How do I find a good podiatric surgeon in Northern NJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jersey

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to have an operation on both of my big toes (because of bone spurs/bunions? on the first joints.) I've been putting this off for several years but now its pretty much to the point where every step I take is painful.

About two years ago a pod made inserts for my shoes but said I'd probably need to have an operation anyway. I believe she wanted to do the operation since she sort of drew a picture of what needed to be done. As much as I liked her, I don't believe she has been trained as a surgeon and/or hasn't done many operations. She doesn't advertise herself as a surgeon.

So, is there a central registry where I can look at a pods credentials? What should I look for? Or how do I go about finding a good one? I hate to think I'd have to ask the doctor for his creds.

Members don't see this ad.

I know there are websites that help in finding a pod. I do not know the URLs though. Try googling find a podiatrist.

any one who is going to opperate on you especially for elective surgery and you do not have any oppinions from other patients - if I was meeting that doctor for a consultation - I would ask where they did their residency, how many of these opperations they do a year, and anything else you can think of.

I would also have consults with more than one surgeon. Then go with the one that makes you feel the most comfortable.

One other reason to ask lots of questions - it is not like plastic surgeons that have pictures of there cases pre and post - op so you can see their handy work. The only thing you'll have to go by is word of mouth and what the patients look like coming and going that day in the office (happy or not).

If you feel nervous about letting someone do surgery on you that is probably a good gut feeling to not get it done by them.

I have one name that I can PM you.

Good Luck.