How do I prep for MCAT...in France??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dukejen04

MS4
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK- I'm moving to France to play professional sports. I have a one-year contract right now, but have the option to stay for two years, or more depending on how I feel, and how eager I am to get back to the states and go to med school (PS. I am a US citizen).

Anyway- I am planning on taking the MCAT in summer of '08- that's what my advisor suggested since I am on the fence about whether or not to come back and do a post-bacc (my GPA is borderline, and ECs are very strong).

I have the Kaplan books (I took a course a few years ago when I thought I would apply to med school, but then my plans changed) and I have the Audio Osmosis CDs. I feel like I have what I need to review the material, but I am concerned about having enough practice problems. Kaplan was great for that, but I will be overseas and travelling and will not have access to a Kaplan center, so I need some other suggestions.

Ideas? Any good resources for doing practice problems? Are the Examkrackers 1001 questions worth the investment? The Kaplan Q-bank is online, which is a major investment, but it could be worth it? Any other books/resources where I can get tons and tons of practice problems (besides the AAMC exams which always seem a little too straightforward)?

Anybody have a good 1-year study plan??? I want to rock this test but am worried about how to do it on my own, in a foreign country!

Members don't see this ad.

For starters... professional sports in France? You're super, super cool. Wow. I wish I could play any form of professional sports for some time before medical school.

As for a concrete studying plan, I feel that doing practice problems can only help so much. The key to doing well on the test is a breadth of knowledge regarding the sciences. The more you know, and the better you understand what you know, the better you'll do. Practice problems only help to highlight your weaknesses and help you get comfortable with the format of the test.

The EK1001s might be worth the investment, depending how you're doing on the test. I'd suggest doing a few full length tests and see how you do. If you're still at below a 30 after finishing studying the Kaplan material in detail, the EK1001 might help you improve further.

It's difficult to study the MCATs on your own without a support group. Just remember that at the end of the day, you always had been doing it on your own. Your friends can give you advices but they can't study for you. You can do this.

I think the location is fairly irrevelent. During my study abroad I met people who were studying for the MCAT. It is a matter of time scheduling more than anything. The MCAT is taken as an individual, and any question that needs answered can usually be found online. In addition, while I'm sure you will be extremely busy, you may be able to find some american or canadian premeds at a local university doing an exchange program. You can only pound away at the sciences so long, the biggest difficulty will be setting aside a day to do a practice exam every now and then.

I'm confused though. In one of your previous posts you seemed to do very well, and got a 36 on the MCAT. That is pretty damn good. I think you know how to study. Are you just retaking it because you are so far removed or what?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah- I will have to take it again since it will be a long time, and it won't count anymore. And now I haven't taken classes in a while, so for the most part it is like starting from scratch.

I know I CAN do it- but I also know that now I won't have the Kaplan resources available to me in the same way. And I hate to admit it- but when I learned all of the stuff, it wasn't permanently retained.

This time it is nice because I can take a year to casually relearn the material before I do the intensive 2 months of practice at the end...Last time I thought that knowing the material was key, but practicing was DEFINITELY really important.

Basically, Kaplan held my hand last time and now I am afraid without it!!

I'm taking the MCAT in September and cracking down on my studying. If you are still in France and in the Parisian area let me know!