Medical How do I go about asking for scholarship/aid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am fortunate enough to be holding 2 acceptances and want to see if there is anything I can do to get a chance at a scholarship/aid. I have a few quick questions regarding this. I know that in order to be considered for need-based aid, my parents financial information must be included on my FAFSA. I am a non-traditional student in my mid/late 20s and originally kept my parents finances off of my FAFSA because, with no intention of sounding arrogant, my parents make good money and I did not think including this info would help my financial award packages. However, especially as a slightly older/non-traditional student, I am financially independent and financing my entire medical education myself. Is there a possibility of requesting need based aid in my circumstances if I include my parents finances (a requirement), or should I just consider myself as not having a chance at this despite having to fund my education completely on my own? My main worry regarding including this information is that I will ultimately be awarded less money if I do.

Also, I have read mixed reviews about emailing schools and asking for scholarship/grant money - I know a small number of applicants get merit-based scholarships. I was wondering if it could hurt to email a school and ask for any assistance possible? Since I have not received any financial aid packages from either school yet, I am not in a position to "negotiate." However, I am wondering if it's worth sending an email that explains how grateful and excited I am to attend, but have to take cost into consideration and was wondering if anything could be done. If I were to send an email like this, is there any potential fallout or consequence? I want to be delicate in recognizing how fortunate of a position I am in to have multiple acceptances, but also, as we all know medical school is not cheap so anything I can do to alleviate the burden of debt in the future would be massive.

Any and all thoughts, comments, and experience is welcome and thanks so much for your help!
I think a reasonable response to your trying to not include your parents' financial information would be, "Well, if you "need" help then why don't you ask your parents for help?" I don't think there's any way around including your parents' finances, but I could be wrong.

I would not bother emailing schools until you have an actual package from which to negotiate from.

Members don't see this ad.

I am funding my entire education as well and had to list my parent's income. Not sure you can get around it. You will still get loans if that is what you are worried about...or is it only scholarship money you are worried about?

Status
Not open for further replies.