MD How do I get into medical school? 3.5 GPA, little ecs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetamazement

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a sophomore. microbio major. 3.5 gpa, no significant ec. No volunteering

I wanna apply after junior year so that I can go to med school right after senior year. I have 20 hours of shadowing and volunteered at hospital for 2 summers (maybe 100 hrs total? i didn't count). i have also worked as a calculus tutor for 6 months, and as a receptionist for a year part-time. oh, i also "volunteered" in a research lab as a research assistant for 2 months (3-4 hours per week), but kinda quit to focus on learning.

I'm an average college kid, and don't want to take any time off after school, just want to go straight to med school. I have about a year to prepare my resume, and will take MCAT in the fall.

What can I do to have the best possible chance of getting into med school? I can only afford to apply to 15-20 schools, and my gpa is only a 3.5, so I need to apply only to the schools that I have the highest chance of getting in, but I only have one state school and they have high out of state acceptances, so thats a problem. Im currently working as a calculus tutor and doing some shadowing once a week (internal medicine physician).

I also really want MD school, not DO school, because of some licensure problems in some states.

what med schools should I be looking to apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

"licensure problem in some states"

DOs can practice in every single state in the US of A and 60 other countries.

You're only a sophomore so you have time. Get that GPA up, make as close to a 4.0 from here on. Get into some more volunteering...find a hospital to volunteer at and go there regular (3-4 hours a week for 1-2 yrs)...find somewhere to volunteer that's non-clinical and go there for a long time.

Anyway, if your GPA stayed at 3.5, your MCAT would be the biggest factor in whether you could go MD. DO is a wonderful option and gives you tremendous flexibility...not to mention a doctor is a doctor is a doctor...is a doctor!

"licensure problem in some states"

DOs can practice in every single state in the US of A and 60 other countries.

You're only a sophomore so you have time. Get that GPA up, make as close to a 4.0 from here on. Get into some more volunteering...find a hospital to volunteer at and go there regular (3-4 hours a week for 1-2 yrs)...find somewhere to volunteer that's non-clinical and go there for a long time.

Anyway, if your GPA stayed at 3.5, your MCAT would be the biggest factor in whether you could go MD. DO is a wonderful option and gives you tremendous flexibility...not to mention a doctor is a doctor is a doctor...is a doctor!

i heard that do's have to pass some special internship in order to practice in certain states. I will try to volunteer at a hospital for a year and somewhere else for a year. do you think i will get into medical school if i do that? i know some people who are pre-med and they are really competitive, where they are leaders of various clubs, volunteered a lot etc. do med schools really care about club leadership? i dont really have time to do leadership stuff because i work part time.

Members don't see this ad :)
i heard that do's have to pass some special internship in order to practice in certain states. I will try to volunteer at a hospital for a year and somewhere else for a year. do you think i will get into medical school if i do that? i know some people who are pre-med and they are really competitive, where they are leaders of various clubs, volunteered a lot etc. do med schools really care about club leadership? i dont really have time to do leadership stuff because i work part time.
Leadership certainly helps, but things like a job do limit your availability.

Also, that is wrong about DOs. They don't have to do anything more than MDs to be licensed. Nothing. Do some research, it is something many pre-meds fail to learn more about and are doing themselves an injustice.

Leadership certainly helps, but things like a job do limit your availability.

Also, that is wrong about DOs. They don't have to do anything more than MDs to be licensed. Nothing. Do some research, it is something many pre-meds fail to learn more about and are doing themselves an injustice.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/do-and-allopathic-residencies.289244/

some people on this thread say that there are 5 states that require DO's to do some sort of special internship before being licensed in those states

they said florida, michigan, oklahoma, pennsylvania and west virginia require some other internship or test for Dos do go through. so I am just wondering how to get into an MD school just in case if I will want to move to one of those states

No, they are talking about the USMLE and COMLEX. These are board exams that medical students take that help to determine which specialty they match into. You can take both tests as a DO to go into any speciality.

