How do I find a clinical clerckship in the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sas_antonio

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a med student in Beirut & I'm trying to find a clinical clerckship rotation in the US for next year ( 4 weeks) I can't seem to find any helpful websites.........Any advise anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are a final year student, many US medical schools will offer electives to foreign students. There is no central web site that I know of that lists these. You apply individually to each school for each elective. Your best option is to check the web sites for schools/programs you are interested in (look under Visiting Electives, etc.), see if they have application information on-line and apply through them.

Bear in mind that most schools will only offer final year electives and that the home students will have first choice. You will most likely be asked to provide evidence of health and liability/medical malpractice insurance coverage by your school - both of which must be in effect in the US. SOme schools require an application fee for the elective but most do not. Details can be found on each schools web site.

Hope this helps and I"ll move it over to Rotations and Residencies where you might get more advice.

Thank you Kimberli......... Hope to find something soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check out the VAs. I've seen that they allow foreigners to rotate there for extended periods of time. This allows a person to become acquainted with the American health system and also affords them the opportunity to "shine" and collect the all-important letters of recommendation, necessary for entry into the residency system if US training is your ultimate goal. I hope this is of some help to you. Good luck.

hi my friend,
try this web site ,
<a href="http://www.aamc.org/students/medstudents/electives/start.htm" target="_blank">http://www.aamc.org/students/medstudents/electives/start.htm</a>

when u access it, click on "2001?02 Extramural electives Compendium" on the top right , it carries u to a search engine for electives in all american med schools.

good luck.
Khalid.

Since there are electives for under grads, are there any observerships for FMGs?