1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

How do I know medicine is for me???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by NubianPrincess, Aug 17, 2001.

1. NubianPrincess

NubianPrincess Perpetually Bored
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    All my life I've loved science. I've wanted a career in medicine most of my life. As I get older, I continue to understand what it truly means to be a part of the health field. I am not that far in my pre-med education. I spend almost one year volunteering in a hospital, and loved it. I love helping people. I love feeling needed. I am fasinated with the human body, its functions and capabilities. I've always been a pretty good student, and have always loved challenges and understanding the science of living beings. And I want a good career so that I can have the type of things that I or my family never thought I would have, such as a car and a nice house in a safe, attractive neighborhood(which may not seem like much to some, but are dreams to others)But, how do I know if I will have what it takes to be a doctor, or even a medical student? How do I learn more about medicine beyond the curriculum offered at my school? How do I actively develop my personal skills? How do I set myself apart from other students?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hmm :). you've already volunteered? well, do more...maybe try volunteering in an area that's more specific to what you might want to do (i.e. in the ER or children's ward, etc etc etc). Try a free clinic. Shadow some docs, maybe even try to find work in a bio-med research lab on campus or as a med tech.

From what you've said, it sounds like medicine is right for you. If you want to become a doctor, you know. You can't see yourself doing anything else. You just know.

As far as setting yourself apart from others? Follow your passions. And I don't mean medically-related...something else. Sports, hobbies, anything that you love to do. Don't go looking for ways to differentiate yourself. Just be true..to you, and whatever uniqueness just happens.

Why do you need to develop personal skills? Shouldn't you have them by now? Join clubs related to your interests. That's how you develop interpersonal skills and make friends. Do stuff on your own, life isn't a self-help manual :).

4. NubianPrincess

NubianPrincess Perpetually Bored
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks for the advice. I think my personal skills are pretty good, but im afraid that they wont improve now that I am leaving the FT workforce.
    How do I get involved with shadowing? I am getting ready to volunteer in the childrens hospital (I love tutoring/working with children and think I may want to be a pediatrician) Do I try and make connections there?
    I have other interests that I really want to pursue, but don't see an easy route to do so. I love to sing and want to take some dance classes. But. my school is pretty small and doesnt offer any voice/dance classes, except one intro to dance. It seems like summer would be a good time to pursue such interests, but I am kinda poor and will probably need to work two jobs to pay for tuition and books.
    Would it be a dumb move to take ballet or voice lessons at the community college?

5. racergirl

racergirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Of course not! It would be fun and you'll enjoy it. How could that be a dumb move? The path to med school is a long one--might as well enjoy the trip.