3.5 is a solid GPA, no matter what people on this board say. Try to bump that to a 3.6-3.7 this year though. Make sure you make all A's in your science classes, if you have to figure out where to distribute your time. What will make or break you is the MCAT. If there is one single thing you do this year, study for the test like nobody's business. If you make 32+, you are probably golden for mid-to-low-tier MD schools. If you make even a 30, you'll get some MD invites if you apply early and broadly. What that means is submitting an primary and secondary application to any school at which you have a shot before August.

The lack of EC's is somewhat concerning but should take a backseat to the MCAT. See if you can find time to volunteer on weekends or shadow a few hours a week. Research is also helpful. Do you have any classes offered at your school that are research-based (ie, getting credit for working in a lab)? These can be very helpful application boosters without causing you to kill yourself by taking 18 credit hours and working at a lab.

DO is a great option as well. Do some research and depending on how you do on the MCAT, take a look at those schools as well. Good luck.

I have a 3.5 gpa and Im a sophomore. I thought that 3.5 gpa is "really good". Everyone tells me how 3.5 is totally amazing. but now i look here and everyone has a 3.8+ and various leadership activities.

i would like to apply to medical school at the end of my junior year, i really dont want to take any time off after school. so that gives me about a year to buff up my resume.
i dont have an mcat yet, but will take it in the fall.
my major is microbiology.
i have been a volunteer research assistant for 2 months, but only 3-4 hours a week. right now i quit because im trying to focus on studying. the research was biology based
i have 2 summers of hospital volunteering, not sure how many hours total, but im guessing about 100 give or take a few.
20 hours of shadowing, and i'm continuing to shadow a doctor right now (internal medicine physician) a couple hours a week.
1 year receptionist part time (work)
6 months calculus tutor

i really want to get into an MD school on my first try, but can only afford to apply to 15-20 schools. i have a year to work on my resume. what should i do to have the best possible chance of gaining acceptance to an MD school? I have just one year! i really dont have time to do any other activities because i have part-time work. so i can't really do any leadership activities, because i can't commit too much time, but i would like to know how i can utilize the time that i have the best.
should i return to the research lab?
should i volunteer at a hospital for an entire year?
should i volunteer somewhere else for a year?

i have part time work, and i will continue to work, so i can't commit way too much time to activities. i know some pre-meds who have done so many activities, like club leadership, and i feel so uncompetitive compared to them. wondering what to do for a year so that i have the best possible chances of getting in during 2015 application time. thanks

3.5 is a solid GPA, no matter what people on this board say. Try to bump that to a 3.6-3.7 this year though. Make sure you make all A's in your science classes, if you have to figure out where to distribute your time. What will make or break you is the MCAT. If there is one single thing you do this year, study for the test like nobody's business. If you make 32+, you are probably golden for mid-to-low-tier MD schools. If you make even a 30, you'll get some MD invites if you apply early and broadly. What that means is submitting an primary and secondary application to any school at which you have a shot before August.

The lack of EC's is somewhat concerning but should take a backseat to the MCAT. See if you can find time to volunteer on weekends or shadow a few hours a week. Research is also helpful. Do you have any classes offered at your school that are research-based (ie, getting credit for working in a lab)? These can be very helpful application boosters without causing you to kill yourself by taking 18 credit hours and working at a lab.

DO is a great option as well. Do some research and depending on how you do on the MCAT, take a look at those schools as well. Good luck.

thanks. my school does have a credit option for working in a lab, but i have to work in a lab at least 10 hours a week, and i really can't commit that much time since i have part time work. the labs don't pay, i would have to volunteer there, so i can't substitute that for part time work. i can probably find a hospital volunteer position, and maybe another volunteer position that isn't in the hospital, at least those wont take too much time. i love shadowing though, and i am shadowing a physician 2 hours a week right now. what schools should i apply to when it comes application time? i was thinking drexel, tulane, temple, but im not sure how to find other low tier schools that accept a lot of out of staters with low GPAs.

Don't be afraid of taking a gap year (or 2) to strengthen parts of your application. For instance work full time in research or at a clinic + do something outside of work. Also would allow you to save some money (if you live frugally).

Look at someone as accomplished as Atul Gawande. Obviously he is in a league of his own. But still - he didn't "rush" to med school straight out of undergrad.

