How do I look to dental schools so far....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sellingthings101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Major: Psychology, taking prereqs along with a few additional biol(including biochem) courses
GPA: 4.0 (overall and science)
DAT: haven't taken it yet.
EC(over the past few years):
-Research with the chair of the chemistry department
-Secretary, Vice President, and President of Circle K International (an international volunteer organization)
-Psych tutor
-Member of National Residence Hall Honorary
-Most Active Member Award, Circle K International
-Volunteered sparingly at a low income dental clinic
-I also hope to TA for a chemistry lab next semester.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
but seriously why do people post these kind of threads? I mean do you expect people to say, " you need to improve your gpa?"

Reactions: 8 users
Your resume looks great but you seem to be lacking in common sense if you can't figure that out yourself

Reactions: 14 users
The only way you wouldn't get in somewhere is if you're painfully awkward in interviews, or if you decided to use the DAT for toilet paper.

but seriously why do people post these kind of threads? I mean do you expect people to say, " you need to improve your gpa?"

They want people to circlejerk around em.

Reactions: 1 users

We call this "flexing" or "humblebrag"

The whole, I don't know if I'll get in guys, do you think my 4.0, 25 AA and 6000 shadowing hours are enough?

Reactions: 6 users
You guys, I'm not trying to brag or anything I was really just curious. I don't see much about people's extracurriculars on here so I was just wondering if i was on par. I feel like I am not even close to how great you all are.

You guys, I'm not trying to brag or anything I was really just curious. I don't see much about people's extracurriculars on here so I was just wondering if i was on par. I feel like I am not even close to how great you all are.
How many hours of shadowing do you have?

I will answer honestly, I think what would make you perfect would be more volunteering, especially at something non dental related, in my opinion. Try to hit at least 100 hours minimum if you can. I didn't.. Also, try to get at least 80 hours minimum of shadowing. I didn't...

You'll do great but I agree adding shadowing and volunteer hours always helps. Good for you for getting prepared early though. That's always smart

I have a lot of non dental related volunteer hours because I am in a service organization but, I think I need to work on shadowing hours. What's the best way to find a dentist to shadow?

I have a lot of non dental related volunteer hours because I am in a service organization but, I think I need to work on shadowing hours. What's the best way to find a dentist to shadow?
For shadowing hours, I'd recommend two options

1) If possible, call your own dentist and ask if you can shadow, explain to them that you're interested in dentistry as a career and would love to know more
about the profession through shadowing him/her. If this is not the case, you can always just call any offices in the area or walk in and ask the front office if this is at all possible.

2) Do you have a pre-dental club at your school? If yes, many of them already have existing shadowing programs set up and just be sure to get involved with the club so you will be able to make use of the resources once you are an active member.

Good luck.

Yikes. Well, there's always MD school

Reactions: 1 user