How do I get Started?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angel_94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

How are you all doing? I just finished my 2nd year of college. Until now I was not sure what I wanted to do, but now I know I want to go into medicine. However, I am feeling very overwhelmed with everything. So, I just want to know how do I get started... I have started reading this book called "Planning a Life in Medicine" by Princeton Review. Are there other books out there that can help me increase my knowledge on what Med school is like, what kind of things I'll have to do, etc... I also put in my application to start volunteering in the Hospital. How do I search which schools are good for me and which not?

I just to know the basics of this whole process cause like I said, I am feeling very overwhelmed with the amount of info that I actually discovered. Any suggestions, tips, advice....? Anything might be helpful...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Lots of students decide to pursue medicine late in their college years. That's not a problem at all. However, it's basically impossible for you to be ready to apply by the end of next year (your junior year), so you'll probably apply either at the end of your senior year or a year after that. This depends on when you can complete your pre-reqs.

What's your major? I'm only asking because I want to see what you might already have completed. To qualify for most medical schools, you need to complete:

1 year of physics with lab
1 year general chemistry with lab
1 year organic chemistry with lab
1 year biology with lab
*for some schools: 1 semester of stats or calculus (go with stats)

It's also recommended that you take a few upper level science courses as well.

At this point, the most important thing for you to do is to think about your schedule for the rest of your college career and plan to incorporate the pre-reqs into it. You don't have to change your major if you don't want to, just try to fit in the pre-reqs.

In addition, start acquiring clinical experience (usually through volunteering at a hospital or clinic), shadowing, and if you can, research. Also be sure to pursue your interests. Don't worry about the MCAT until you complete your pre-reqs. And don't worry about having to take a gap year, it's not a big deal in the long run. Hope that was helpful!

Edit: If you don't mind sharing, how have your grades been so far?

Reactions: 1 users
Volunteer in a hospital and shadow some physicians this summer. If you don't like that then don't bother with everything else. If you do, then start worrying about taking all the prereqs and everything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, forgot to add: you're going to have to end up taking the new MCAT, which means you should plan to take biochemistry and psychology and/or sociology at some point.

Also, forgot to add: you're going to have to end up taking the new MCAT, which means you should plan to take biochemistry and psychology and/or sociology at some point.

There is no and/or. It's psychology and sociology. :p

Lots of students decide to pursue medicine late in their college years. That's not a problem at all. However, it's basically impossible for you to be ready to apply by the end of next year (your junior year), so you'll probably apply either at the end of your senior year or a year after that. This depends on when you can complete your pre-reqs.

What's your major? I'm only asking because I want to see what you might already have completed. To qualify for most medical schools, you need to complete:

1 year of physics with lab
1 year general chemistry with lab
1 year organic chemistry with lab
1 year biology with lab
*for some schools: 1 semester of stats or calculus (go with stats)

It's also recommended that you take a few upper level science courses as well.

At this point, the most important thing for you to do is to think about your schedule for the rest of your college career and plan to incorporate the pre-reqs into it. You don't have to change your major if you don't want to, just try to fit in the pre-reqs.

In addition, start acquiring clinical experience (usually through volunteering at a hospital or clinic), shadowing, and if you can, research. Also be sure to pursue your interests. Don't worry about the MCAT until you complete your pre-reqs. And don't worry about having to take a gap year, it's not a big deal in the long run. Hope that was helpful!

Edit: If you don't mind sharing, how have your grades been so far?

Thank you! I should have mentioned my major when writing this..oops lol. Anyways, I am doing a B.S. in Biology so I will already meet the requirement to the medical school. The only thing that I have left to take is 1 year of organic chemistry which I am planning on taking this year (Junior Year) because I am doing Physics right now. I heard that Class of 2016 had the choice of taking the new or the old MCAT - is that not true? My grades have been As and Bs so far... I think my GPA right now is 3.6 or 3.7. I have also taken Introductory Psychology and Sociology classes.

Thank you! I should have mentioned my major when writing this..oops lol. Anyways, I am doing a B.S. in Biology so I will already meet the requirement to the medical school. The only thing that I have left to take is 1 year of organic chemistry which I am planning on taking this year (Junior Year) because I am doing Physics right now. I heard that Class of 2016 had the choice of taking the new or the old MCAT - is that not true? My grades have been As and Bs so far... I think my GPA right now is 3.6 or 3.7. I have also taken Introductory Psychology and Sociology classes.

Well, now that you mention that, I think you're in very good shape so far. Since you still have to take Orgo, though, you won't be able to take the current MCAT unless you want to take it before completing Organic chem, and you'd probably have to sign up ASAP for one of the last exam dates. If you signed up for January 2015 (the last administration of the current MCAT), you'd still have not completed Organic II. It's up to you to decide if you think you can find time to study and do well.

On the other hand, you could wait until you're completely done with junior year and use the summer after to study for the MCAT, and then take it in August. You would then be taking the new MCAT. If you did that, however, you'd probably be better off applying at the end of your senior year and taking a gap year.

Keep your grades up, of course.