Don't be afraid of taking a gap year (or 2) to strengthen parts of your application. For instance work full time in research or at a clinic + do something outside of work. Also would allow you to save some money (if you live frugally).

Look at someone as accomplished as Atul Gawande. Obviously he is in a league of his own. But still - he didn't "rush" to med school straight out of undergrad.

i just dont know if i will actually be able to find a job with a degree in biology. no one really hires for that degree where i live. and i would have to find a full time job after i graduate if i dont go to med school, but im afraid that the only jobs i will find will be stuff like "full time secretary" or something. not related to medicine or science. that's why i'm afraid that i'll just "waste" those "gap" years if I take them. I'll have to get some sort of job to get by and pay for rent, even if it's a paper-pusher job, or some cleaning job. And i will have less time to volunteer, so im not sure how that would help out my resume. that's why im trying to do the best i can to get accepted to med school as early as possible, and start right after undergrad.
obviously if i don't get accepted, then i will have to find a job to get by, but until then i am really hoping to do something that will make me have a high chance of landing an acceptance at any MD school in the US.

Assuming you will do fine with MCAT (the average of the matriculated is now 32), I think you should go back to that research position. 2 months of 3-4 hours a week are negligible, and you need to do some research. If you want to get accepted right away for financial reasons, you should not expect to have 8-hour sleep everyday. I remember walking from the lab at 4 am many nights, and you need to show on the application that you mean it when you say you want to get in straight out of college.

With that said, your ECs unfortunately will not impress anyone. You should look into research internships for this upcoming summer as well as the next. Look into some unique non-clinical volunteering (a few hours a week), and some other areas you are passionate about. Right now, your ECs are cookie-cutter, and people cannot distinguish you from other cookie-cutter applicants.

Is the part-time job absolutely necessary? Can you get a paid research or TA position?

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to tell you to not worry about what everyone else is doing; just do your best. But truth is, those with great gpa and MCAT scores are more likely to get in. So that should be your number one focus. I hate to admit it, and didn't do this myself, but you could switch to an easier major to get a higher gpa. That's what many have done here. (Don't fool yourself, Those 3.98s are not necessarily in hard majors.) That could also satisfy your concern about what to do after college if med school is not an option. My last point: taking on a leadership role isn't necessarily something that takes a lot more time. It's best to get some, if not just to check off the box that asks if you have leadership, but also because it's just good to do.

Assuming you will do fine with MCAT (the average of the matriculated is now 32), I think you should go back to that research position. 2 months of 3-4 hours a week are negligible, and you need to do some research. If you want to get accepted right away for financial reasons, you should not expect to have 8-hour sleep everyday. I remember walking from the lab at 4 am many nights, and you need to show on the application that you mean it when you say you want to get in straight out of college.

With that said, your ECs unfortunately will not impress anyone. You should look into research internships for this upcoming summer as well as the next. Look into some unique non-clinical volunteering (a few hours a week), and some other areas you are passionate about. Right now, your ECs are cookie-cutter, and people cannot distinguish you from other cookie-cutter applicants.

Is the part-time job absolutely necessary? Can you get a paid research or TA position?

Unfortunately there are no paid research or TA jobs available. However, I really love my part time job because I get to tutor students and help them out. My part time job is necessary for me, but I also love it. I am thinking about volunteering for a telephone lifeline, would this be a good volunteer position? If I'm just helping people over the telephone...

Unfortunately there are no paid research or TA jobs available. However, I really love my part time job because I get to tutor students and help them out. My part time job is necessary for me, but I also love it. I am thinking about volunteering for a telephone lifeline, would this be a good volunteer position? If I'm just helping people over the telephone...

Okay! I didn't know what exactly your part-time job was. What you have is just fine and keep it up!

As the poster said above, acing your MCAT is the number one priority. The next thing is research, in my opinion. If you are too tight on time management, I wouldn't start new volunteering. Do your best on MCAT and look into long-term research in case you have to reapply. No, helping over the phone is not a good position.

Why not take a year or two to do something like Americorps and then apply with a stronger application?

Okay! I didn't know what exactly your part-time job was. What you have is just fine and keep it up!

