how do i go about this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chasingmytail

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to research schools and I was wondering what are the major criteria that I should be looking at? What do YOU look for?

Location? Matches? How do you find out about such things as percentage of students enetering a certain residency such as surgery, pediatrics, or subspecialties etc?

I'm kind of lost as how to go about this search for schools. Also where is it specified that a certain school accepts only in-state applicants? Are they mainly the public state school affiliated med schools like SUNY in ny?

Thanx guys and gals =)

Members don't see this ad.

MSAR, USNews online as stated, online at school websites.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a few ways to go about this, and the things to consider vary from applicant to applicant. A few ideas:

1. Where do you want to be in 10 years, and which school is going to get you there? If you want to do research, go to a school with an emphasis on research - if you want to do primary care, go to a school that emphasizes primary care.

2. Where do you want to live for four years? Big city? Little city? Face it - only so many hours in the day will be in school - the rest will be living somewhere, what kind of place do you want it to be?

3. Curriculum - does the school teach systems based? Organ based? PBL? Pass/fail or Grades? Which system works best for you?

4. Who are the other students that you will be spending your time with - if you are uncomfortable in a school with no diversity, how diverse is the school? What is the average age? gender breakdown?

5. What does the match list look like? If you want to go into XXX specialty, how will this school get you there?

6. What does the school "feel" like? Could you picture yourself happy there?

7. Cost - is this school going to be stupid expensive (BU, Tufts, Colorado) or super cheap (your state school)

8. How does your belief system work with the belief system of the school? Some schools are Catholic or Jesuit - does this conflict with your belief system, and if so, does it conflict enough to make it a problem?

9. Numbers - how well do the students perform on the boards?

10. Does Floptomist go there? This makes any school super-cool.

Flopotomist said:
There are a few ways to go about this, and the things to consider vary from applicant to applicant. A few ideas:

1. Where do you want to be in 10 years, and which school is going to get you there? If you want to do research, go to a school with an emphasis on research - if you want to do primary care, go to a school that emphasizes primary care.

2. Where do you want to live for four years? Big city? Little city? Face it - only so many hours in the day will be in school - the rest will be living somewhere, what kind of place do you want it to be?

3. Curriculum - does the school teach systems based? Organ based? PBL? Pass/fail or Grades? Which system works best for you?

4. Who are the other students that you will be spending your time with - if you are uncomfortable in a school with no diversity, how diverse is the school? What is the average age? gender breakdown?

5. What does the match list look like? If you want to go into XXX specialty, how will this school get you there?

6. What does the school "feel" like? Could you picture yourself happy there?

7. Cost - is this school going to be stupid expensive (BU, Tufts, Colorado) or super cheap (your state school)

8. How does your belief system work with the belief system of the school? Some schools are Catholic or Jesuit - does this conflict with your belief system, and if so, does it conflict enough to make it a problem?

9. Numbers - how well do the students perform on the boards?

10. Does Floptomist go there? This makes any school super-cool.

These are givin in reverse order so #10 is actually should be any persons number one priority

BrettBatchelor said:
Solid Post Flop. I expected the usual "Buy the MSAR" from you on this one.

LOL... (snort) glad to see that you are back posting Brett! And to the poster above me ... ROCK SOLID RIGHT!! :laugh: :laugh:

i look at curriculum. i like traditional lectures, preferable no pbl or fancy things. integration of technology is good too. location, name value