Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew9Thirtyfive

kitty cat yin yang
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am scheduled for an interview and am currently practicing using various resources. Can anyone give me additional guidance that might assist me with this matter?

Thank you. I would really appreciate all the help I can get.
Recording yourself while doing a mock interview really helps. A lot of people have nervous ticks that come out when they feel like they're under pressure, and watching yourself will let you see what they are so that you can practice keeping them in check. For example, I swivel a lot in my chair when I'm in situations like that (as a pre-med, when I was interviewing, and now as a med student, when I'm interviewing patients and SPs). So I either purposely take a chair that doesn't swivel, or I make sure to plant my feet on the floor.

The other thing I would say is to just practice talking to people about yourself. The interview is really to see if the person matches the paper. They want to get to know you and make sure you're a person that will fit with their school. They don't want robots with canned answers, they want people who can have a conversation. It can be weird to answer questions about yourself, but the more you do it the easier it gets. You can practice with friends just be having them ask you some interview style questions. Having the muscle memory to just be relaxed when you answer will go a long way.

The last thing I'll say is to not script your answers. For the obvious questions like "tell me about yourself" or "why physician" you can come up with a bulleted list of points you want to hit and then just practice organically telling them to your friends without just rattling off a memorized spiel. For the other things like strengths, examples of leadership, etc., just have the examples in mind you would want to use and then let yourself talk about them naturally.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.