As the poster said above, acing your MCAT is the number one priority. The next thing is research, in my opinion. If you are too tight on time management, I wouldn't start new volunteering. Do your best on MCAT and look into long-term research in case you have to reapply. No, helping over the phone is not a good position.
What kind of volunteer positions should I look for?

What kind of volunteer positions should I look for?

Whatever you are passionate in and enjoy.

For me, as an example, I love to teach music to children so I started an organization with some friends and taught music for free. It was only several hours a week, because I collaborated with my friends. Don't do volunteering just because it's required. Show something about you as you volunteer, so that people will understand your passion and interests while you also show some altruism.

Whatever you are passionate in and enjoy.

For me, as an example, I love to teach music to children so I started an organization with some friends and taught music for free. It was only several hours a week, because I collaborated with my friends. Don't do volunteering just because it's required. Show something about you as you volunteer, so that people will understand your passion and interests while you also show some altruism.
Wow, that's really cool. Did you start a non-profit? It must be difficult to get it registered. I am also interested in tutoring, but I already have a tutoring experience that is paid, so I am wondering if adding a tutoring volunteer experience on top of that will be worth it.

As I said before, I think your priorities are MCAT and research. More unique volunteering will be nice, but I think that's a less priority.

As I said before, I think your priorities are MCAT and research. More unique volunteering will be nice, but I think that's a less priority.
How many hours a week should I be in the research lab?

As much as your time management allows.

Depending on the nature of research work you do, it could take, perhaps, 20 hours a week. However, this is roughly about 2 full days during the weekend every week. This might not even be enough for some basic science research projects.

More hours you spend and more you are willing to deliver some results at the end, I would do so instead of starting a new volunteering position.

As much as your time management allows.

Depending on the nature of research work you do, it could take, perhaps, 20 hours a week. However, this is roughly about 2 full days during the weekend every week. This might not even be enough for some basic science research projects.

More hours you spend and more you are willing to deliver some results at the end, I would do so instead of starting a new volunteering position.

Hmm, alright I will take that into consideration. 20 hours a week seems a bit much for me though, I was only putting in 4 hours a week about a month ago, but I might be able to squeeze in more hours.

Also, if I do scientific research, do I have to still be a science major? I really want to raise my GPA, but I don't think I am good at memorization. I am a microbiology major right now, but I don't know how much I will be able to raise my GPA with that major, as that requires a lot of memorization. I understand that medical school is also a lot of memorization, but I heard that if you pass all your class in med school without needing to get "A's", you can still be a doctor. I am thinking to switch to an education or a business major. Do you think medical schools will think it is weird that I do science research, but am a non-science major?

Hmm, alright I will take that into consideration. 20 hours a week seems a bit much for me though, I was only putting in 4 hours a week about a month ago, but I might be able to squeeze in more hours.

Also, if I do scientific research, do I have to still be a science major? I really want to raise my GPA, but I don't think I am good at memorization. I am a microbiology major right now, but I don't know how much I will be able to raise my GPA with that major, as that requires a lot of memorization. I understand that medical school is also a lot of memorization, but I heard that if you pass all your class in med school without needing to get "A's", you can still be a doctor. I am thinking to switch to an education or a business major. Do you think medical schools will think it is weird that I do science research, but am a non-science major?

Nope! Switch to a major you enjoy and still do the science research. I've heard of someone majoring in dance/ballet, but doing cancer research.

Do well on the MCAT, keep working on the ECs and get good recommendations. People get in with lower GPAs. I did, but I also took time off to do other things, which helped my ECs a lot.

I have a couple summers of hospital volunteering (not sure how many hrs, maybe 100 or so total)
-22 hours of shadowing (continuing to shadow)
-calculus tutor for 6 months, 10 hours a week
-part time receptionist for one year during college (job)
regular college person ("traditional")
don't really want to take any gap years.
I'm starting a long-term hospital volunteer position right now, 3 hours a week. I might have 100-150 hours of this position in 1.5 years.
-volunteered in research lab 3-4 hours a week for 2 mnths
3.5 gpa

haven't taken mcat yet

Want to go to MD school. If I don't get in on my first try to MD schools, then i apply to DO schools (mixed with MD schools) on second try

-continue clinical volunteering
-continue shadowing (should have at least ~50 hours)
-start some type of non-clinical volunteering/community service (not required, but would highly recommend it)
-improve GPA (average is about 3.6.), the higher the better
-maybe start thinking about who will write you a letter of rec

Are you still doing research? Do you do any 'fun' activities that show you do more than what's required for medical school (ie. sports, music, art, etc.)? Any clubs?

