How do I improve MCAT score? (especially chem/phys)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlphaStudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy,

So my first Princeton review full length I got a 499 (123/123/127/126) and I just took another PR full length today and got a 505 (123/126/127/129). My issue is with chem/phys obviously. How can I improve this score? I have approximately 30 days before I take my official MCAT (Jan 19th). Also, tips on how to improve the other sections are also appreciated. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Each section is unique and requires a different tact to do well. The thing about the C/P section is that the material is very different from how it was presented in college courses, so many people have trouble adjusting to the style of the MCAT questions. To do well, you HAVE to master process of elimination. Their answer choices have a definite pattern to them, and once you realize this, the questions will feel much easier. This can only be achieved by do realistic questions and then thoroughly reviewing each question and answer, and I mean painstakingly slow analysis of their word choice in the question and each answer choice. Figuring out what they are asking is not always simple to do, and it comes with active reasoning and focused practice. You have to do AAMC materials, especially the section banks, so make that your top priority. I do not mean this to be promotional, so please do not take it this way, we just happen to be the source most people think is best for C/P. If you happen to have access to our materials, do all of our Phase 3 homework sets and for every minute you snd on the passage and questions, spend at least two minutes on the answer explanations. Master C/P test taking, not C/P content.

The B/B and P/S sections are more content-driven than the C/P section, so you will have to do some content review in addition to mastering test taking skills. After every FL you take, and before you grade the exam, go back to each passage and summarize what it was and what you needed to know. Then grade your exam and as you review the answer explanations, see if you did in fact recognize what was essential. No matter what your score may be, good or bad, as long as you are getting what is important from a passage, seeing the big picture, and able to understand their questions, then you are doing well.

Reactions: 2 users
@BerkReviewTeacher, I can't thank you enough for your books, especially C/P. The advice you posted above is exactly what I did and I got way above my dream C/P score of 128. Your science books were a godsend and way better than everything else I looked at.

@AlphaStudent, don't put much credence into any FL score besides AAMC. Even the AAMC practice exams aren't that great at predicting what to expect on the MCAT. They are the best thing you'll find, but your MCAT will be different in some way. Make sure you understand the basic concepts and try not to worry about the pure calculation questions you see on practice FLs. I grouped AAMC section bank passages to make it feel like a section on the MCAT and that was the closest I got to simulating what my actual test was like.

Reactions: 1 user
Howdy,

So my first Princeton review full length I got a 499 (123/123/127/126) and I just took another PR full length today and got a 505 (123/126/127/129). My issue is with chem/phys obviously. How can I improve this score? I have approximately 30 days before I take my official MCAT (Jan 19th). Also, tips on how to improve the other sections are also appreciated. Thanks guys!
I got a 130 in C/P by using Princeton Review book, Khan Academy videos, the Princeton Review Science Workbook for passages, and the aamc material. Wasn't an undergrad science major or anything special. After a while, I found this section to be the easiest to predict the answers to the questions. Once you practice enough, you can too.