How do I prove that I'm invested in my extracurricular (creative writing)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreeAmyloidBeta

Reaction score
Hey guys, my personal passion hobby is creative writing. I take it seriously, and I definitely consider it the "defining extracurricular" that I would like to emphasize on my application (which is a long ways away from now; I'm only a freshman rn).
I'm not really sure what I can put to prove that this is kind of my thing. For example, it's obvious for sports, because you put what team you were on and years played. But I'm not really sure if I have much to show for creative writing; it's just something I kind of do on my own.
This is all besides the personal essay component, just because I feel like most people are proficient enough to write a really solid essay.
Do medical schools accept portfolios? I doubt they would even have time to go through all of that.
Just looking for guidance on what I can use as "evidence". I've been thinking about publishing independently and creating a Fiverr. I just want some sort of bread crumb trail that shows that I do what I say I do.

Members don't see this ad.

Publishing in school journals, attending conferences, and committing to other activities (e.g., staffing the university writing center) that leave tracks will help.

Reactions: 2 users
Publishing in school journals, attending conferences, and committing to other activities (e.g., staffing the university writing center) that leave tracks will help.
. . . mentoring high school students in Creative Writing, writing for the campus newspaper, becoming an editor of same, start a writing group at your school for students who share your passion, . . .

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, my personal passion hobby is creative writing. I take it seriously, and I definitely consider it the "defining extracurricular" that I would like to emphasize on my application (which is a long ways away from now; I'm only a freshman rn).
I'm not really sure what I can put to prove that this is kind of my thing. For example, it's obvious for sports, because you put what team you were on and years played. But I'm not really sure if I have much to show for creative writing; it's just something I kind of do on my own.
This is all besides the personal essay component, just because I feel like most people are proficient enough to write a really solid essay.
Do medical schools accept portfolios? I doubt they would even have time to go through all of that.
Just looking for guidance on what I can use as "evidence". I've been thinking about publishing independently and creating a Fiverr. I just want some sort of bread crumb trail that shows that I do what I say I do.
My feeling is that you don't have to prove anything. We don't ask painters to provide a portfolio.

Actually, you sending a portfolio is overweening and off-putting.

the reason we ask about hobbies is to see that you're human being, and not an automaton.

Reactions: 3 users
Bold of you to assume most people are able to write a really solid personal statement

Reactions: 1 user
Get published? You can list a hobby on your application and in the description you can state that your short story or poem or essay was published in xyz.

You could start a blog with your output.

Just say that you do it. People list weightlifting as a hobby and no one asks to see their muscles. ;)

I know you have limited space to talk about it, but instead of trying to leave a trail of commitment (obviously hard to prove with something like this), I would try to emphasize how creative writing has influenced your perspective on the world. I was a CW major and wrote extensively in my secondaries about how it made me a more observant, empathetic, tolerant, and patient person.