How do I get the AMSA discount for the Kaplan MCAT course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdoctor08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I sign up online, how do I redeem this $200 discount?

Members don't see this ad.

I did not sign up online. I called them and received $200 discount.

Kaplan = shoving $1700 down a toilet bowl.

Members don't see this ad :)

It's the biggest waste of your time. You can study much more effectively if you just do it on your own (which you'll have to do anyway, but too many people use Kaplan as a crutch and forget that part) with books, and save yourself at least $1500.

Class room sessions: waste. this is time you could have used more efficiently, or utilized for an EC or your current semester classes.
Subject tests: low yield and over the top
Verbal: the worst verbal prep of any MCAT prep company
Practice tests: check out the MCAT forum, usually don't correlate as well with what people got on the real thing. Since the science sections are "more difficult" the scale is far too forgiving, and it's material you wouldn't see on the MCAT anyway. Kaplan tends to be a lot of detail and memorization, and little critical thinking and reasoning which the actual MCAT is. AAMC practice tests are far more accurate. And are you really going to do 20 practice tests (Kaplan + AAMC??)? Doubt it. Stick with the 8 AAMC tests.
Books: lame questions that aren't written in MCAT style. Lack of training for passages.
Qbank and flash cards: littered with typos and incorrect information

I agree with the above post. Classroom was waste.
but, i found their online resources very helpful, especially the full length tests.

It's the biggest waste of your time. You can study much more effectively if you just do it on your own (which you'll have to do anyway, but too many people use Kaplan as a crutch and forget that part) with books, and save yourself at least $1500.

Class room sessions: waste. this is time you could have used more efficiently, or utilized for an EC or your current semester classes.
Subject tests: low yield and over the top
Verbal: the worst verbal prep of any MCAT prep company
Practice tests: check out the MCAT forum, usually don't correlate as well with what people got on the real thing. Since the science sections are "more difficult" the scale is far too forgiving, and it's material you wouldn't see on the MCAT anyway. Kaplan tends to be a lot of detail and memorization, and little critical thinking and reasoning which the actual MCAT is. AAMC practice tests are far more accurate. And are you really going to do 20 practice tests (Kaplan + AAMC??)? Doubt it. Stick with the 8 AAMC tests.
Books: lame questions that aren't written in MCAT style. Lack of training for passages.
Qbank and flash cards: littered with typos and incorrect information

I second this! I have been trying to articulate why Kaplan sucks so much and this post does a good job summing up my thoughts. I have to add that it's not just that time in class, it's the time traveling to and from that you also have to consider.

The most valuable thing I got from kaplan course was "What an ox loses, a red cat gains" lol that's it! ;-)

It's ridiculous, when you compare Kaplan full length MCAT percentiles to the AAMC ones, Kaplan is waaaay more forgiving - by 20 percentile points...

However, If you still have money to burn and would like to take Kaplan, when I signed up for it I just googled Kaplan coupons and found one that gave me 200 bucks off. I'm sure the coupons are still there.

use examkrackers and Berkley review. much better

I disagree. Kaplan has its merits. I took the course and went from a 28 on their diagnostic to a 36T on the real thing. The most important thing I learned from them was how to do the written essay.

Yes, you could also study on your own. However, it requires med-school-like discipline to do it AND also finish junior/senior year classes at the same time. I listen to people talking and drawing better than I read (also a reason why I'm going to lectures despite the fact that I usually just fall asleep in them).

I also taught for ExamKrackers MCAT prep. I didn't see much of a difference in the materials: it really depends on their tutors and how much they know their stuff.

Kaplan has its merits. I took the course and went from a 28 on their diagnostic to a 36T on the real thing. The most important thing I learned from them was how to do the written essay.

Not sure if srs. Of course you scored lower on the diagnostic, they make that impossibly hard in order to cover their butts for the money back guarantee. Also, who cares if they helped on the writing section, AdComs sure don't.