How do I quit my research position?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glassesvar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's time to move on from my research position that i've been at for the past 3 years, but I'm not sure how exactly to quit. I want to make sure I do it gracefully and don't piss anyone off so I can get an LOR later if needed.

I don't see my PI very often (only met with him a few times), so I'm not sure if I should request a meeting with him, email him, or tell someone else in my lab that I work with more often.

ANYONE PLEASE HELP

Members don't see this ad.

Who do you think you'd be asking for a LOR from, the PI? If so, I'd say talk to him at some point face-to-face. I would ask the person I worked with most often to how you should go about arranging this or even asking if they can help you arrange it. Ask that person if they want to join you. Then you can use this as an opportunity to thank them both for the opportunity and guidance. You may want to even consider bringing up the LOR at this point since it's always best to ask for these in person anyways and you'll be fresh in their minds still at this point.

Face to face

Really appreciate the privilege to work here, as I prepare for my med school applications I need to adjust my schedule and would need to be off the schedule by (date). You’re such a big part of my training so far that a letter of recommendation from you would mean a lot to my application. Would you feel that you could give a positive recommendation of me based on my time here?

If so you need to have already signed up for inter folio so you can hand them the printed form and a printed CV along with a printed resignation. If they prefer you can email them the forms.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the above. I also recommend talking to all your supervisors and not just the one who directly oversees you. I only spoke to my PI and in hindsight I would've also said my goodbyes to the faculty members who headed the lab along with everyone else.

I had a grad student in my lab become one of my TAs for a class and she still thought I was a part of the lab despite having quit 3 months prior. Reduce confusion by formally saying goodbye to everyone and making an announcement at a lab meeting after you tell your supervisor.

Who do you think you'd be asking for a LOR from, the PI? If so, I'd say talk to him at some point face-to-face. I would ask the person I worked with most often to how you should go about arranging this or even asking if they can help you arrange it. Ask that person if they want to join you. Then you can use this as an opportunity to thank them both for the opportunity and guidance. You may want to even consider bringing up the LOR at this point since it's always best to ask for these in person anyways and you'll be fresh in their minds still at this point.

See I would do this, but he’s an extremely busy person, and I feel like it would be rude to schedule a meeting with him and just show up and be like “yeah I’m quitting.”

He also isn’t available since he’s out of the country for the next couple of weeks.

Offer to meet in person or maybe with someone else in the lab who is more hands-on and in a supervisory position. Give lots of lead time. And offer to train your replacement(s). That is the single most important thing to do. Usually no one is irreplaceable - if they train the next generation. PI's understand that no one will stay in their lab forever, but they do expect that you will have respect for their science by passing the baton in a responsible manner.

Reactions: 2 users