1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I get myself organized :/

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by nope80, Jan 2, 2009.

1. nope80

nope80 Resident
    10+ Year Member

Seriously, I am a second year and still don't feel like I am totally organized or efficient. I don't exactly have a study plan in place where I have a particular routine. We are starting neuro with lab and have a lot more class during the day and I would really like to start integrating exercise into my life and just becoming more efficient. I tent to spend A LOT of time reading books, sources, and taking notes and not enough time actually studying and commanding info to memory (not matter how hard I try, I always fall into this trap).

Anyone that has their life under control, I'd appreciate advice or any particular schedules that you use to stay on top of things.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. OncoCaP

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Work with the way you are as opposed to trying to transform into something you're not. As far as exercise goes, set a particular time to work out each day (whether AM or PM) and find a buddy to work out with ... or take some kind of exercise class where you need to be there at a certain time. You might not be efficient because you don't need to be efficient and achieve what you want to do. To fix this, add the other things you want to do and make your studying compensate. For example, by setting the workout time and forcing your studying to work around that, you'll naturally study more efficiently because that one hour slot or whatever won't be there to waste anymore. If you got married and had 3 kids, you would become even more efficient, out of necessity. Your brain is smart enough to recognize "false" requirements and ignore them. It's only when you really need to do something (or are behind) that you get stressed enough to pick up the pace and do what you should have done in the first place. There are other techniques, such as studying with people who are efficient, but they might be reluctant to study with someone who is inefficient.

4. GZA

GZA Marcel who?
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Small moves. Regularities in wake/sleep times. Designate a certain hour 3-4 times per week for exercise. Of paramount importance to any "plan" is adhering to it; not doing so will have a "slippery slope" type effect and the routine will degenerate into the capricious nature of your current habits (oh lord).

5. Hoo\/er

Hoo\/er if($profit){replicate();}
    10+ Year Member

Like GZA said, you need to take everything one step at a time.

Step 1: Drink more beer, this will help.

Step 2: Play more video games, the ladies love that kind of stuff.

Step 3: Don't show up for class except for exams, you'll look like a badass.

Step 4: ???

Step 5: Profit.

6. Isoprop

Isoprop Fascinating, tell me more
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i think routine is overrated. I prefer flexibility. :cool:

7. swifteagle43

swifteagle43 Lover- not a fighter
    10+ Year Member

agreed....some weeks are harder than others... dont make a routine make a game plan of the whole week or even month.

More than a routine you should have a roug estimate of what to do and constantly adjust. Medical school is like juggling and at any time they can throw in a new ball...

8. sprinkibrio

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Who are these people that have their life in control? So envious.