-continue clinical volunteering
-continue shadowing (should have at least ~50 hours)
-start some type of non-clinical volunteering/community service (not required, but would highly recommend it)
-improve GPA (average is about 3.6.), the higher the better
-maybe start thinking about who will write you a letter of rec

Are you still doing research? Do you do any 'fun' activities that show you do more than what's required for medical school (ie. sports, music, art, etc.)? Any clubs?

I don't really do any fun activities, since I mostly just study and work (work takes up some time), so I don't have much time to participate in fun activities. I am a member of the pre-health club at my university. Sometimes they have events that I go to. I will try to fit in maybe a few hours of research a week, I have to contact my lab mentor about that. Other than that, I don't really do anything else. Everything takes up a lot of time, and commuting takes a lot since I go on public transit. What sort of activity should I do that medical schools will consider 'fun" or interesting?

I don't really do any fun activities, since I mostly just study and work (work takes up some time), so I don't have much time to participate in fun activities. I am a member of the pre-health club at my university. Sometimes they have events that I go to. I will try to fit in maybe a few hours of research a week, I have to contact my lab mentor about that. Other than that, I don't really do anything else. Everything takes up a lot of time, and commuting takes a lot since I go on public transit. What sort of activity should I do that medical schools will consider 'fun" or interesting?

Well, the question isn't what will medical schools consider fun or interesting, but what YOU find fun and interesting. Medical schools want to see a well-rounded person with diverse interests and hobbies, not some robot who just studied and got high stats. You don't necessarily have to do anything formal, but at the very least, think about something you do for fun that you can put on the app, like martial arts, art, working out, sports, anything!

Looks like you're on the right track. Longevity, especially in your clinical and research activities, is important. Also remember to maintain any professional relationships and also relationships with your professors to get letters of rec. I would highly suggest doing some sort of community service, like volunteering at a shelter or food bank, because many schools I came across in my app cycle seemed to value non-clinical community service (almost an unspoken requirement). Of course, that depends on the schools you end up applying to.

Up the GPA, do well on the MCAT. Have fun applying! Also, depending on your MCAT, I would apply to DO schools the first year anyway. It sucks to be a reapplicant and doing all you can to get in the first time is highly recommended.

You could benefit greatly from a year or two off. I don't know where kids these days get the idea that they have to go straight through, but people who take time off actually have a better chance of getting in because they've matured, gotten some well-needed perspective, and thought a lot about why they want to go into medicine. Not to be rude, but you sound like you're trying to check off boxes to get into a school as quickly as possible. That's not how it works, and that's not how you stand out, especially with a GPA that isn't steller (albeit, not terrible either).

Think about it this way. Schools are interviewing 10-25% of their applicants. That means 75-90% aren't getting an interview. Sure, a bunch are probably autoscreened out, but what about those with the decent stats? Chances are, they just didn't stand out to the admissions committee. With each applicant, adcoms are asking "what is it about THIS candidate that makes me want to meet them in person? how will this candidate add to the diversity of our class? what does this candidate bring to the table that is unique and demonstrates that they can, and want to, be a physician (rather than a researcher, non-physician health care worker, etc)"

Disagree. OP, you need to show AdComs that you can walk and chew gum at the same time, because medical school will be a LOT harder than what you're dealing with now.

You need to show AdComs that you know what you're getting into, and show off your altruistic, humanism side.
We're also not looking for merely for good medical students, we're looking for people who will make good doctors, and 4.0 GPA robots are a dime-a-dozen.

I've seen plenty of posts here from high GPA/high MCAT candidates who were rejected because they had little patient contact experience.

Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital.

Service need not be "unique". If you can alleviate suffering in your community through service to the poor, homeless, illiterate, fatherless, etc, you are meeting an otherwise unmet need and learning more about the lives of the people (or types of people) who will someday be your patients. Check woth your local houses of worship for volunteering opportunities.

