How do I know if I'm ready to take the MCAT after the AAMC FL scored?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chromatic543

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been studying since the 10th of June and my MCAT is scheduled to be taken in nine days! I have taken several FL tests already:

TBR FL 2 502
TBR FL 1 502
TBR FL 3 502
EK FL 1 50%
EK FL 2 54%
EK FL 4 58%
AAMC FL scored (125, 124, 126, 122) 497

C/P: Not as high as I wanted it to be, and it was because of a lot of stupid mistakes.

CARS: This was actually my highest score in CARS that I have ever gotten.

B/B: A lot of mistakes because of rushing

P/S: Never scored this low in this section, but after going through a lot of terms and Khan Academy, I was able to go back and strengthen the concepts that I overlooked.

So my question is after all this and after doing the CARS question pack 1 and 2, and partially doing the Section Bank questions...how do I know if I'm ready? I was planning on rescheduling for the January test (applying next cycle anyway), but I feel a bit more ready thanks to some studying. However, what test can I take that will determine that since I already used my AAMC FL scored? Is there anything I can take that will tell me, or should I just reschedule it? I want to get at least in the 508-510 range.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're not applying until next cycle, it doesn't matter when you take it from now until may 2017. Take your time, study hard, and don't take those practice tests until 2-3 months before. Since you have a lot of time to study between now and whenever you're going to take it, DO NOT RUSH. You're scores right now are pretty low, so you have a long ways to go. 2 months before the exam, take a practice test once a week. When it's a couple of week left you can take more than one exam a week. And make the environment as close to exam day as possible. Slowly get the rhythm of it down. After 8 weeks of that you should be good for exam day and won't be so nervous. But right now, just focus on the content of it.
You said you made a lot of stupid mistakes, but that's very easy to tell only AFTER the exam and when you go back and review it. Have all of the content down so those mistakes won't happen for exam day.
Also, the reason why I said you shouldn't take the official practice exams until you feel like you're ready is because there aren't unlimited number of those. You want those practice exams to be new and fresh in the last two months too realistically gauge where you are at. If you take them now when you're not ready, you're just wasting them.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're not applying until next cycle, it doesn't matter when you take it from now until may 2017. Take your time, study hard, and don't take those practice tests until 2-3 months before. Since you have a lot of time to study between now and whenever you're going to take it, DO NOT RUSH. You're scores right now are pretty low, so you have a long ways to go. 2 months before the exam, take a practice test once a week. When it's a couple of week left you can take more than one exam a week. And make the environment as close to exam day as possible. Slowly get the rhythm of it down. After 8 weeks of that you should be good for exam day and won't be so nervous. But right now, just focus on the content of it.
You said you made a lot of stupid mistakes, but that's very easy to tell only AFTER the exam and when you go back and review it. Have all of the content down so those mistakes won't happen for exam day.
Also, the reason why I said you shouldn't take the official practice exams until you feel like you're ready is because there aren't unlimited number of those. You want those practice exams to be new and fresh in the last two months too realistically gauge where you are at. If you take them now when you're not ready, you're just wasting them.

1. Is it possible to study while taking a full load of classes? That was one of my biggest concerns. Luckily I did a bulk of content review over the summer, so it would not be as MUCH studying (I did 8 hours per day in Summer).

2. So do you think I should reschedule or just void the test? I have a Gold pass or a Gold zone or whatever it's called, but I don't know if I can actually reschedule this late.

3. Since I already took the AAMC FL scored, TBR 1-3, and EK 1, 2, and 4...what else do you recommend I take later on? NS? Kaplan? AAMC sample? I heard AAMC is releasing another scored test this Fall.

So I have been studying since the 10th of June and my MCAT is scheduled to be taken in nine days! I have taken several FL tests already:

TBR FL 2 502
TBR FL 1 502
TBR FL 3 502
EK FL 1 50%
EK FL 2 54%
EK FL 4 58%
AAMC FL scored (125, 124, 126, 122) 497

C/P: Not as high as I wanted it to be, and it was because of a lot of stupid mistakes.

CARS: This was actually my highest score in CARS that I have ever gotten.

B/B: A lot of mistakes because of rushing

P/S: Never scored this low in this section, but after going through a lot of terms and Khan Academy, I was able to go back and strengthen the concepts that I overlooked.

So my question is after all this and after doing the CARS question pack 1 and 2, and partially doing the Section Bank questions...how do I know if I'm ready? I was planning on rescheduling for the January test (applying next cycle anyway), but I feel a bit more ready thanks to some studying. However, what test can I take that will determine that since I already used my AAMC FL scored? Is there anything I can take that will tell me, or should I just reschedule it? I want to get at least in the 508-510 range.

Those scores, especially the AAMC full length score, are a very bad sign. I would reschedule. You will lose your money, but you can't erase a bad score once you have it. I know someone who got a 495 on the AAMC (2 months before the test) and ended up with a 499 on the real thing. I think he'll have a pretty tough cycle. Unfortunately, miracles rarely, if ever, happen on test day. With scores that low. You need a minimum of 6 months prep. It looks like content review is lacking. Once you review your weak areas, dedicate the last 2 months to nothing but practice exams and careful review (especially for careless mistakes). I recommend EK and NS since they are the best in approximating your test score (although none of them do a really great job. Just to give you some perspective, I averaged a 506 on PR, 509 on NS, 514 on AAMC and 517 on the actual MCAT.