Medical How do I list volunteer work on AMCAS activity section if hospital wont verify hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I volunteered at a hospital for a total of 64 hours. I recently contacted the coordinator asking if they could verify for me but they told me that they would not since I haven't completed the minimum 100 hours. I had to quit in the middle due to schedule conflicts and had to pick up another job for financial needs. Should I still put that 64 hours on my activity section even after knowing they won't verify for me? Or should I just not include it at all? Any advice would be appreciated!
Do you have other clinical volunteering hours elsewhere? If this is the only source, you might as well; if anyone investigates and gets a response that the hospital doesn't verify for fewer than 100 hours, and you said you did 64, you're good. (If you instead said you did 640 hours, well, then that's a problem.)

Members don't see this ad.

I do have other clinical volunteers like shadowing and medical assistant volunteer, but just not in a hospital setting (more like small clinics). Thank you for your advice!
Could you describe the experiences and where you did the additional observation?

I did the medical assistant volunteering during the summer of my college sophomore year with a pulmonologist who is now retired. I basically roomed patients, took vitals and collected medical history. Then, after I graduated, I shadowed a PCP at his own family clinic. For this one, I just observed how he interacted with patients and decided on treatment protocols. I was working at a hospital as a medical scribe but I was recently told to stay home and practice social distancing due to COVID 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.