How do I land that job as an assistant or technician before Pharmacy School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmaNewbie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have just moved to the Bay Area, and am planning to apply to UCSF Pharmacy School in a couple of years. I used to teach science in Illinois, and before that, in London, UK. I am a Chemistry major, and for the past week, have driven to virtually every pharmacy in my area, talking to the pharmacy manager and handing in my resume. No luck so far!!

I started out being upfront about my plans, but got thinking that maybe they don't want someone who leaves after getting the training. In any case, I am smart, hard working, and just want to work in this field as soon as possible.

Does anyone have any practical pointers on how I should do this better? All help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I know you want to get paid, but worst case scenario, try looking for Pharmacy Technician openings, then ask if you can "Shadow" the pharmacist, because your wanting to get into pharmacy school. Think about it, if you were a PharmD, you'd probably want to return the favor to a newcomer right? I'm sure if you look for a PharmD, they'll astleast think about it,....especially if your volunteering without pay. I think there's definitely a high possibility that they'll ask you to start working later....you might just have to get your Technican certificate.

Hope this helps

Ive said this on a couple of posts but Ill repeat for your sake. If you really want a pharmacy position and don't care the location than I suggest that you call the district offices of the pharmacy chains in your area and ask for the district pharmacy training supervisor. Let them know of your interest and that you would be willing to work at any position if available. Usually there is a position open if not a floating tech position. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys, for the responses so far. I have called the district office at Long's, so I'll see how that turns out. Much as I'd like to get paid, volunteering might be a good way to get my foot in the door.

From some initial reading, I also think it's going to help if I study and sit for the PTCB exam. Can anyone recommend the best books for this?

Cheers!

You can search the forums or type in Pharmacy Technician in amazon.. a lot of people use Delmars, Mosby's pharmacy technician review books. Another book is Noah Reifman's Certification Review for Pharmacy Technicians.

sorry to hijack this thread, but what is the difference between an assistant and technician?

Hi Newbie, I first got licensed as a pharm tech by taking an online course. (You can also do it simply by studying the aforementioned books -- Mosby's is a good one -- and then taking the PTCB). Then, once you are licensed, your resume looks better because the license will show that you're motivated. Pharmacies may not offer you a tech job right away (and, in fact, most places won't even look at someone with zero experience), but they might offer you a clerk or cashier job, which can then be a "foot in the door" for a tech position.