Thus, you're also going to have to get the needed ECs in.

If there are no biology related jobs wher eyou live, I suggest that you move out of your comfort zone and, well, move. There is always a need for good techs in Pharma and Academia.

A 3.5 GPA is good, but slightly be the avg of 3.6 for acceptees. Invest in MSAR when application time rolls around and apply strategically and intelligently.

Disagree. OP, you need to show AdComs that you can walk and chew gum at the same time, because medical school will be a LOT harder than what you're dealing with now.

You need to show AdComs that you know what you're getting into, and show off your altruistic, humanism side.
We're also not looking for merely for good medical students, we're looking for people who will make good doctors, and 4.0 GPA robots are a dime-a-dozen.

I've seen plenty of posts here from high GPA/high MCAT candidates who were rejected because they had little patient contact experience.

Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital.

Service need not be "unique". If you can alleviate suffering in your community through service to the poor, homeless, illiterate, fatherless, etc, you are meeting an otherwise unmet need and learning more about the lives of the people (or types of people) who will someday be your patients. Check woth your local houses of worship for volunteering opportunities.

Thus, you're also going to have to get the needed ECs in.

If there are no biology related jobs wher eyou live, I suggest that you move out of your comfort zone and, well, move. There is always a need for good techs in Pharma and Academia.

A 3.5 GPA is good, but slightly be the avg of 3.6 for acceptees. Invest in MSAR when application time rolls around and apply strategically and intelligently.

I am starting to volunteer at a hospital where hopefully I will stay for the next year - year and a half. I will try to find somewhere else to volunteer at. How many hours should I aim for by the time I apply (non hospital)?

100 hrs is a nice round number

ok, i will aim to get a hundred hours of some sort of non hospital volunteering by the time i apply. Should I also add some DO schools to my list instead of just md schools? I am not sure how DO schools will implicate residency match. How do the DO residencies work? I heard that you have to apply after you are already done with medical school. Wouldn't you lose a year then?

Please do some homework instead of listening to ignorance. My students put in their match choices in their 4th year, just like all the other med students. Look up "AOA residencies" and "ACGME residencies".

My students, BTW match very well. And yes, they can specialize. For one tiny example, the Dean at TUNCOM is a rheumatologist.

ok, i will aim to get a hundred hours of some sort of non hospital volunteering by the time i apply. Should I also add some DO schools to my list instead of just md schools? I am not sure how DO schools will implicate residency match. How do the DO residencies work? I heard that you have to apply after you are already done with medical school. Wouldn't you lose a year then?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi so I am a Senior in High School right now but I have been taking college classes since my sophomore year and I have a cGPA of 3.56. I will get my AA degree this semester at the same time with my high school diploma. I am also transferring to FIU this summer to major in Biomedical Engineering. I have been really worried because I REALLY want to /NEED to get to medical school some day and my GPA is not that competitive. I have done an internship of 60 hours with a General surgeon and I also have volunteered about 150 hours at the hospital.I just wanted to know what should I do to have a better chance to get into Med school in the pretty soon future. I would also like to know what should my MCAT score should be to be kinda safe from med school admissions.

Hi so I am a Senior in High School right now but I have been taking college classes since my sophomore year and I have a cGPA of 3.56. I will get my AA degree this semester at the same time with my high school diploma. I am also transferring to FIU this summer to major in Biomedical Engineering. I have been really worried because I REALLY want to /NEED to get to medical school some day and my GPA is not that competitive. I have done an internship of 60 hours with a General surgeon and I also have volunteered about 150 hours at the hospital.I just wanted to know what should I do to have a better chance to get into Med school in the pretty soon future. I would also like to know what should my MCAT score should be to be kinda safe from med school admissions.
You should start your own thread rather than trying to tag onto a 3 year old thread.

You should start your own thread rather than trying to tag onto a 3 year old thread.

He has three threads going on at t the moment. All made around the same time but with different titles.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

He has three threads going on at t the moment. All made around the same time but with different titles.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
He was having trouble finding the right place to start a new thread. He even accidentally messaged me. ;) Hopefully a mod will merge them all into one.