How do I know if I'm a competitive applicant or not???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacist101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to select schools that I want to go to.
Basically, I am willing to go anywhere in eastern US pharm schools that accepts me.

I've been looking through PharmCAS school lists and the school information pages and I find myself having minimum gpa (3.0 science gpa, 3.1 science/math and 3.19 overall) for many schools

I know the stats that the schools provided are just "avg" and there are many other factors that count into getting accepted

but with minimum gpa,and crushed pcat english section scores (96 bio,91chem,89QA but 9in verbal,19 in RC, composite 74) would I even be considered as a competitive applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

with as many schools that have opened I'm sure you wont have a problem finding one to let you in

with as many schools that have opened I'm sure you wont have a problem finding one to let you in

you mean I should try new schools??
I'm sorry I may sound kinda stupid but It's just me desperately wanting to get into one..

since new school topic popped up, is it okay to apply to schools that are not accredited yet?? would there be any disadvantage later on (like finding job or such??)

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, how about you make up a post with all your stats & put it in the WAMC thread?

In the case of "average" scores, pharmacy experience can make your application stand out.

Also, you may want to check that none of your schools have a minimum PCAT section score. Otherwise, a 74 isn't bad.

If you don't know if you're a competitive applicant or not, you're probably not.

Honestly though, if you scored lower than 50 in any section on the PCAT you are not competitive.

If you don't know if you're a competitive applicant or not, you're probably not.

Honestly though, if you scored lower than 50 in any section on the PCAT you are not competitive.

Well, I should just pack it in now. My 4 years pharmacy experience, 3.6 GPA, Bachelors degree, and a 92 composite obviously mean nothing because I got a 27 on the QUANT section right?

To the OP, I know you're nervous. All of us applying this cycle are nervous as well. I would apply to schools that don't require the PCAT just in case, and contact the schools you would like to go to and explain what happened and maybe think about taking the Jan PCAT? I thought about telling schools that I would take it to show that I am not a dunce in math, however I'll let my calc grades speak for themselves.

Well, I should just pack it in now. My 4 years pharmacy experience, 3.6 GPA, Bachelors degree, and a 92 composite obviously mean nothing because I got a 27 on the QUANT section right?

To the OP, I know you're nervous. All of us applying this cycle are nervous as well. I would apply to schools that don't require the PCAT just in case, and contact the schools you would like to go to and explain what happened and maybe think about taking the Jan PCAT? I thought about telling schools that I would take it to show that I am not a dunce in math, however I'll let my calc grades speak for themselves.

I'm in the same boat as you, ended up with a 99th composite but a 24th on the quant section. Unlike you, my calc grades are also bad! :D

OP, you also won't be competitive if you've never discovered a cure for a modern disease, just being real with you about your chances. :rolleyes:

The poster above me has a really cute avatar.
To OP, ask Owle. ;)