How do I get a letter of recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ytt9953

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I was wondering how people usually get LOR from a professor? It seems close to impossible to get one from a professor (if don't do research for them) bc it seems difficult for them to get to know you.
Should I just go to office hour very often and let him or her get to know me? I don't want to seem annoying .
Which professors do u guys usually ask? For example , ones you've had multiple classes with? ( not just one quarter or sem). Do u ask professors only if u get an A in their class?

In other words, how does a Student build an relationship with an professor in order to get a LOR so when u ask it's not awkward. Also, should I only ask professors I've had for multiple quarters (I go to a quarter school) and should I have at least an A in that class? Also, when should u ask?

Thanks so much guys

Members don't see this ad.

You can always email them and say

"Hey, I took a class with you that I really enjoyed, and I really like how you taught it. I'm applying to medical school soon and I would be honored if you would be willing to write a letter of recommendation for me. I understand that you may not know me too well since I didn't come to office hours, but if you might be interested in doing this, I would be happy to come to your office to talk to you about my goals and motivations. I have attached a copy of my resume as it pertains to medical school to this email if you would like to see it. Please let me know if this would be something you might consider doing. Thank you very much, ytt9953"

That's what I did for a couple professors and it seemed to work out well (based on what my interviewers told me).

Reactions: 1 user
You can always email them and say

"Hey, I took a class with you that I really enjoyed, and I really like how you taught it. I'm applying to medical school soon and I would be honored if you would be willing to write a letter of recommendation for me. I understand that you may not know me too well since I didn't come to office hours, but if you might be interested in doing this, I would be happy to come to your office to talk to you about my goals and motivations. I have attached a copy of my resume as it pertains to medical school to this email if you would like to see it. Please let me know if this would be something you might consider doing. Thank you very much, ytt9953"

That's what I did for a couple professors and it seemed to work out well (based on what my interviewers told me).
Thank you so so much! Very helpful :)

Members don't see this ad :)
A quick google search will tell you everything you need about this topic.

A quick google search will tell you everything you need about this topic.
I have done a Google search... I have multiple multiple questions in my original post that are not clearly answer in Google. Jeeze