Quantcast

MD How do I improve in year 2?

Achieve USMLE Step PREP Success | Picmonic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ciestar

All grown up!
7+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Honestly, towards the end of MS1, I was struggling big time. The burnout was real and I was failing more exams than I was passing. (Luckily, I scored high on many of the exams in these courses prior to this disaster, so i wasnt in much danger of failing). The exception being neuroscience. Nearly failing the course really light a fire under my butt and I studied HARD, even spending a lot of hours getting 1 on 1 tutoring with an instructor.

However, I don't want to run into a you're failing and must do this again scenario. I don't know how to fix this. At this point, I have a panicky, doom and gloom mindset. Ive been discouraged for a while and it makes it even HARDER to get motivated.

I still have a few more weeks of summer break left. Is there anything I can do, especially now, to try and get this under control?

Thanks!

Moose A Moose

10+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Relax over break. Get your mind in the right place, and then go hard from the start. Not much else you can do. Meditation may help.

Reactions: 2 users

Hakuna Matata

Reaction score
    Relax this summer and start fresh for M2. I was exactly the same way at end of M1 and was genuinely convinced I would fail out partly because I felt burnt out. You're not the only one who gets to that point. Try to recharge this summer and destress as best as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user

LyMed

2+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Self awareness and reflection on what worked and what didn't. A positive outlook.
    Both of these can carry you pretty far in life. Best wishes.

Reactions: 1 users

hopefulERdoc251

5+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Honestly, towards the end of MS1, I was struggling big time. The burnout was real and I was failing more exams than I was passing. (Luckily, I scored high on many of the exams in these courses prior to this disaster, so i wasnt in much danger of failing). The exception being neuroscience. Nearly failing the course really light a fire under my butt and I studied HARD, even spending a lot of hours getting 1 on 1 tutoring with an instructor.

However, I don't want to run into a you're failing and must do this again scenario. I don't know how to fix this. At this point, I have a panicky, doom and gloom mindset. Ive been discouraged for a while and it makes it even HARDER to get motivated.

I still have a few more weeks of summer break left. Is there anything I can do, especially now, to try and get this under control?

Thanks!

For what it's worth, at least at my school and many others across the country, Neuroscience is the hardest class we'll have in school. The material itself is not nearly as intuitive as other concepts so it can be tricky so know that you have slayed the hardest class in school!

As for the doom and gloom, I feel ya on that one. Reflecting back on the exams you failed, what was the cause? Was it more you didn't review the material enough times, or did you fundamentally not understand the material (i.e you studied, you did as much as you could have in that time, but still got shafted)? When you did well, did you do anything different in your studying habits that allowed you to do well?

mw18

7+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    I think one of the major transitions you have to make is from being able to regurgitate all the material in undergrad to being able to recognize clusters of important information in med school. When I realized I didn't have to memorize everything as long as I could recognize most things, it started taking a lot less time. Less time on each detail in each subject meant I could get through all the lectures and make sure I was ready for all subjects on the test.

DrGoon

Membership Revoked
    Removed
    2+ Year Member
    Reaction score

Thanks!
    Hey dude I'm starting m3 and was in a similar situation to you. Made Bs and Cs during my first year, but bumped that up to As and Bs during m2. You can figure out the high yield m2 matrieal with sketchy pharm, sketchy micro, and pathoma. I didn't go to class and only used these resources to study and finished about average. Much less of a guessing game trying to figure out what matters

ciestar

All grown up!
    7+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I just need to somehow manage not to fall so far behind. That and my other bad habit of obsessing over every detail. I really want M2 to go better. I know i am capable, that's what makes this so much harder to deal with.