Veterinary How do I make myself a better applicant with a low undergraduate GPA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently graduated from Auburn in May with a GPA of 2.5 with an animal science degree. I was a unfocused immature student athlete that put little to 0 effort during my undergraduate. I am currently retaking prerequisites at a different university and receiving nothing lower than A and all of my classes so far. I have been working at 24 emergency vet hospital since June of 2019 therefore I will have the hours. I have 2 experience in equine, but no research experience. I was suppose to volunteer in a DNA lab this summer at our local museum but that will be put on hold due to cover 19. Do you guys have any advice (HELPFUL) on how to make myself an all around better applicant?
Honestly, with a GPA sub 3.0, you're likely going to need to do a SMP (special masters program) prove you can handle the rigors of veterinary school, even if you retake the pre-reqs. Gaining more exposure via research will be beneficial and you should be able to do that once covid19 passes.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you talked with admissions recruiters and current students at vet schools? You might want to introduce yourself to the pre-vet forums here to get some insight on how to address that low GPA. You didn't do a full WAMC request, so focus on your grades, experiences, and motivation to pursue vet med.

Status
Not open for further replies.