on the allo forum and ask if any current med students are willing to show you around on a day they are less busy. I've done that with three students already. Plus the med student will usually give you a more unbiased opinion of what they like and dislike about the school and can possibly show you things like the lecture hall, labs, etc.